Jump to content


Tasigna and Lipase Levels

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Badger


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Okay, I switched to Tasigna two weeks ago, felt better than I have in a couple years on Sprycel, and now my stinking lipase level is elevated (627), so my onc stopped my Tasigna for the next week.  Has anyone else run into this and actually overcome it after restarting Tasigna again?  I'm not a happy camper right now.

#2 annsher88


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hi Badger -- My personal opinion is to hang in there for a bit and go with it. I've switched my medication dosage/brand around, too, and my levels have ultimately stabilized. But again, I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure about your particular situation. I wish there was a way for an actual doc to chime in here and give his opinion...if anyone has a way for that to happen, let us both know!

#3 Trey


    Advanced Member

  • PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

High levels of lipase in the blood may show pancreas  stress, and less often liver stress.  Sometimes it is simply induced by a medication, and Tasigna causes this issue in some people.  Generally, unless you have abdominal pain caused by the pancreas along with the high lipase levels, it should be a short term problem.  Hopefully the break will fix it. 


#4 janne



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

I did have an elevated lipase at the beginning of my taking Tasigna.  I do not remember the exact level, but I do know that there is a protocol they follow which directs physicians to either lower the dose of Tasigna or hold it depending on the lipase elevation. My dosage was decreased for a time and we continued to check the level. My lipase did decrease to within normal range and has been since. My liver enzymes have been normal throughout my course on TKI's. Hopefully this will be the same situation for you.  Curious, have they been monitoring your lipase all along, or is this a new test for you ? My lipase was never monitored on Gleevec.

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.


CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#5 Badger


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I only had it tested before I started Tasigna, and it was at 144; now it's 625.

#6 sklug


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Within taking my first two doses of Tasigna, 300 mg 2x day, I developed pancreatitis and was hospitalized for 5 days, it was pretty painful.  Three weeks later my Dr. restarted Tasigna but at 1/4 dose and we slowly worked our way up to full dose again.  I have since gotten pancreatitis about 4 months ago on just 1/2 dose.  I just received my results from my latest BMB and they noted abundant iron storage.  Not sure what that is all about but I will be seeing the Dr. tomorrow.

Good luck to you and hopefully your numbers will move in the right direction!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users