pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the compliment, .  Scuba is an awesome inspiration and many of us follow his unique treatment choices, I believe he is forging the next generation, using combination medications and treatments to perhaps destroy CML.  But you are also an inspiration, as you stated your doctor not only followed your progress he requested you speak to newly diagnosed patients about your positive results.  I always think of a post I read from Trey last fall, not long after I found this group.  I will not be able to quote, but the subject was about the TKI's, there are options, changes in dosage, and if something is not working, then change, living life to the fullest is the best revenge against CML.  Susan, I think you are going to be hanging around for a long time, and for that I am very grateful.

Pam

#22 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

I, too, have begun taking Curcumin.  My lovely girlfriend went out and bought a couple bottles of Jarrow Formulas Curcumin 95.  Each capsule contains 95% curcuminoids and is 500mg.  I have four days left until my first PCR test being on 200mg of Gleevec.  I'm going to stop taking my half dose of Gleevec for the remainder of the time and cut my initial 6 month 200mg dose reduction to 3 months, which this next test will be.  Reason for this decision is ever since I started cutting my Gleevec pills in half i've noticed an oily residue after a bowel movement.  I've lived with it for the last 2 3/4 months and want to see if this four day vacation will get rid of it.

#23 fola

fola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi Prof,

If you're actually cutting your 400mg pills in half and you think it may be having an adverse impact on your digestive system, maybe you should request your next order of G in the 100mg pills instead.  This way you can pop two of these for 200mg instead of having to chop up your 400mg pills. 

Hope you feel better.  Good luck with your next PCR.  

#24 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

thanks, Fola.  I'm going to request that at my next visit. 

#25 fola

fola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Quick question for all you Curcumin takers out there (especially you Scuba :-)):  How much Curcumin are you taking?  I think I remember reading that some of you were only taking 4g?  Possibly Scuba??

Do you spread out your dosing - i.e. 2 or 3 times per day?  

Thanks all.

#26 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hi Fola - I had been taking 4 grams Curcumin (with Piperine), but started to increase my dose back up to 8 grams a day. I split the dose between morning and evening. Normally, according to Dr. Aggarwal at M.D. Anderson, a person with Cancer should take 8 grams of regular 95% Curcuminoids per day. Some Curcumin formulations have piperine and other ingredients intending to increase bio-availability (of Curcumin). Curcumin on its own does not abasorb well into the blood stream. The Curcumin I have been taking advertises 3 times more bio-available Curcumin. And that is why I only took 4 grams. But since my PCR came back flat - I decided to increase my dose gradually back up to 8 grams and watch how I feel and see if that makes a difference.

One big benefit of Curcumin aside from its potential effect on CML cells, is it is a strong anti-inflammatory. Arthritis that started to develop as part of my family history and age is gone and has been gone since within a few months after I started taking it.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#27 fola

fola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thanks Scuba.  I started taking Curcumin as a supplement a couple weeks ago.  I was taking 2g, but just upped my dose to 4g per day twice a day.  Maybe my left knee will stop tweaking. 

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.  

#28 super99

super99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi Scuba,

Where can I get the Sabinsa's C3 Curcumin?  I want to take it along with my Sprycel and also want my mom to try, too. She has Arthritis. 

I was recently diagnosed with CML 3 weeks ago and started Sprycel 100 mg daily for 4 days. Today, my headache was terrible - it started from 9:30 a.m. and didn't go away until I woke up from a nap for 3 hours straight.

Super

#29 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

Dear Super,

Please calm down, I can tell you are in a panic right now. First of all I have had cml for 5 years now,and getting through the side effects at first can be rough.I started out on Gleevac and I was on it for 3 years, I had gi problems on it so my onc switched me to Sprycel 18 months ago. At first I got the SPRYCEL HEADACHE, boy it sure is nasty isn't it? Idiot that I am I started my Sprycel 2 days before thanksgiving, I knew I would have side effects, but no I had to be a smart ass, I couldn't wait, After my first pill the headache came and it felt like railroad spikes were being driven in my head, My husband ended up cooking the whole meal,our fanily was out of town so there was my husband, our little cocker spaniel, Annie and me. I couldn't even get out of bed. So Ron (my husband) and Annie (our cocker spaniel) both sat at our dinner table, candles and all and had a wonderful meal, Annie was more than happy to do ALL the dishes.

Sprycel headaches are very common when you first go on them. The first 4 or 5 days they gradually ease up,and ibuprofin liquid gel-caps got me through the next couple weeks,and they gradually eased up on their own.

Michael is using himself as a guniea pig and doing a great job at it, After his dx he did a lot of research,and he is working together with a very famous doctor about the healing properties of a supplement called cucummin (I cannot get that spelling in my head.

But he has been doing this trial with an onc. All along. So Michael will tell you not to substitute that c stuff without working with your onc I'm only writing this post in case michael misses it. I sure hope you can research this herb and see if it can interact with any other meds she is on, if it won't I hope it will help her. We all think Michael might be on to something,let's keep our fingers crossed, Sincerely Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users