4 replies to this topic

#1 kendavies

kendavies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

Dare we hope?

A report in the July issue of Cancer Cell refers to blocking a fundamental process within cancer cells which selectively kills them whilst sparing normal cells.

Phase 1 trials are commencing at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne Australia for about 40 leukaemia and lymphoma patients.

Use of the drug, CX-5461, in pre-clinical laboratory models showed the treatment was most successful at attacking those particular cancers.

There is a report in Science Daily, http://www.scienceda...07/120709133544

There is much reporting in the Australian Press,

eg. http://www.adelaiden...0-1226422129538

Please let it be exciting!

#2 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Very interesting.

I think the correct link is: http://www.scienceda...20709133544.htm

I sure hope this can be effective in CML.

#3 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

See also this link :    Can the new drug CX-5461 cure leukemia?

#4 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

"Studies were done in vivo (within the living) models of blood cancers and demonstrated that the drug removed malignant cells from the bloodstream, while allowing normal healthy blood cells to grow, thus differentiating CX-5461 from genotoxic treatments. Targeting cancer's dependence upon Pol I to trigger cancer-specific activation of p53 signifies an entirely new approach to cancer therapy."

Any indications on how CX-5461 will work on CML in specific?

"The trial will be open for both lymphomas and leukaemias that have not responded optimally to other treatments," Professor McArthur said.

"Our initial studies have focused on cancers that are hard to treat, because it's a real unmet need there and patients with those cancers desperately need new treatments, which is why we're focused initially on that area."

I guess CML does not fall into the hard to treat category, except of course for those who does not respond to treatment with standard tki`s.

I hope some "hard to treat" CML`ers will get the chance to join the trial.

Also, would CX-5461 be considered a treatment like a tki, or is it in more of a cure category?

I guess its too early to tell really, but if anyone has more knowledge on the subject, please share

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

No knowledge - but does this mean it only removes the cancer from the blood stream rather than stopping the cancer from being created in the first place. Will be great for other other blood cancers that don't have a TKI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users