6 replies to this topic

#1 cwade61

cwade61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hello all,

I'm a 25-year-old living with CML in Michigan. I'm currently a college student in my senior year, and I turn 26 on August 31. My father's insurance will be dropping me that day. I was unable to get a new policy because of my pre-existing condition, so I'm forced to start COBRA through my dad's insurance. The copays for medication and treatment are extremely affordable, but the premium for the policy is $600/month. This puts me in a bind, because my dad wants me to finish school, but I know he can't afford the payments.

I guess I'm looking for resources for COBRA assistance. Everything that I have found thus far pertains to co-payment assistance, and that really does nothing for me. If anyone has any information, it would be extremely appreciated.

Charlie

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi, Charlie,

I don't have any answers for you, per se. If you will search in the upper right corner with the key word

"Insurance" you will find some earlier discussions.

Also, there is a discussion board on this site for "Financial and Insurance Issues". Hope this offers some help.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hi Charlie:  The only thing I can tell you is that I had to go on COBRA a few years back when my husband lost his job, and we could not let our insurance lapse.  We had to go right from his insurance to COBRA until he got another job.  IT cost us ove $800 a month until his new job picked up insurance for him again.  Its a tough decision, especially if you do not have money to fall back on.  We had to cash in my  husbands 401K at the time to pay for it.  It is hard when your dealing with a pre-existing condition.  If you find out anything about some sort of help you can get, please share with everyone in case somebody else runs into this problem.

Good Luck!!   These Insurances can be a real pain to deal with.

Susan

#4 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

Preexisting condions issues are scheduled to go away in 17 months, so COBRA may be able to bridge the gap for you.

#5 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Charlie, my first two yrs of CML were financially difficult for me. My Onc brought in the social worker at the cancer center where I went and she was a blessing! My advice to you is to talk with the social worker connected with your Onc and tell her your problem. She should be aware of  programs/options that could possibly help you. Also, if you find yourself without insurance for six months, check out the new PCIP program.

http://www.healthcar...plan/index.html

Good luck. I really feel bad for all the people with insurance problems like this. Hopefully, 2014 will be better!

#6 cwade61

cwade61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Thank you!

#7 PhoenixPat

PhoenixPat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hi Charlie -

The Patient Advocate Foundation helps with insurance issues: http://www.patientadvocate.org/

Also, given your situation, you may want to become familiar with the new Pre-Existing Condition Insurance program made possible by the Affordable Care Act. It makes makes health coverage available to U.S. citizens or those residing here legally who have been denied health insurance because of a pre-existing condition and have been uninsured for at least six months. http://www.healthcar...plan/index.html

Hope this helps!

Pat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users