• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 desertgirl

desertgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hello, I am new here. I just turned 40 and was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with CML after a routine blood test showed I had a white count of 176K. I have been on Tasigna for 3 weeks - 800MG a day. So far the side effects are minimal and my white count is down to a normal range. Last week I started to get a tiny, skin colored rash all over my face, arms and torso. I am also having itching way down in my ear canal and an itchy scalp- but it isn't unbearable... yet. I have read various posts and have some ideas of things I can try but I guess my questions are:

Does the rash go away? When?

Are there creams that have worked for people out there?

Do the antihistamines get rid of the bumps or just the itching?

Is the rash related to sun or heat? (I live in AZ)

I feel thankful that I am not having a lot of other side effects some people are describing. I think I am just finally getting over the shock of my diagnosis and trying to understand this disease and how to beat it. I am sure I will have a lot of questions and I appreciate the support this forum provides.

Thanks for your feedback.

#2 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

I've been fighting it for two years. My latest episode has lasted for 1 1/2 months now. Sun exposure really aggrevates it. Check out these past posts (search can be your friend):

http://community.lls.org/thread/13694

http://community.lls...age/43163#43163

etc.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#3 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

Cetaphil works for me to combat general skin dryness and mild rashes.

If the rashes continue to bother you for another few weeks, see a dermatologist.  If you don't have one, have your

hematologist refer you to one.  A few months after starting each TKI (Gleevec, Sprycel, Tasigna), I have seen my

dermatologist and he has prescribed a mild cortisone cream to use on the most bothersome eruptions.

#4 rockycan

rockycan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hello desertgirl, I have been on Tasigna (600mg) for about two months.  In the begining I have moderate side effects pain in legs and back and stomach problems.  That seems to be behind me now however,  I just started getting breakouts on my forehead and side of face also, I don't have any solutions for you but would also like to hear from other who might have an answer.  Good luck, hope all is good with you now. 

#5 janne

janne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

I had a burning sensation, another reader posted that they had a windburned feeling...and this cream was recommended. It was quite soothing I must say, as I did try it. I had to actually back down on the Tasigna dose and start it back up gradually. The burning did resolve. The minimal rash I have now is not bothersome...not sure if the cream worked for me as I had more than just the rash, but it did feel like it was calming the burning.

Good Luck!  Janne

Message was edited by: Jennifer Wilson Please don't include links to retail establishments. Thanks.

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.

CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#6 rockycan

rockycan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Just a follow up; I have tried zinc oxide (20%) cream, over the counter and it seems to have helped.  You can get it at any drug store; also, I believe creams for baby rashes might also contain zinc oxide.  Let me know if this helps.    rockycan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users