• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

I started taking yasmin 2 days ago and I am also taking sprycel. I have been afraid to take the yasmin and was given the prescription in march but didn't take it until now because my kids and boyfriend want me to be happier and not so moody, and crabby.  My gynecologist just keeps telling me to take the pills and that it will help with the hormones because cml and tki can mess with your hormones. So I checked them on drugs.com and it says " coadministration with dasatinib increase plasma concentration of drugs that are substrates of cyp450 3a4. The mechanism is decreased clearane due to inhibition of cyp450 3a4 activity by dasatinib." It was a moderate caution. What does this mean? Also I have to quit smoking and havent done so yet. I know its bad to take if you are 35 and older and smoke. So I wonder if Im better off just waiting to see if my body will balance out on its own eventually without the birth control pills. My oncologist and gynecologist don't think anything of it and say go ahead and take it. They said "sure thats fine" Maybe I worry to much?

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

It means you will have higher concentration of yasmin, as dasatinib will slow down its metabolism in the body. Not sure how great this effect will be. Ask the pharmacist. They likely have much better software to pull up dangerous drug inter actions. My suspicion is that they interact, but only mildly or moderately.

HTH

Traci

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi, Kellbell,

I have so little patience with people who want us to be 'less crabby and moody and happier' and think we can get that way by popping a pill. I don't need someone "poor you-ing" me all the time because I have CML, but a little recognition that things have changed for me and I may not feel like or want to do all the things I've done in the past is a necessity. My retort is - if you think I'm moody and crabby and unhappy, before you tell me I need to fix it you need to examine your actions and see if there isn't something you need to change. Like ______________ (fill in the blank, "help me around the house, don't plan something that requires a lot of energy at the end of the day", whatever your needs are).

BTW don't take that unless you quit smoking - that warning is for a purpose - strokes are no laughing matter.

If you are crabby, moody and unhappy you might also benefit from a few sessions with a good therapist to help you determine why (like CML isn't enough of a reason)!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Traci and Pat,

You guys are so helpful, thank you. Its nice to have this to come to.  I will call pharmacy tomarrow and won't take the pill unless I stop smoking.  Pat your comments also put things into perspective for me alot. I do get crabby because I can't do as much as I used to and I have to get used to that change. My family is considerate but I think they like to forget and I don't want to remind them or make them think Im sick. But at least I wouldn't be crabby and moody anymore, maybe working on assertiveness would help. Also I read on here about anxiety issues, is that from worrying about CML or something it does to your body?          

Kelly

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi Kelly:  I agree with getting rid of those cigarettes before you do anything else.  I was a smoker for a long time, and just happened to quit cold turkey 2 years before I was diagnosed with CML.  I got so tired of always having Bronchitis, and I knew I had to do something.

As for the hormones, I guess they can do a lot to us.  I think I have earned the right to be crabby and moody once in awhile.  I have been living with CML for almost 14 years, and I have my good days and bad days. If anyone does not like my bad days then Oh Well!!  I tryed seeing a therapist at one time, and she did nothing for me except take my  money at every visit.  I ended up talking to her about her Breast Cancer, so who was giving who therapy.

The anxiety I kept saying was the CML, and I am sure it is partly from what we go through.  I think just Life In General is Kicking Everyone in the Behind right now in one way or another with this economy and everything else going on.

It is easy to say Take One Day At A Time, but when I look back through all the years since my diagnosis I realize that I have gotten through many days one day at a time.  Just watch what you take, because I think there is too much being pushed on the market for whatever ails you.

I think I will just go on being my usual nutty self, and have fun doing it.

Susan

#6 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

My anxiety has been challenging, and it is definitely from the reality of CML.  I was perfectly healthy and had no setbacks prior to diagnosis, so it just shocked my mind so much.  And to Susan's point, there is more at play here ... Must keep insurance, must keep working hard to raise my family and be there for my wife, must get sleep to stay healthy, must eat well to 'control what we control', etc.  Hey, it's a lot for all of us!  I am putting a good bit of effort into natural forms of controlling anxiety and I am making progress...I recommend reading "The Relaxation Response" for anyone who wants to understand the roots of anxiety and how to start controlling it.

Hope that perspective helps -

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users