13 replies to this topic

#1 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

Was at a party last night, good friends, good music, good food, and extremely good wine, forgot all about my CML and actually felt completely normal for the first time since i was DX`d

Think i had 6 glasses of wine, maybe more, i feel its going to be hard to get my Gleevec down today.

Last PCR one month ago was at 3% IS, and i am going for a new checkup this Thursday.

Luckily my liver levels have been normal (at least up until this weekend)

Oh well, thanks for letting me vent a bit as i feel quite guilty after last night. (I feel since i have CML its not okay for me to party)

Unfortunately drinking is a big part of Norway`s culture, and everyone tends to drink a bit to much. (Almost as bad as the British. Sorry ChrisC, but you know its true )

Next weekend im going to a class reunion party with people i went with through 1-9th grade, and im guessing there will be wine at that party as well. (Oh no)

Anyway, have a great weekend people, hope you all are doing well, or at least better than me. Gleevec on top of a hangover is NOT recommended.

Greetings from Norway.

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

TeddyB. . .get over the guilt!  As long as your liver levels are o.k. you don't need to worry about overindulging occassionally.  I am suffering with you right now.  First week with kids at school, new school, horrific start to the school year.. .worst in 26 years of teaching.  I won't go into the details.  I have picked up germs from the new school and new age-level of students, so not only do I have a hangover from the "we survived the first week of school," I also havethe worst headcold on the planet. . .if the leukemia doesn't kill me, this job sure will. 

Marnie

#3 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Wow Marnie, that sounds rough. I hope next week is easier on you.

As for the guilt part, you are right, i will try not to feel so guilty next time.

I found out that Gleevec takes hangovers to a new level, but at least the pill is still "down"

#4 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi TeddyB,

Live and learn, you're doing fine. Wine . . . uh whine? . . . away! And feel better soon, I hope.

You say: "(Almost as bad as the British. Sorry ChrisC, but you know its true )"

I'll attribute it to your "hangover," and thanks for apologizing, you are kind — but why me?

Seems like you are suggesting that I am British (not that there's anything wrong with that!), when in fact I am very American

This is similar to recently being taken to task by Vicki (vwoyak) for assuming that she was over 50 —  I didn't!

I asked when and where this happened, and didn't get an answer. . . .

Is someone else posting as me? Huh, and I only see the fun replies!

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#5 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sorry ChrisC, i am pretty sure i read in one of your posts something referring to a British city or British cancer center perhaps, but i cant find that thread today of course. Therefore i assumed you were a Brit

I dont think anyone else is posting as you, not that i know for sure of course.

Its good to hang out with friends again and feel fairly normal, havent had fun like that since way before Dx, as for the drinking, a few times pr year is enough, the hangover just isnt worth it

#6 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, TeddyB. Again, enjoy your life, live every day fully: it's yours to enjoy!

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hey TeddyB,

The first few times I tried to drink wine like I used to before the CML and the Sprycel I thought I was never going to feel better.  I used to sit down in an evening and have several glasses or drinks, now if I have two in a row I pay for it.  I am careful because my liver enzymes are high, so although I would like to enjoy I do not, isn't worth the risk.  I have a nice selection of wines and beverages if company comes over and they comment on how many I have.  (this is only because I now do not drink them, )  Hope you are feeling much better and don't be so hard on yourself, I for one love the times when I completely forget about the damned CML, even if it gave me a killer headache and fire ant stomach in the morning.

Pam

#8 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi TeddyB,

It might be Phil you're thinking of. Glad you had fun and forgot about CML for a while.

#9 Girla

Girla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

where do you live in Norway? ALL my ancestors are from there...Sirdalen area. My grandfather was full blood Norwegian & I was named for him. Torjie

#10 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

GerryL you are right!

PhilB and ChrisC both have strange hats in their photos, i think thats why mixed them up.

Pam, im sorry your liver values are high, best to take it easy then. Feeling abit better today, but the kids got up at 05:30AM so im still realy tired, going to have a nap around lunch time.

Girla: I live in Buskerud, about 1 hour drive from Oslo. Sirdalen is a great area, we used to have a cabin not so far from Sirdal, very nice area

#11 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:20 AM

I once visited a lady I knew in Norway. Flew into Bergen and took the train to Oslo.  She lived in a house overlooking the fjord at Ljan.  Just a magnificent view and the rest of the country was equally so....    You are so fortunate...

Steve

#12 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Thank you Steve, makes me proud to hear people from other countries say that

#13 Girla

Girla

• Members