#1 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi everyone,

Im part of of a Sprycel clinical trial and according to protocol I have supposed to have a BMB every 3-4 months the first year and every 6 months the 2nd.  I was wondering what the 'norm' is for BMB's for someone not on a trial. 

Thank you so much!

#2 Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hi there,

When i was seeing Dr. Talpaz, he recommended a BMB once per year. My current Dr. informed me that he did not feel it was even necessary at this point, and

could do PCR, or FISH using peripheral blood sample. He would order a BMB later at an undetermined time as needed. I feel that the recommendations for BMB

will vary somewhat depending on patient's condition, and the chosen Dr. I'm a chicken anyway, and not tolerate a more frequent BMB

Best of luck.

#3 CindyS

CindyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

I had one when diagnosed in August 2011 and another at 6 months.  The 6-month bmb came back normal and the FISH was negative for BCR/ABL fusion and the results of the PCR test on peripheral blood taken at the same time was .035% and says that I'm MMR.  My Onc said they won't do another bmb unless my PCR results change negatively so here's hoping I won't need another one!!  I did OK with both of the bmb's but I don't think I'd want one every 3-4 months.  One thing that helped make the 2nd one easier is that my onc used a battery operated drill to get into the bone.  The first one was done manually and it took 4 tries to get into the bone - ugh! 

Good luck!

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

At diagnosis, then again every 6 months until CCyR is achieved.  After that only if CCyR is lost.

#5 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

BMB Frequency?  About 1,000 hurts.

(sorry, couldn't resist it)

#6 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Phil, you are profound this morn.

#7 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Thank you everyone! Its not the greatest feeling in the world (thank you Phil ) but I'll get through it - every 3-4 months...

Thank you again!

#8 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

My doc did a BMB at diagnosis, but all monitoring has been on peripheral blood since.  As long as the patient isn't presenting high risk factors, then he doesn't feel the need to put a patient through it (oh, and there's the cost component as well).  He was one of the authors of a CML study that compared BMB cytogenetics + PCR to peripheral blood FISH + PCR results and the data correlates closely enough to consider peripheral blood to be a reliable monitor of Ph+ and BCR-ABL.  I had to read the paper and put on my statistics hat to convince myself that I didn't need another BMB.

Not all oncs believe in this, but that's the direction that my guy takes...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#9 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

JMGrad - You wrote in your note that you are part of a trial. Important in the trial are cytogenetics and what is going on to the cells that are only found in the bone marrow. Sprycel is known to affect Osteocytes for example (bone forming cells). Peripheral blood is not sufficient for such a detailed look.

In that case - bone marrow work every 3 months or so is probably necessary for them to get the data they need to make them famous.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users