• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Is insomnia a common side effect of Gleevec? 

On 400mg doses, I had no issue sleeping whatsoever.  In fact, taking 400mg Gleevec before bed seemed to act as a mild sleep aid.  Now that I'm trying 800mg doses, it's giving me a really odd version of insomnia every single night.  What's happening now is that I fall asleep without issue, and then awaken after 1.5 - 3 hrs and cannot fall back asleep again w/o taking Ambien sleep meds in the middle of the night.  I've tried dose splitting without any change in results.  I hope this is just a transitional thing, as my body adjusts to the larger doses.

Joe

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I don't know if it is a common side effect, but I think I saw it in the list of side effects Novartis publishes.

I could easily believe the insomnia has a dose- response relationship. It could be at a higher dose, it can hit some other receptors somewhere in the brain.

There are a number of drugs that cause sleep problems. My mother had the same type of insomnia you describe on Pradaxa. My dd had really vivid dreams on topamax, enough that it was akin to insomnia, she never felt rested. 

Definitely one to talk to your onc about. It might go away as you get used to the dose, but no guarantee.

Traci

#3 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

That sounds about right this last week.  Vivid dreams and insomnia, and never feeling rested.

I will be talking to the Onc on Thursday about it.  I have a feeling it's going to go away as I adjust to the higher dose.  Some of the other side effects that I was experiencing a few months ago are suddenly back, from when I began my initial treatment on both 4-600mg Gleevec and lots of Hydrea.  Facial rash, hand/foot cramps, loss of taste, as well as the dreams/insomnia.  I figured the sleep issues in particular were due to post-dx stress, but it appears it was at least partially from the Gleevec.  I've never taken any meds that negatively affected my sleep habits before.  It's frustrating.

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi Joe,

I know how you feel, and it is frustrating, it seems like symptoms come and go at will. I take Sprycel and I have sleep problems too, and when I do sleep I have these weird crazy dreams also. Let me know what your onc tells you. I seem to get my best rest in my recliner,I'll be so tired and I'll go to bed, and lay there for a couple hours and finally get back up relax in my chair and get some sleep. One of these days I'm probably going to wake up and be all twisted up like a pretzel.    Good luck to you,     Billie

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi Billie:  I have been without a computer now for over a week, and going nuts.  I think I am back on again.  I have so many messages to look over before I delete.

I had to add to your response.  I am going through exactly the same thing.  I do not sleep well, but if I sit in my chaise recliner, and I am out like a light.  Terrible dreams that do not make sense, and when I get up in the morning I am exhausted. I am on Gleevec not Sprycel.  I think sometimes its just stress along with the  Gleevec.

I went out to do some errands today, and came home so tired.  I find that I cannot do too many things in one day without getting so wiped out.  I actually have to finish up doing my stuff tomorrow.  I wonder if anyone else goes through this.

My husband is still trying to get this system working like it should, so if you do not see me on here we are just working some things out.

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi Susan,

I'm so glad your computer is up and running again, I thought I'd go nuts when we went to Florida and had no access to a computer. If he hadn't bought me this laptop, I couldn't have lasted over 2 months there.

I've been so tired for so long, When I get up I'm only good for about 3 hours then I start dragging. I guess we're both in the same boat. Have you ever had your iron checked? Mine is real low again, and I can't have infusions anymore because of my reaction last Sept. So now I'm supposed to take 3 iron pills a day. I'm taking one, I get so nauseated from all these meds I take I just can't do it. My onc lowered my Sprycel to 50mg a day, I'm so glad. I'm trying to eat foods that are rich in iron. I get bw next month, and another appt. with onc. to see how it's working. I'll know because I should be able to walk to my mailbox without getting out of breath.

It's hell getting old isn't it? Ron has been getting mail from nursing homes!!!! Do you think he isn't telling me something?   Take care Lots o Luv Billie

#7 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hi Susan,

When are you seeing your doc about a dosage reduction, though perhaps this change is playing on  your mind as well - causing the dreams.

I'm waiting on my script for 300mg Gleevec to come through from Tassie (Tasmania) (it has to be government approved for us to get it at the reduced rate).

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi Gerry:  I do not see my doctor till July.  I am going for my blood work in a few weeks.  This nightmare problem has been going on for years, and has nothing to do with what I am going through right now.  I am also wondering if my Gleevec has nothing to do with the low filtration rate on the kidneys.  I have been on BP medication for many years, and everything combined could be doing this to my blood work.

Actually I have calmed down somewhat with regard to worrying about all of this.  Just trying to cope with so many things, but I will get through it like I always do.

Its great to have so many friends on here to talk to and share with.  IT sure helps.

#9 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

HI Billie:  They have checked my iron constantly along with my Thyroid, and its all normal.  I went out today, and just routine errands to run.  I came home feeling like a truck hit me.  Everything ached and I was so tired.  Got stuck in a bad rain storm, and had to wait it out before I could drive home.

I get all kinds of crazy mail also.  Then we got a new monitor for the computer, and all the instructions were in every language but English.  Gary was trying to download something, and it was all in German.  We are both so bad with all this new stuff.  As long as I can do my searching and e-mail I am happy.  I still have not learned how to copy and paste on the computer. 

I get nausea from all my medications also, and then the expense is unreal.  Gary's doctors keep switching his meds, and always putting him on something expensive even with our co-pays. 

You take care also.  Lots of Love Back to you too.

#10 dennyzb

dennyzb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

I have had relentless insomnia for 2 years

#11 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I also had/have sleep problems, but I am on Tasigna. Honestly, I believe it's the anxiety, or at least the way I deal with stress and anxiety that keeps me up at night. I sleep better now than I did a year ago so I think this all just takes some getting used to. Take it easy and be good to yourself and be patient.

#12 dennyzb

dennyzb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have had sleep issues for 2 years and tried everything. What is your average nights sleep? I can't fall asleep ; I tried Melatolin but it made my throat swollen and dry.Ambien and Lunesta makes me sick. I tried acupunture and meditation also. Nothing but xanax works for me and I know it's not good for me. Thanks

#13 dennyzb

dennyzb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I quess I will try to sit in my chaise recliner, That gives me hope. Thanks

#14 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm on Tasigna but also suffer from  insomnia. Don't know if the meds or my mad mind racing and worrying at night. But remember that Ambien can be your friend on nights like that.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users