6 replies to this topic

#1 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have set a new world record for earliest annual leave day.  After just 2 days in a new school with a brand new set of germs I am down for the count.  Holy crap, have I been sick this weekend!  Feel like I've been run over by a steam-roller, lost my voice, snot-filled head.  I have a feeling this is going to be one heck of a year.  If the leukemia doesn't kill me, this job surely will.

Marnie

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi Marnie:  Anyone who is a teacher is exposed to so much, let alone having Leukemia.  It has to be rough for you to try to avoid the germs that are just flying everywhere.  Hope you start to feel better soon.  I used to lose my voice a lot when I would get sick, and I would just do the tea with lemon all day long.  Hope you can rest for a few days before you have to go back.  Good Luck

#3 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

A couple of days ago, I commented to my new principal that I was just so delighted with the way the students at this school have been taught to shake hands and introduce themselves.  I'm not so delighted any more.  Lots of germs on all of those little hands that I shook.  In my pre-leukemia days, I would have been back at school despite being sick.  Nowadays, I try to baby myself a little bit more.  It's terribly difficult being out the first full week of school.  I don't know the routine, the kids don't know the routine. . .and I have one totally out-of-control student.  I'll be out Tuesday afternoon for district training, and Wednesday for traffic court (I DID stop at the stop sign!!!  I will have my day in court, because the officer is mistaken!). 

This will be a very rough week in my classroom.  The job stress has been incredible this year.  6th grade moved from middle school down to elementary.  Instead of teaching just math, I'm teaching everything.  None of the supplies got ordered for 6th grade (despite my offering to do the ordering for admin last spring!!  I KNEW this would happen).My teammate is a nice lady, but overwhelmed, so I feel like I am carrying her on my back.  It's going to be a very long year. 

I didn't know what I was signing on for 26 years ago when I went into teaching.  It used to be fun.  It's not any more.

Thanks for the tip on tea and lemon.  I've been doing hot chocolate because the warmth feels so good.  Maybe I'll switch it up.  I'm a little concerned about the number of decongestants and aleve I've been taking, but it's the only way I've been able to get beyond laying on the bathroom floor and moaning.  This one has really wiped me out.  And my nose is rubbed raw.  Ow.

#4 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Marnie, someone needs to fix you a lemon,onion,honey stew,also chicken soup helps, hope you get to feeling better.

#5 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm thinking you need a bowl of my husband's chili.  It's better than any decongestant I've ever taken. 

The urchins certainly do spread the diseases around.  My doctor is making me get many vaccines (due to my age, as well as my CML diagnosis), including the DPT shot.  Apparently, our immunity has faded over the years, and whooping cough is making a comeback.  When you're recovered, ask your doctor whether it's advisable for you to get a DPT booster.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ugh. . .more shots. . .but you are probably right.  I've heard that whooping cough is supposed to be bad this year.  Not sure if I could do your husband's chili. . .I'm from Minnesota, where we eat things white and bland.  On the other hand, if it would clear my head, it might be worth a try. . .

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hi Marnie,

Have you gotten the pneumonia shot? After I got pneumonia 3 weeks after dx as soon as I was allowed to I got that shot. Then about 3 weeks later I got my first flu shot. I really think that helped me. I don't work with the public anymore so I've been pretty lucky. My daughter works around children, plus my 2 grandsons are 7&9, so she's always sick. I feel so bad that I can't help her out more, but every time I'm around a child with a cold I get sick too. I hope you adjust better. Those adorable little children are demons in disguise,who throw germs in the air.   Take care Billie

PS I have to tell you this it's a classic, I'm Catholic and my neighbor and I went to mass every Sunday together with our kids. We always received communion, it was just the wafer. Several years ago when they started serving wine to everybody out of the same chalice, I said no way, my kids couldn't wait!!!  The very first mass they served the wine my neighbors daughter threw up all over a 4 ft radius of anyone around us.

It was like the exorcist. Confusious say "Only drink wine at home".!!!!!!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users