2 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleBPT

MichelleBPT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi All,

It's been a while since I have been on here but I could definitely use some of your advice.  I was diagnosed in May 2009 and have been taking 600mg of Gleevec since then.  I have been very stable without any complications for the entire course of treatment.  I recently got engaged to my longtime boyfriend and we are discussing starting a family.  I originally thought I would have to go off Gleevec if I was to become pregnant but I recently saw my oncologist who told me I COULD continue to take Gleevec during pregnancy since it targets a specific chromosomal mutation.  I wanted to see what you all have heard since everything I read has indicated Gleevec is not safe.  Thanks for your help

Michelle

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Both the FDA and Novartis, maker of Gleevec, warn fairly strongly that it is not recommended.  Your Onc does not understand the drug very well, or he would not have said that. 

Read pages 11 - 12:

https://docs.google....rLOer37zd5WAdcg

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Michelle:  Congratulations on your Engagement.  Trey just said it perfectly.  No you cannot take Gleevec well Pregnant.  I am very surprised that your Oncologist said that.  Are you PCRU at this point?  Your also taking a high dose of Gleevec.  From what I know from past cases,anyone who got pregnant or wanted to get pregnant had to stop their TKI treatment till they delivered their baby.  I know I would not want to be taking any kind of drug for cancer, and be pregnant at the same time.  It does sound like your Oncologist is not very well informed.  Is this the same doctor that you have had since you were diagnosed?

There are a lot of other drugs that nobody should take during pregnancy.  Check things out really well.

Take Care

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users