• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

I noticed about a week ago, that the skin on my legs look shrively and wrinkly, I know at 58 that I am not a spring chicken, but I have just noticed this.  I have been taking tasigna for over two months now, and I have always gotten  compliments on how beautiful my skin is, with only washing it no long cleansing or other facial rituals, but I have also noticed my complexion is not what it used to be. Does TKI's have anything to do with this.

#2 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

I've been taking Gleevec for 2 months, and I now have a red, slightly raised rash on my cheeks, itchy blotches on my neck & chest, and the skin is also a bit dry & fragile.  I'm taking Claritin for the rash, and I'm using Lubriderm for the dry skin.  Both seem to be helping.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#3 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi Marie,

Unfortunately TKI's can affect the skin and hair, among other things. Many people on this board have experienced skin issues, you are not alone. I take Allegra and Prednisone. I hope your body adjusts to your TKI and your skin problems clear up quickly.

Judy

#4 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ive been on Gleevac since July 2011. I have definately noticed some drying of the skin on my face and hands.

I live in Arizona so dry skin is a problem for everyone here to begin with.

I just apply moisturizer twice a day and so far so good.

#5 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will have to use moisturizer for skin, and hydrating lotion for my legs.

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi Marie,

My dermotologist recommends Aveeno products. I just use the foam facial cleanser,a bottle will last almost a year, and I use Aveeno moisturizer. Now that I stay out of the sun as much as I can, or wear sunscreen, I don't have to much trouble with dry skin. I usually use lubriderm moisterizer on my body. It's pretty good. I'm still shriveling up like an old hag,but I gotta work with what I got!

Sincerely Billie

#7 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Billie you are so funny!

#8 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

My skin used to be very nice also, since the Sprycel I have turned into an alligator.  Although, I admit I am horrible at using moisturizer and sun screen, so I am my own worst enemy. 

Pam

#9 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

you are hilarious too, this site makes you feel better.

#10 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

With Gleevec, my complexion wasn't very healthy looking at first.  After I adjusted to it over the first month or so, the skin issues went away.  I got my color back and the rashes I was experiencing disappeared.  I was getting a slightly raised, kinda scaly, itchy rash on my ribcage, armpits, elbows, and cheeks.  Lotion seemed to help a little, and taking cooler than usual showers helped quite a bit.  Try that.  See it it works.

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

Mude,

Pam's more like a goat then a crocodile,she grew horns when she first went on Sprycel! Then she got bit by a tick, she got off to a great start. I can't call her an old goat because I'm older then her. Darn!           Billie

ps. wait until we get into the hemmeroid discussions!

#12 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Mude,

It's ok, Billie just calls me a hemorrhoid often, I kinda am, so there is no sense in disagreeing.  Perhaps I am a new breed of goat with scales, so there is still a chance I am going to get in the world book of records some way!

Pam

#13 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Pammie,

I thought you were already in the book! Well I'm going to cancel my subscription and buy some more wine! Feel Good Lots o Luv Billie

#14 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Not yet Billie, but I sure as heck am trying!  Hey I received that correspondence you sent.  Great job for figuring it out!  You deserve other bottle of wine!

#15 KerriD

KerriD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

OMG ...I am so glad you posted this...I am 47 and on Tasigna and I have notices the the exact same thing with my skin.  I call it my zombie skin.  My hands, legs and my cleavage ( of all places) are papery wrinkly.  I hate it! . Lotion doesnt seem to help that much. Ugh

#16 sferrazza

sferrazza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

OMG me too, I'm 45 and all the sudden have the skin of an old lady!  I take fish oil which seems to help a little and of course no one thinks it's from Tasigna.  Let me know if you come up with something that helps!

Susan

#17 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I am so glad but sad also that someone else is experiencing this.  It lets me know that I am not imagining things

#18 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

sferrazza ok, you do the same, Billie said to use aveeno, lets give it  try, I will try to get som this week.

#19 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I am thinking of breaking the Fish capsule apart and dumping the stuff on my skin, if it doesn't work from the inside out, maybe it will work from the outside in.  What's the worst that can happen?  I usually burp fish smell after taking, so I smell like I came from the fishing dock.

#20 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hi Everybody,

About 10 years ago, I read that Sophia Loren only ever used olive oil on her face and skin. I think she is still one of the most beautiful women in the world and she's in her 70's. Those of you that know me,you also know that I'm not going to pass up a chance to look like Sophia Loren. I also read that mayonaise is good for your hair. It was winter and I was so dried up I couldn't stand it, so one night I took a hot bath & shaved my legs (which is optional in the winter around here) after my bath I smeared about a half a jar of mayonaise on my head, and wrapped my head it saran wrap, then I pinned a shower cap over that, then I smeared olive oil all over my body, and even more on my face, and feet (olive oil on the bottom of feet is not a good idea) I put on my long sleeve cotton pajamas, and socks, then I smeared vasoline on my hands and put on cotton gloves. I figured I would wake up looking like Sophia, and having skin like a newborn baby. It was a bit uncomfortable when my jammies and socks started sticking to my skin,but my grandmother always told me you have to suffer to be beautiful so I figured I could suffer a bit. I put a towel on my pillowcase,climbed into bed, jammies were really sticking to me by then, within 30 seconds I found out that saran wrap doesn't stick to mayonaise,and the bobby pins I used to keep the shower cap on got all greasy so I couldn't get it to stay on..Then my jammies,socks and gloves literally attached themselves to my body, it was like shrink wrap.and the olive oil on my face was smearing all over the towel on my pillow. I don't think I left one pore open. At first all I could think of was, boy I'm glad I don't have satin sheets. I would have been slithering all over the place,and probably falling out of bed all night. I was so tired but I figured this wasn't going to work, so I got up and went into the shower, the mayonaise on my head was such an added touch,I almost fell and broke my neck,so I tried taking a bath I couldn't get all that oil off me,and I couldn't stand up because the tub was so slippery,and I had oiled my feet. I called and called for Ron, he's a deep sleeper and I had the br door closed. Finally after I don't know how long he woke up, and he is one man that doesn't like his sleep disturbed! So I explained my situation to him,he has no sense of humor at 1:00 am, all I could think of was to shower with dawn because all my body washes and shampoos have moisterizers in them. So he got me the dawn from the kitchen and I think I had to wash 3 times before I got out of the tub. Even my hair. So Instead of waking up looking like Sophia, I looked like Eleanor Roosevelt with a bad perm.  A couple days later Ron put a bar in the shower,which I had been asking him to do for about 3 years!

Love Billie                                                                            I can't believe all the crazy things I've done,until a post on this site reminds me.  PS Don't wrap yourself in Saran Wrap to look 5 pounds slimmer, it doesn't work! And don't rinse your hair in beer, you smell like a drunk, And don't rinse your hair in vinegar, because people will call you Miss Massingill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users