2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1579

Chris1579

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hello, All,

A dear friend of my has been ill for several months - after much arm twisting a doctor visit was made, the primary care sent to an oncologist who ordered the following test - what are the typical reasons that the following tests are ordered -

BMB

CT of abdomen area

I know the spleen is swollen and there are chills and fever off and on with night sweats.  Red blood cells are an issue but I have not seen the blood work.

Thoughts??

As always thank you!

XO

Christa

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

If the suspicion is leukemia - enlarged spleen / night sweats

A bone marrow aspiration and biopsy procedure is done for many reasons.

• The test allows the doctor to evaluate your bone marrow function. It may aid in the diagnosis of low numbers of red blood cells (anemia), low numbers of white blood cells (leukopenia), or low numbers of platelets (thrombocytopenia), or a high number of these types of blood cells.
  • The doctor can also determine the cause of some infections, diagnose tumors, determine how far a disease, such as lymphoma, has progressed, and evaluate the effectiveness of chemotherapy or other bone marrow active drugs.

A CT scan may be done if your doctor suspects the leukemia is growing in an organ, like your spleen.

#3 lymphomajourney

lymphomajourney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Lymphoma also has these symptoms - did in my case. Biopsy and CT scan will confirm what it is (standard diagnostic tools), and biopsy will let them know what variant it is, for treatment options.

Keep us posted once the results known as you and your friend will likely have additional questions.

Andrew

My Lymphoma Journey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users