ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

http://www.news-medi...stem-cells.aspx

CML and B-ALL arise from the long-term haematopoietic stem cells

Although people generally talk about "cancer", it is clear that the disease occurs in a bewildering variety of forms. Even single groups of cancers, such as those of the white blood cells, may show widely differing properties. How do the various cancers arise and what factors determine their progression? Clues to these two issues, at least for leukaemias, have now been provided by Boris Kovacic and colleagues at the University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna (Vetmeduni Vienna). The results are published in the current issue of the journal EMBO Molecular Medicine and have extremely important consequences for the treatment of a particularly aggressive type of leukaemia.

It is well known that many types of cancer arise as a result of a mutation within a cell and prevailing wisdom has held that the stage of differentiation of this cell determines exactly what form of cancer develops. For example, it was believed that so-called chronic myeloid leukaemia or CML arises from bone marrow stem cells, while a different type of leukaemia, known as B-cell acute lymphoid leukaemia or B-ALL, results from B-cell precursors. This belief has been spectacularly refuted by the latest results from Boris Kovacic and colleagues in the Vetmeduni Vienna's institutes of Animal Breeding and Genetics and of Pharmacology and Toxicology.

The researchers have now shown that both CML and B-ALL arise from the most primordial kind of blood cell (long-term haematopoietic stem cells), although the pathways by which the diseases progress are different. The usual causes of CML and B-ALL are two highly related versions of the same oncogene, BCR/ABL. If the primordial blood cells are transformed - or made potentially cancerous - by a particular version of BCR/ABL, for technical reasons termed BCR/ABLp210, the result is chronic myeloid leukaemia or CML. The long-term haematopoietic stem cells remain and act as the dreaded cancer stem cells, or CSCs, which ensure that the disease persists. Curing chronic myeloid leukaemia requires the complete elimination of the CSCs. However, if the long-term haematopoietic stem cells are transformed by a related version of BCR/ABL, BCR/ABLp185, the result is a highly aggressive form of leukaemia, B-ALL.  The finding that B-ALL actually originates from the same stem cells as CML was both unexpected and highly provocative.

Kovacic and colleagues have shown further that B-ALL only develops if the transformed stem cell is exposed to a particular growth factor, interleukin-7. If interleukin-7 is present (it usually is), the transformed long-term haematopoietic stem cells undergo a differentiation step to CSCs, which in this case correspond to pro-B cells. If interleukin-7 is absent during the initial phase of transformation, B-ALL cannot develop.

In other words, two distinct types of cell are involved in leukaemia development, the primordial cells (also termed the cells of origin of cancer) and the cancer stem cells that cause the disease to progress. Unless the CSCs are eliminated, fresh cancer cells can arise at any time and the leukaemia will recur. The problem is that current leukaemia therapies are not designed to target CSCs. The primordial CSCs in CML are highly quiescent and thus difficult to target. In contrast, the CSCs in B-ALL are abundant and have a high turnover rate, which makes them susceptible to treatment. Treatment of B-ALL may thus succeed in eliminating most CSCs but if even a single cell remains intact it is likely that the patient will relapse, possibly with an even more aggressive form of leukaemia. "A therapy that targets the bulk of tumour cells will not work," as Kovacic succinctly summarizes his results. "To treat B-ALL successfully it will be necessary for us to learn much more about the development of the disease. A combined therapy is required, so future work should aim at developing drugs that target the long-term haematopoietic stem cells from which B-ALL is derived."

Source: University of Veterinary Medicine -- Vienna

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#2 Usurugger

Usurugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Interesting. Those insidious long term haematopoietic stem cells, would like to see this study validated. Wonder how this is going to affect those whom are in the current study coming off TKI's after years of remission. Though is seems to even further identify the precursor CML  BCR/ABLp210. maybe even better targeted TKI's in the future?

#3 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

As someone who has been "successfully" off my TKI for over seven months so far, my interest in the research in finishing off those misinformed mother stem cells is acute.

Seeing news like this helps me believe that there is a fair chance that if and when the goal is reached, that it will be published and followed up on to "cure" and, I greatly hope, prevent CML.

Have to wonder about the ethical quandary the drug companies have regarding their responsibilities to their stockholders to continue pursuing profit-making goals when faced with the discovery of a cure and a prevention of a hugely moneymaking cancer like CML.

Hoping for a simple solution to it all soon!

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#4 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

My, but aren't you a suspicious Aloysius!  Although, I sadly have to concur, not a whole lot of profit motive in curing CML vs a more prevalent cancer like breast cancer.

