• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aki

Aki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Diagnosed in May and WBC back to normal (from 27 to 4) in 2 weeks. Onc has asked for another BMP in Aug? Is it necessary? All I have seen is at 6-month?

#2 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

It doesn't seem like it's too soon to have a Basic Metabolic Panel.

Now, if he was repeating the Bone Marrow Biopsy already, that would be pretty unusual.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#3 Aki

Aki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

That's what I thought. It is a Bone Marrow Procedure (biopsy and aspiration) that the Inc ordered. I read the second one is usually ordered at 6-month? What would be the purpose of doing this so soon?

#4 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

A lot of oncs aren't doing a BMB after diagnosis anymore unless there is a reason for it, such as blood counts or pcr not responding as expected. 

#5 Aki

Aki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I see. My response has been good so far. I am wondering why another BMP is necessary. What types of tests are normally done during 3-month and can they be obtained through blood draw?

#6 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

My 3-month was the usual CBC and metabolic panel, plus pcr, all from blood.

#7 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Ditto for my 3-month test, which also include the CBC & PCR tests.  My hem/onc said he'd like a BMB at 1 year.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi:  I had to do a BMB every 3 months until I achieved a complete cytogenetic response, then after that it was just blood work every 3 months. Every 6 month blood draw included a PCR test.  I have been doing it that way now for over 10 years.

Susan

#9 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Seems like the test schedules are all over the place.  My neighbor - who also has CML - has never had a BMB.

#10 Aki

Aki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Yes, it does seem to be inconsistent. The question is then what results are needed from BPM that can't be done through blood draw and how significant it is at month 3. Some question for my onc, I guess.

#11 sharcare

sharcare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

What does CBC and PCR stand for?

#12 sharcare

sharcare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

AKI, How did ur counts go down so quickly? Onmeds?  Which?  I'm newly dx (July 6th) starting Sprycel when it arrives, but my counts have gone up since first being dx.

#13 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

CBC = complete blood count.  They will take this weekly at first diagnosis, then probably monthly, and then quarterly.  You should be watching your WBC (white blood count) and your RBC (red blood count).  Have your oncologist go over the results and explain things that you don't understand.

PCR - polymerese chain reaction (not sure if I spelled it correctly).  You will have this blood test quarterly after your baseline test.  This is the test that determines how well the medication is decreasing the leukemic load in your blood.  Sprycel should bring the counts down quickly.  Have your doctor explain about log reductions.  Be sure that your doc knows if the lab uses International Scale (IS) or the old scale. 

CMP = Complete Metabolic Panel.  This test should be done quarterly, and it measures a number of things.  The one to watch most closely is liver toxicity, as TKI meds can be hard on the liver for some people.

It is typically that your WBC will go up until you get started on Sprycel.  Then it should come down fairly quickly.  Your doc (and you) should be looking at the NCCN guidelines to see that you are accomplishing certain landmarks.  Ask your oncologist about these guidelines if he/she hasn't talked about them with you.

It's important to get a copy of all lab tests for your own records.  Don't just rely on your doctor to keep track of your treatment.  As you become familiar with your disease and its treatment, all of the acronyms and terminology will become less confusing.  It's a lot to take in right now. . .but do take the step of starting your own record of test results. 

Good luck, and keep asking questions as you have them.  As I think of questions, I put them in a document on my computer.  Then I print it out and bring it to my appointment so that I remember to ask the doctor.  If I don't have my list of questions along, I forget to ask things that I've been wondering about.  As soon as I get home from my appointment, I start my new list of questions for the next visit.  You are paying top dollar to meet with the oncologist.  You need to be sure you get your money's worth out of the appointment.

God luck,

Marnie

#14 sharcare

sharcare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Marnie,  Yes I do get copies of all my lab work etc.  I just haven't really taken a good look at them caue I didn't know hat they meant.  I plan on asking my dr. more questions at my next appt. (a week after starting Sprycel)  I'm going to copy/paste and print all these abbreviatons. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users