• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm thinking about getting a medical id  bracelet showing cml, 400mg gleevec/day.  I think if I was to get in an accident and unconcious/unable to speak  then emergency room  docs/personnelle might need to know this??  Does anyone have a med bracelet or is it really necessary?

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have a med bracelet (necklace, actually) for my penicillin allergy.  I never wear it.  I wouldn't even consider wearing one for Sprycel.  I can't imagine being unconscious long enough for it to matter, and if you're going into surgery, your next of kin people would have the info to give the surgeon.  If it really mattered.  Just my opinion.

Marnie

#3 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

yeah your right - i think im being overly cautious and letting my imagination get the better of me - thanks  for the response.

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm with you on that (the imagination thing).  When I travel, I always carry way more Sprycel than I'll ever need. . .just in case I get kidnapped or something.  Not going to happen, but I pack the extra anyway.  Can't help it. . .my imagination runs away with me too.

Marnie

#5 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

What a conincidence, I just picked up a brochure for one today. My fear is having to receive medical treatment and getting a med that really conflicts with the Tasigna. I was going to just have "see medication list in wallet" inscribed.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

I like the idea of more jewelry though!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi Tess,

I wear a medic alert bracelet, because I am allergic to demerol, & bee stings. When I got cml I just had the engraver add cml on it. Like Pat said she likes the idea of more jewelry. I wear my watch on my left wrist, and my mab on my right wrist , throw on a pair of earrings and I'm ready to go!            Billie

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hey WW,

What if you fall out of a hot air balloon and lose your wallet!!!!

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Marnie,

I pity the poor person who would try to kidnap you.

Billie

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi Billie:  Its almost midnight, and I am still up and reading your responses.  You crack me up all the time.  I will be laughing as I get ready to finally call it a day and go get some sleep.

Good Night and God Bless

Susan

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Oh Susan,

Sciatica and a toothache! I'm so sorry.  How about we go to the likker store and buy a bottle of ripple, you know the good stuff that is only $1.95 a bottle and we have to drink it out of a paper bag, we'll sit on a park bench, and just watch and see how the other half lives. I hear ripple is good for relieving pain.  Trust me I'll get you in good shape for the wedding in August.   Luv Billie

#12 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hey Billie. . . maybe I could pack the extra Sprycel, get myself kidnapped, and then scare the guy so much that he PAYS my husband to take me back!!  This is a plan that might work out!  I could retire early!

Marnie

#13 StainedGlass

StainedGlass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

I always wear a medical bracelet with my name, type of leukemia (rare), blood type, emergency contact, and the name of my port. It's just a safety thing. In any situation where I can't tell emergency personnel this minimal info, it might save my life. I also have a second bracelet that includes this info and a DNR and where to locate my living will (2 hospitals and my purse). I wear the second bracelet when I'm doing very bad. I believe I should only have to die once (hopefully not soon). Make your decision based on your condition, faith, and situation. It's an inexpensive way to give medical personnel a heads up. What have do you have to lose?       Judi

#14 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Marnie,

I like that idea, then you can sit on the park bench with Susan and I and anyone else who cares to join us. Then you can take us all on another one of your thrill seeking-death defying adventures. But I don't do caves. If I go anywhere with you I'm damn sure going to wear my medic alert bracelet. Who knows your friendly moose might not like me as well as he does you. Or if I end up at the bottom of the grand canyon they won't know who I was but they'll know what I had. Geez I'm not sure Ron would take me back. He'd probably up the ante if they would keep me. Either way I'm afraid I'd be sol.    Billie

#15 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I thought about it early on, but then I decided not to.  I don't need another reminder in my face all the time.  I'm not too concerned about anything they would give me for trauma and anything beyond that I assume they will get in touch with my family who will let them know.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#16 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

I've been on the fence concerning medical ids.  It certainly doesn't hurt to have one.  I agree with Woof, what if they give you something in the hospital that conflicts with your TKI drug?  I take gleevec and it supposedly is hard on the liver.  What if they give me something that's even more harsh on the liver and the two drugs together have disastrous consequences?  I don't know.  I'm thinking about getting a medical id key chain.  I don't really want to wear jewelry that advertises my CML. 

#17 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I wear one for CML that is sterling silver because I am allergic to other metals. So it is sort of pretty. I was at the lab having my blood drawn and the tech asked about my bracelet. I told him it was because I had CML leukemia and then he asked me if I wanted to donate blood. I told him I can't because I have leukemia and he looked at me like I was crazy. He proceeded to miss my vein on the first arm and moved to the second. I was starting to worry because he was such an idiot about leukemia and donating blood I thought he is never going to be able to hit a vein to save his life. On the third try he finally got it. If I ever get that guy again, I will wait for the next tech. 

#18 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Rissa,

I wear my id bracelet all the time, nowadays people wear bracelets all the time.Actually no one even notices it. But trained medical personel will spot it immediately.      Billie

Because of other health problems my cardiologist told me to wear one. I was given a shot of demerol once and I went into anaphylactic shock, in a car accident one of the first things they give you is demerol. So if I'm ever in a situation where I can't talk,  hee hee highly unlikely, it gives me peace of mind.

Message was edited by: Billie Murawski

#19 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Personally I would not wear one for CML since the only result would be a delay in emergency care while the confused EMS folks tried to figure out what a TKI drug was.  I also don't know of any emergency drug or procedure that should be withheld because of a potential interaction or downside impact given that it is an emergency situation (note that you would need to be unconscious or mentally incapacitated for it to be read at all).  So it could actually be counter-productive unless someone has other serious conditions that would require a bracelet. 

#20 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

HI:  I just read your reply.  I have not been on much the past few days.  I guess I have to go get this toothaache taken care of, and the Sciatica is still there. Its worse in the morning when I first get up.

You make me laugh so hard that I have tears running down my leg. 

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users