5 replies to this topic

#1 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi, all,

I have not had any skin issues with gleevec. But starting this week I have an itchy rash on my ankle. It doesn't seem to be spreading, or at least not much.  I'm trying to figure out if this is a gleevec rash, or if I got bit up by fleas or something while watching soccer on the sidelines this weekend. It just reminds me of the itchy flea bites we would get when Gus the Cat would bring in some flea pals from the great outdoors. We don't have Gus anymore (he's in the great catnip patch in the sky), and the other two cats never go outside (coyotes). 

I'm finding it hard to believe it is flea bites, since I usually react to those within a few hours. This started Tuesday, and soccer was Sunday.  Do fleas even bite humans when they are just sitting outside?

Is a gleevec rash a bunch of disconnected itchy red spots, slightly raised?  Or is it usually a great big pink patch or something? 

Traci

#2 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi Traci,

I can't answer your question about what it is, but I can add some insight on flea bits.  For some reason my husband draws the flea, if they are present he gets bitten.  I can state it is not because he is sweet.  He walks through the grass barefoot and by the time he gets back he has flea bites.  Once his mom had an unknown flea situation due to the family cat and he was not in the house 15 minutes before his ankles were covered with red bumps.  Not one of the other people in the house had any bites, his mom was horrified and had the problem corrected almost immediately.  The only thing I wonder about is the fact you were out on Sunday and it was Tuesday till you noticed any problem.  That does not sound like a flea bit, they are like any other insect bite, there is not a lapse of hours or days before revealing themselves.  All of these little annoying creatures like fleas, bees, ants, ticks, and spiders (just to name some common bugs)  bite, leave saliva and junk in the bite and our skin rejects the entire process by turning red and irritated.  The more we scratch the more we spread the junk.  If I get bit by a mosquito around the eye area I swell up like a balloon.  Last time was above my left brow, I was bit early evening, by the time I went to bed my eyebrow was almost laying on my cheek, if my eye would have been black and blue I would have looked like I was in a fight.  Took three days for the swelling to go completely away.  I have read the sun and insect bites are more pronounced with the TKI's, (I am not looking forward to mosquito season).  I keep wondering because it is on your ankles and the area is itchy red spots if it is not some kind of insect bite, instead of the TKI issues.  Did you try a cortisone or anti itch cream, how about Caladryl lotion, that works well also, I keep the clear the pink stuff gets on everything.  If one of these things bring you comfort I am betting on insect bites, then you are left discovering what kind and where they attacked you.  Good luck!

Pam

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, Pam.

Reflecting back, I did take a walk with the twins on Monday evening, around dusk. We walked mainly on the sidewalk or side of the road, but there was some brush on the roadside here or there. I suppose fleas could have gotten me then. I was probably scratching the area for awhile before I realized something was going on.

Right now, I'm just being lazy and scratching it until it hurts. (My dh tells me to scratch until it bleeds and it will stop itching. I just think that's gross!  It's his favorite solution for mosquito bites.).

I suppose I should just be grateful it wasn't a Lyme tick. We have plenty of those around here, probably half the street has had Lyme disease. 

As long as there are no fleas in my house, I can live with a few bites here and there. Guess I'd better start using the bug spray.

Thx

Traci

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi Traci,

An antihistamine should work either way. For me the Gleevec rash went from the back of my calves up behind my knees and on to the back of my thighs - large patches of red, though it wasn't that itchy. But I was on an antihistamine as well.

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

We are loaded with ticks this year, I spend hours looking over the results online and on bodies.  a few weeks each one of use had a tick on our person in some place, afew of the were already embedded. little rotten creatures.  Just be careful.  I must hit the bed, it is time honework at wait till tomorrowl.  have a great nite!!

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hi Traci,

Before advantage and frontline, I had a terrible problem with fleas, we live in the country so they're everywhere, even when I didn't have a dog I would get fleas. They loved me,nobody in the house got bit but me,you haven't lived until you have a flea inside you're pantyhose, while you're headed to Sunday mass at church to sing. I did everything possible to get rid of them, it was the fleas or the family.  Six years ago we moved my mil to Fla. and she had a cat. We treated the cat with frontline, so she was fine, but my mil had purchased a bed for the cat.and  nobody thought about fleas in the bed. We were in Fla about 6 weeks,and after we left,on the way home our cocker spaniel, Annie had a couple fleas. She never had a flea in her life. So we put frontline on her and she was fine. Do you know 1 flea lays 400 eggs? So on the rest of the trip home I fed the fleas 3 times a day. Ron never got 1 bite. When we got home we called Fla,and both Rons sisters were overcome with fleas. They were going nuts and by then we were going nuts with fleas, I thought they were blaming us for the fleas,& they thought we were blaming them. They both had a dog also. So we were all going nuts, they threw the cat bed away, but we still had to get rid of the fleas in our houses, My sister-in-law called us and said they sprinkled 20 mule time borax all over the furniture and carpet and vaccumed it up and all the fleas were gone. So we did the same thing and got rid of our fleas. I was so glad because I didn't want to spray any chemicals in the house because of Annie.  So if that's you're problem, I swear by 20 mule team borax.   Good Luck Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users