That said, CML is fairly simple to target compared to other cancers, so it is easier to study. That should lead researchers to target it so they better understand the biology involved, then apply those learnings to other cancers. Thus, they should be looking at how to kill off the CSCs.

Traci

#5 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

I know I suggested that we CML'ers should call ourselves Camels, and that many people have been guinea pigs for various different treament options, but even so... University of Vetinary Medicine?!

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

If this were true, then the test for all types of B-ALL would be examining marrow dividing cells for a variant Philadelphia Chromosome called BCR/ABLp185.  CML is not just p210 Ph+, but also p190 (which the article ignores for some reason).  So maybe pigs is pigs, to which Phil alludes.

#7 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

"It is well known that many types of cancer arise as a result of a mutation within a cell and prevailing wisdom has held that the stage of differentiation of this cell determines exactly what form of cancer develops. For example, it was believed that so-called chronic myeloid leukaemia or CML arises from bone marrow stem cells, while a different type of leukaemia, known as B-cell acute lymphoid leukaemia or B-ALL, results from B-cell precursors. This belief has been spectacularly refuted by the latest results from Boris Kovacic and colleagues in the Vetmeduni Vienna's institutes of Animal Breeding and Genetics and of Pharmacology and Toxicology."

So are you both saying that for you, it matters that the finding was in animals? And that specifically makes their finding invalid for human CML studys? Or are you saying they are wrong, Trey, regardless?

Better reply with simple words, as I'm needing some clarity here, thanks.

ChrisC

#8 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

A couple of years ago I'd have been all over this, tracking down the article, researching bits I didn't understand, desperately trying to find out everything I could.  As a result of that research I would have put forward a reasoned critique which may, or may not, have agreed with Trey's.  I'm happy to report that I am through that stage now.  I'm comfortable with the level of knowledge I have and feeling pretty well adjusted to the idea of having CML.  There are others on the board now who also have a scientific baclkground and have become great CML research bunnies and they can take some of the weight off Trey in handling the technical stuff. I therefore no longer feel the obligation to keep on top of absolutely everything for the benefit of others (but all power to those who do).

That's all just a long way of saying that my comment was not intended to imply anything about the validity of research in animal models to human disease.  It was merely looking for a cheap laugh (as usual).

Phil

#9 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

Thanks, Phil, always appreciate your input, and Trey's as well, of course!

I get it, no more posting of research studies.

ChrisC

#10 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

Chris, feel free to post all the research studies you like.  I'm sure there are plenty on here who get lots out of them (even if just a chance to vent their spleen on how bad they think they are!).  People come here for lots of different reasons - for support, for knowledge, to help others.  Even just to get some use out of all that knowledge they have painstakingly acquired .  People also come just to see how their imaginary friends are getting on and have a bit of fun.  

One of the best things about this site is that we can talk about anything from the finer points of haematopoiesis to monkey butt powder and long may that continue. 

#11 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

I thought it was an interesting study and appreciate when things like this are posted.  Like anything else you have to take it for what it is worth.  Kind of like the Cosmetic Gynecologist who claims he found the G-Spot only to be followed up by many other doctors claiming he is nuts.

(Phil - this is the equivalent of a bump sent spike in volleyball - please proceed with a cheap laugh)

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#12 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm afraid I'm still speechless at the idea of a cosmetic gynecologist.  You really do do things differently on that side of the pond.

#13 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Phil & Lucky,

I looked in the phone book and I couldn't find a cosmetic gynecologist.  Thought maybe I could get one doc visit scheduled for a few issues.  Must only be for the super rich.

#14 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Chris,

My "pigs is pigs" statement was a throw-away line, but since you asked, research on animals needs to be treated with some degree of scepticism.  No animal gets CML.  Some (such as certain strains of highly genetically engineered mice) get something that sort of looks like it, as described in this article: 

http://www.nature.co...l/1206089a.html

#15 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Phil,

That's why we drink!

#16 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Pammie!

Keep looking!

#17 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

Billy, 

You are so funny.

I have stayed up nights with articles and charts, trying to study the genealogy or the Long Term Hematopietic stem cell all the way down to the bottom of the Red Cell, Platelets and White cell. 

Getting little to nothing down on my susie homemaker projects and my socialization with my husband and friends.

I am going to have to be moving on to another life soon.

This evening I had a 1 hour facial massage and a 1 hour chinese foot massage.  now I am driven to drink, strong Drink. 

In the end my madness was to figure out the TKI along with the genealogy of the stem cells. 

Yes I am driven to strong drink.  the brain is a little muddy at the moment.

Maybe I need to go to the spa and splash around in the water a bit.

Best Wish to All,  This has been an interesting Journey, maybe there is a reason for it all!

PamSouth

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users