Photo

Just Received 11 month PCR and Mutation Results. Have Questions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi,

I posted two months back (Month 9)that my pcr had creeped up from the previous 7 month test. I just received results from this Mondays 11 month test. They also did a mutation test.

The good news is I was negative for mutations. The not so good news is my PCR creeped up a hair more. I have my 1 year BMB next month and my Onc wants to wait until then to decide what to do. Im on Gleevac 400 since DX July 1011.

A recap of my PCR's:

3 months 53% International /20% Mayo

6 months 6.1 Int. /2.3 Mayo

7 months 2.9 Int. /1.1 Mayo

9 months 3.7 Int. /1.4 Mayo

11 months 4.5 Int/1.7 Mayo

Should I be looking at increasing dosage/switching drugs? My Onc is good but seems a little re-active, not pro-active. As Ive stated earlier, I have no side effects on gleevac to speak of.

I also asked about the gleevac in blood level test and was told navartis doesn't do that anymore because of issues with food and drug admin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

The results are essentially flat for the past 6 months.  That is not terrible, but could be better at this stage.  I would want to either increase Gleevec dosage to 600mg or switch drugs.  Some people like Gleevec and would prefer to increase dosage.  I would personally prefer to switch drugs.  I would want to do it now rather than wait, but there is no real harm in waiting one more month.

#3 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Trey!

#4 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Has anyone else here had a slow response like this on Gleevac? Please share.

Thanks

Cliff

#5 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

Cliff,

Don't know if it helps, but my PCR at 6 months was 0.02% (or 0.002%, can't quite remember). At 10 mo, it was 0.04% (0.004%?), essentially the same. My starting WBC was 43k, if that helps. I didn't do PCR at dx.

Traci

#6 mike43147

mike43147

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Cliff,

I would wait for your BMB next month.  Then that's me.  Every one of us is different.  My PCR numbers have gone up and down the last 2 years, not a lot maybe .00043 to -.00073.  I use both Ohio State's James Cancer Center and the Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) to have my PCR tests.  It's a long horrifying insurance story.  I have used all 3 current approved TKI's, failed Gleevec, Sprycal (pulled off after a month because the data showed with my mutation, F317L, did not work long term) and Tasigna.  I have also found that worrying about the PCR test results are not good for your general health.  I go on how I feel.

I find your statement about the Mayo doctors being re-active much different than my impression from the Mayo doctors.  I feel they are very re-active, maybe too much in my case, my opinion.  Anyway try to relax and let the drugs do their work.  My last PCR test came back "too low to quantify".  Waiting for my next trip to Rochester to see what those doctors say about that. 

Good luck.

Mike 

#7 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Happycat and mike43147 for you comments.

I'm not to concerned about a little bump. What has me worried is that after 11 months my pcr seems a bit high. Especially when I read these articles that show guidlines of 10% at three months .1 or better at 6 months. They go on to say not making these guidlines puts you at higher risk of progression.

I feel my Onc could have taken action at the 6 month mark.

As of this Friday I have started on 600 Gleevac.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users