9 replies to this topic

#1 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi Guys,

Last week I had my EKG test and it was normal. However the cardiologist suggested for me to have

an ultra sound/echocardiogram of my heart just to make sure that Tasigna is not affecting my heart.

I've asked him did he suspect something suspicious from an EKG test and that's why he is recommending an ultra sound,

then he said: "No, not at all but sometimes these medication that you are taking can have some affect on the

heart valves and the muscles that EKG can't see".

Now, I'm not sure what to do. Is this test really necessary? Is it too soon since I'm on Tasigna for only 8 months?

But I have spoken to one lady so far who claims that she had a heart attack and strongly beliefs that

Tasigna  have caused it because se never had any heart issues before.

Have any of you had an ultra sound while taking Tasigna or any other TKI's????

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Dina

#2 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hi Dina,

Let us know how it goes. The more we know . . .

My PCP has just ordered an echocardiogram for me too, saying that we don't know the full effect of these powerful drugs and that she'd like to see if any areas in and around my heart have been affected. We are looking for reasons why my fatigue continues even nine months after discontinuing TKIs (Sprycel brought me to PCRU in four months, after seven months on and off Gleevec; then after two years testing PCRU I received permission to go medication-free, with monthly bw, all good so far after nine months post-Sprycel; will now switch to bw every three months).

It does make me wonder: did the docs receive some kind of heads up re doing echocardiograms recently??

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#3 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hi Dina,

Last week. I went to my cardiologist  and I pass a EKG. It was normal.  I had atrial fibrillation sometimes,Since two weeks, I have pain in my heart and feel breathless. My cardiologist suggest me to pass an echocardiogram and a exercise electrocardiogram. May be, I will take Tasigna soon. So before I will take this new medication. I think that it's a good idea to a reference test.

I was with Gleevec since June 2005. I was PCRU and since Septembre 2011, I lost the MMR (-log2.3). I will see my hematologist next week and I will decide if I will try Tasigna.

Sincerely Gilles,

Other limk: Heart with CML

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi Dina:  I am not on Tasigna, but a EKG will only show so much information.  An Echo is not an invasive test, and it can tell the doctor so much more.  I never knew I had mitral valve prolapse, and it was found doing a Echo.  Last year I went through a EKG, ECHO, and a Nuclear Stress Test just to be sure all was okay.  I just was not feeling too good, and thought I should get tested.  Heart Disease runs in my family, and I wanted to get checked out for my own peace of mind.  I would do it, and it will probably be normal.  Just getting the results will make you feel better with regard to taking a TKI, and the different things that can develop.  My test results came back good.

Susan

#5 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Dina,

Yep, Susan is correct, an ECHO gives docs a lot of information on how well your heart is functioning.  They can measure the volume of fluid and pressure in each chamber, essentially telling them how well your heart pumps.  They can tell if your heart valves are functioning well, too.  Bonus - the test itself is a piece of cake. 

Traci

#6 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, I'm wondering about that, too?  Or do they have a mid-year sale at imaging centers??

Traci

#7 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks guys,

I already had an Echocardiogram done at the hospital, that was when I was diagnosed 9 months ago and it was normal so it will be interesting to see

what the next one would show and if the medicine that I'm taking for the last 8 months had any affect on my heart.

Maybe 8 months is too short of the time to show anything yet. I never had any heart problems before and the reason they did it at the

hospital I think is that one doctor order it just in case, never really told me why, I remember they ran all kinds of tests on me.

Maybe I need to give a little more time but I figured if insurance is willing to pay for it then I might as well and do it.

Dina

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

HI Dina:  The good thing also is that if the insurance pays for the testing, and its a piece of cake like Traci said then why not do it.  I never got a bill for any of my testing when I did it all.  Gosh they nickel and dime you for everything else.

I also think your going to get good results, and then I would relax for awhile.

Susan

#9 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hi there,

Wanted to let everyone know that my Echocardiogram Results are in and they are Normal.

The reason I've had it is that my doctor wanted to know if Tasigna is affecting my heart in any way,

I've never had any heart issues. I'm on Tasigna for about 10 months now and not sure if that's too short to tell or see anything

yet but just wanted to share it with you so at least we don't have to worry about our hearts when we take our TKI's

at least for now.

Dina

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

HI Dina:  If your doctor wants a ECHO, then do it. Its a non-invasive test with no prep of any kind.  You just lay there well they move the probe all around to check everything, and then you will have the results.  It does not mean you have anything wrong.  They see dfferent things on a Echo than a EKG.  I have had Mitral Valve Prolapse for over 20 years, and I do a periodic Echo just to see if everything is stable.  I had a cardiac work-up last year with the EKG, ECHO, and a Stess Test.  He could still see the  problem, but he felt no real change.  I felt better after I did it.  I am sure you will tell us all is fine after you do the test.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users