So, after several months of painful running, I finally got an MRI done on my left foot. Met with sports medicine today and I have a lesion in my ankle cartilage that will require arthroscopic surgery to repair. My options are simple: shift to walking and do nothing, or surgery. This is a no-brainer for me, cause running is pretty much the only natural method that keeps my CML anxiety at a minimum. Have any of you been through outpatient surgery while on a TKI? I do not want to take a holiday at all ... Is that an option? I am only 14.5 months into Gleevec 400mg, but I had a PCRU at 12 months and will at least wait until my 15 month PCR test result before surgery. It will involve at least heavy sedation and numbing of the foot, but I think they usually put you to sleep for it.
I know it is a personal decision, but I would be interested in hearing from others who have been through outpatient surgery in the first 2 years of TKI treatment ... What your anesthesia options were, could you avoid a TKI holiday, etc. And following surgery, I am looking at some Naproxen for a bit to help with post-surgical swelling. Based on the recent NSAIDs study, that does not appear to be a threat (but Ibuprofen does appear to pose risk!).
Any input and experiences would be really helpful. Thanks everyone.....