Photo

anybody with sudden hearing loss in one ear?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 auntquack

auntquack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hi. I've been on Gleevec for almost four years. About five or six weeks ago I started having tinnitus in both ears - relatively minor. Today, I got a sensation of ringing in my left ear (the kind that when I was a kid my friends and I would experience and say that somebody was talking about us) and then my ear felt blocked, like it needed to pop. That was several hours ago and it hasn't popped. When I block my right ear I can hardly hear anything at all with just my left ear. Has anybody else had this happen?

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hi Aunt Quack, (I love that name),

I suffered hearing loss after about 2 years on Gleevac, but it was gradual, I really didn't notice it much until I couldn't hear someone talking to me on the phone, when I had it up to my right ear.

Years ago my ear plugged up,and it drove me nuts,after about a week my pcp sent me to an ear doctor, he took a syringe and blew some air in my ear and told me to hold my breath plug my nose and blow,and my ear popped. I had to do it several times a day for a few days but that took care of the problem. I guess it was fluid build-up behind the ear from sinus problems. So now it still happens once in a while and I just sit down take a deep breath close my mouth and plug my nose and blow and my ear will pop. I usually do it 2 or 3 times right away then maybe a couple times a day for a couple days, that usually takes care of it.

Good Luck Billie                              PS don't blow your brains out you might need sudafed or something, call your pcp if that doesn't work.

#3 auntquack

auntquack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Billie. I tried holding my nose and blowing but it wasn't working. I made an appointment with pcp for this morning. Now it feels like it's getting better. Figures. As soon as I call the doc it goes away. When I saw her last week for a regular check up I mentioned that I have tinnitus and have had it for a few months. She asked how my hearing was since tinnitus often precedes hearing loss. Mine was okay at that time. Then this happened yesterday and I freaked.

Thanks for your response.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Gleevec can cause or increase tinnitus is some people.  It can also cause production of more ear wax, and also can cause the eustachian tube that equalizes ear pressure to swell (tissue edema) and become blocked more easily (which also increases tinnitus).  Sounds like the latter issue. 

http://www.webmd.com...-topic-overview

#5 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

When I started Sprycel, I had trouble hearing out of my left ear.  Low and behold, I had a huge ball of wax in my ear.  After it was cleared, I could hear again.  Now I just have this thumping and rushing to deal with instead.  I had the ear issues right before dx, they cleared up a little and then started again.  Although I still hate it, I have learned to live with the rushing and thumping in my left ear.

Hope your ear troubles clear soon. 

Tedsey

P.S.  I had a lot of wax build up as a child.  The doctor recommended dropping peroxide (or a mix of water and peroxide) in the ear canal.  You lay down and let it bubble (you can hear it and it itches a bit).  You can feel it little by little going deeper into the canal.  After some minutes you just turn over onto a towel or tissue and let the liquid fall out.  It does a great job of clearing out the ear canal.

#6 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

One of my ears blocks up a lot, it''s most noticable in the mornings - I am 99% sure it is fluid (I'm on Gleevec as well) because I've recently cut out all sources of salt in my diet and it has almost completely gone away. Oddly, I didn't notice it had gone away until this reminded me!

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#7 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Please type louder, I can't hear you.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

Smart Ass!

#9 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

HEE!  HEE!  CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

#10 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi, Auntquack,

Not sure where you are, but here in New England, pollens have been quite high for awhile. If you have any seasonal allergies, this could be a factor. Swelling in the nasal passages can mess up the balance of pressure needed to keep the eustachian tube clear. I had that happen to me years ago, and in my case, the pressure and pain got so bad, I was reduced to pacing back and forth and babbling incoherently until the pressure released. But it started out as muffled hearing in that ear, followed by a swishing sound in the ear (like listening to a seashell), then intense pain. ENT was no help, just told me to take ibuprofen and tough it out. Thanks! 

Get the ear checked for fluid or wax buildup vs. real hearing loss.

HTH and hope you feel better soon.

Traci

#11 auntquack

auntquack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thanks to all. The PCP said there was no wax in the ear and said it was probably in the eustachain tube and if it happened again to take Sudafed. I don't feel congested but ... I'm in New York State but I don't really have allergies. It's probably the swelling problem.

#12 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

You don't have to feel congested to have the swelling. Regarding the allergies, there is so much pollen in the air, even people with mild allergies are likely reacting. If it is mild, you wouldn't necessarily notice it.

Well, if it happens again and sudafed doesn't help, then you can point the finger at our pal gleevec.

Feel better,

Traci

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users