Photo

People never cease to amaze me on the idiocy they can exhibit.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Pam. . .

To lighten the mood a bit. . here's an e-mail that I got from a friend today.  I'll try to recap the series of e-mails and make it short.

We have friends moving from Kansas to CO and they sent out a group e-mail letting people know that they could use some help unloading this evening, and offered FREE BEER to anyone who could help.  My husband (who loves his beer) responded that he would sell his first child for a beer.  I responded by saying I didn't realize that he had a first child and if he did how much would he sell it for. . .hopefully enough to buy my Ducati.  Another friend responded and then said that since she was e-mailing from work, she probably shouldn't be talking about selling children or drugs.  I realized that she assumed the Ducati was my medication.  So I quickly set her straight by letting her know that Ducati was not an expensive medication, but a very expensive (and sexy) motorcycle!  Now if I could just take all that money that my insurance company spends on Sprycel I could have any number of Ducatis!!  Anyway. . .I got a good chuckle out of the e-mail.  Sorry that your relative is an insensitive moron. 

Marnie

#22 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

Pammie,

Nick didn't tell you his Aunt Billie taught him how to use his epi-pen did he? I never got a practice pen, so I would probably do the same thing as Nick!  I get 2 new pens every 2 years and I always give them to Ron to empty them before I throw them away. It never occured to me to see how he discharges them, duh! I also have 2 fire extinguishers in my kitchen and I don't know how to use them. I read the instructions, which I'm not very good at doing. Ron said it's a no brainer, I said do you realize who you're talking to. You should have seen me trying to shoot a snake with my 22 pistol. The snake won. Annie Oakley I'm not. We have a shooting

range not far from us and I'm always asking Ron to take me there, I have 2 handguns and I want to practice shooting them so I am more comfortable with them. I learned how to shoot both of them years ago,but I want to stay familiar with them. For some Reason Ron keeps putting me off. This man spent a year in viet-nam right in the thick of things, with guys who set off grenades and God knows what else when they were bored. But he doesn't want to take me to a shooting range. I'm just going to go myself! I hope they let me in. I'm left handed so it seems like no matter what someone tries to teach me it's always awkward. Especially fishing, and golfing. I tried hunting too, I shot a tree. And killed my shoulder, so I didn't want to play that game anymore. Plus shotguns and rifles gain 5 pounds every 10 minutes. Guess I'll just have to stick to being a lady of leisure.

I hope you're settleing down Lots o Luv Billie

#23 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

Damn, there was a time when free beer was offered I would have been buying a plane ticket.  these days I would probably be laying on the couch they were trying to haul in.  thanks for the laugh, the relative is a turd, but your description has more class. 

#24 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

I keep going over in my head that you want Ron to take you to the shooting range........it just isn't gonna happen.  The man is playing it safe.

#25 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Pam, I am astounded at what some people will say! You are dealing with this very graciously I must say.

I guess our type of leukaemia and the treatment can be a complicated thing to understand, some people simply just don't get it - but to accuse you of lying because of her own lack of understanding (and all the other "qualified" people she confirmed her opinion with - ha, what a joke!) is pretty nasty. Sometimes I get confused about my level of sickness. Am I sick or aren't I? Do I have leukaemia anymore or don't I? Yes, but no, but yes.

You were very sick and needed to be isolated for your own safety, but now your counts have recovered. Why is that so hard to understand? Also, people who have lower counts than ours don't get to live in a quarantine unit

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#26 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Lucky - you continue to amaze and inspire me with your (and your lovely wife's) insight into human behaviour - thank you

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#27 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Pin,

She has two young girls, probably inside just jealous that I was able to hide from the world for a bit, and medically approved, LOL  it isn't often we get a doctors excuse to stay away from people.  I wasn't going to post the mess on here, but I am really glad I did.  If others have a similar problem with family and/or friends, as Susan wrote, they know they are not alone.  Our disease is confusing, isn't it?  And because it is so weird, we never know how we are going to feel, let alone how we can present ourselves to the outside world.  It is hard to see or understand how and what is going for others.  I keep going back to the idea if her life was so grand, there would not be so many negative thoughts for anyone or anything, no matter what they are.  Life goes on, and although I made some attempts to stop communication there is mail, so if something arrives, I will return to sender unopened.  At 30 something (her age) I would have fought till there were no words left, but at nearly 50, it just isn't worth the effort.  I have to do some things in life, fighting is not one of them.  Thanks for checking in, everyone's support has really helped me work through this situations quite a bit faster than I would have alone.

Have a great day!

Pam

#28 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Lucky,

Ditto to what Pin said, to your wife and yourself.  Thanks

#29 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Those of us who suffer from CML - or any disease, for that matter - have more incentive to do exhaustive research and get the facts straight than the "casual observer".  That said, I still think it's just plain thoughtless for people to be dismissive of what we are going through.

Is rudeness a chronic condition?

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#30 CDW

CDW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Pam,

Most of what i think has already been said; however, as a 30-something i recognise I had little empathy for those people with serious diseases. I was very A type and didn't have time for illness. Wow, has CML changed my outlook! I have a hell of a lot more compassion for human beings, the type of compassion and maturity that might not have developed until much later in life. The lady in question likely has not had to overcome a significant difficulty to be able to understand the challenges people face in every day life. Over time and as she sees more adversity among her peer group (and maybe even herself) will she come to realize the error of her ways. Or maybe she won't, as some people can simply be mean until their final day. Some people decide to invest so much of their time interfering in others' lives because they wish to feel an elevated sense of importance or superiority in their own life - without the compassion gained through adversity this will likely continue.

The whole situation reminds me of a quote by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross: "The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen"

I truly hope the lady in question one day has the maturity and compassion to look back and realize the error of her ways.

Best wishes

Chris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users