• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

The only time I've been hospitized since my CML Dx was four years age exactly for  diverticulitis. I spent 14 days in the hospital while they tried to decide on surgery or not (didn't have the operation). Fourteen days in a hospital could be considered as cruel & unusual but was eased by the morphine on demand. Starting this past Saturday I started having diverticulitis symptoms again; mild to severe pain in lower abdomen, etc. Started on an antibiotic, CT on Thursday and then a consult with a gastro dr. What further complicates the whole mess is that I also have an internal hernia. Sometimes the CML isn't the only threat to out lives.

GRRRRRR........

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

MeowMeow,

Did you have a colonoscopy that shows this?  If so, did it show a trapped bowel loop type of internal hernia?  Do the biscuits get stuck?

#3 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

Tex- Yes, no, no

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I don't know what diverticulitis pain feels like, but I assume it might feel different than other bowel pains.  I have had a couple colonoscopy tests since diagnosis and neither found anything to cause my occasional severe bowel pain.  The Gleevec bowel pain, presumed to be from trapped gas, has been an issue over the years for me and others, so maybe you can describe the difference in diverticulitis pain.  Hope all goes better.

#5 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Trey- It feels entirely different from the normal TKI bowel sharts pain. It's more like the pain associated with an enlarged spleen. A very sharp pain in the lower left abdomen. The pain can be so severe that it makes me yelp but this attack is not as bad as others I've had and thanks to modern pain meds, and antibiotics it's bearable.

From the Mayo Clinic web:

Common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

• Pain that's often sudden, severe and located in the lower left side of the abdomen
  • Less commonly, abdominal pain that may be mild at first and become worse over several days, possibly fluctuating in intensity
  • Change in bowel habits
  • Abdominal tenderness
  • Fever
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloating
  • Bleeding from your rectum (less common)

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hi:  I have had 2 colonoscopies in the past.  My first one had a polyp, and then 5 years later I had a normal result.  The only thing they found was that I had Diverticulosis which is when  you get pouches forming in the intestine.  It is sometimes caused by constant constipation, and the strain that is used to have a bowel movement.  When something gets stuck in these pouches they get inflamed which causes the Diverticulitis.  They always said not to eat nuts, popcorn, corn, anything that can get stuck in those intestinal pouches.  My doctor told me its not true, but I do think some people are more prone to the inflammation. I know I do not get enough fiber in my diet, and we are supposed to get 25 grams of fiber per day.

If I eat Rice or Cheese my colon is in a real uproar with pain and constipation.  I do not know if this helps any, but I also noticed if I eat something that I know will cause me discomfort I make sure I eat a large bowl of oatmeal the next morning.  It works for me.  My sister has problems also, and she swears by her Metamucil that she drinks every evening.  I think she said she just uses1 TSP. in a glass of juice, or the orange flavored one in water.  Actually I have not tryed it yet myself, and I probably should.

#7 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

Susan,

Try the Metamucil! It helps for either constipation or diarrhea by adding bulk to the stool. It was suggested to me during my first pregnancy when I was convinced I would die of terminal constipation and I've used it ever since.  Actually back then I was using the psyillium seed soaked in apple juice. The seeds have been referred to in literature as "nature's intestinal broom" because it will sweep trapped debris from the diverticulii.

Although I haven't needed it so much with Sprycel, it definitely helped with the occasional Gleevec sharts. Just don't take it at the same time as you take your meds as it could interfere with absorption.

Take care!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users