7 replies to this topic

#1 Nats

Nats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hi,

I was dx in June 2009 with CML.  Went onto Gleevec, reached full remission but switched to Sprycel in Nov 2010.  PCR test in May this year picked up that the leukemia is active again Now going on to Tasigna.  Sprycel just not working anymore. Has anyone had this happen to them?

#2 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

I was on Gleevec for 18 months and was at a 3.99 log reduction, and then switched to Sprycel because Gleevec became ineffective. While on Sprycel I went from a 2.33 to a 2.96 reduction (I don't receive the international number). After the side effects became too bad, I stopped treatment for five weeks and then started Tasigna a couple months ago. I've been on a half dose and I went from a 2.96 to a 3.34 reduction. I've had no side effects at all and feel the best I have since I was diagnosed.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

You would need to be more specific about what "active again" means,  what PCR levels you achieved, and what it is now. 

Anyway, if it is a huge jump and you have lost CCyR, then you should have a Kinase Mutation Test done.

#4 Nats

Nats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

Hi Trey,

Thanks for the reply.  My PCR level was at 0.2, climbed to 3.3 and was at 8.3 at the last test.  I did have my bone marrow tested for mutation and there was none.  This confused my haematologist but she chatted to some of her collegues and found one that had the same experience with a patient.  The patient was put on Tasigna and is now stable.  I started with the Tasigna on Friday and so far, no major side effects.  Will have a PCR test done in a month's time - hoping that the levels will start decreasing again.

#5 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

Why did you switch from Gleevec to Sprycel? Regards, Frank

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Changing drugs was a good choice.  You should have another PCR done after a month or so on Tasigna.  Kinase mutations only account for about 1/3 of all cases of drug resistance. 

#7 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Trey,

What's responsible for the other two thirds?

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Other causes include low drug uptake from the alimentary canal, low uptake into the leukemic WBCs (the only place the drug does its job), leukemic cell over-expression of LYN and other signalling pathways, leukemic cells finding alternate methods of survival (especially higher level leukemic stem cells), several other lesser causes, and probably several unknown causes that have not been discovered.

http://www.scienceco...in_cml_patients

http://www.molecular.../content/3/1/15

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users