• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnc

Johnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have been on Gleeves for approx. 3 months it appears my RDW and Monocytes are going into the high range.They have always been in the high normal range but are now in the high range.

Is this a function of CML, Gleevecs and when these counts move higher is this a lack  of Vit B?

Thanks,

John

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

RDW is one of the "lesser" blood counts which can show something about blood quality.  It simply means that your red blood cells vary in size from small to large, which indicates that your good blood cells are struggling to regain normal blood quality.  Generally the red cells are about the same size.  RDW can go high during the first year or so.  Mine got up to 22 before it came back down to normal slowly over time.  Nothing much you can do about it.  Some things just take time to normalize. 

Are the monocytes high in the absolute count or percentage?  Percentage numbers can mislead since they need to add up to 100%, so if one type is low (usually the neutrophils after taking the TKI drug for a few months) the other types can show as high when they are not.  Only use the absolute numbers.

#3 Johnc

Johnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Trey

The RDW is a percentage number and the monocytes are too. The monocytes pure numbers are still in normal range. The other numbers in tat category must have gone way low for the monocytes % to go high. Thanks for the explanation. So this has nothing to do with Vit B deficiency?

Thanks for the quick response

Johnc

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

The RDW is high if it says it is, regardless of percentages.  But Monocytes are only high if the absolute number says it is high.  Your Monocytes are normal since the absolute number is normal.

All this has nothing to do with B-12 or any vitamin, mineral, or ice cream deficiencies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users