• 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ok my CML family

International Scale

October PCR 87%

January PCR .004%

April PCR 0.010%

Please remember, even if a person has a rough start like mine began with this CML journey, this does not guarantee they will not eventually have future positive results and an awesome response to the current meds.  I am down to 100 mg. Sprycel, perhaps one day I can go to 75 mg. and then 50 mg.  For now I will be happy with the latest results and wanted to share them with everyone who has been so supportive through the thick and thin of the last 6 months of my treatment!  I believe I may be quite comfortable with being a boring patient to the transplant doctor.

Support family, I raise a toast each one of you, thank you all!

Pam

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hey Pammie, way to go!

Congratulations, I am so happy for you. I'm doing the happy dance for you, and I just opened a bottle of wine to celebrate. This is BIG so I just  stuck a straw in the bottle. You definitely showed that cml whose the boss. It's a shame you had to get off to such a rough start,but you hung in there and look at you now! You've come a long way baby!

I'm sorry I missed your call, I had to go to a meeting.

I guess instead of doing yardwork, and planting flowers for the next few days, we'll be getting out the snowblower. I hope you're stocked up on your blizzard supplies,looks like we're going to need them. We shut the fireplace down and started cleaning, and Ron was going to scrub the walls down tomorrow in the living room and then he's going to paint it. But we had to start up the fireplace again so I guess we'll put that on hold for a few days. At least I got my drapes down and hung them outside a couple days ago. The barometer is down to 29.64, and our temp is 40 degrees, and the wind is picking up. Oh well it's going to be you or me. The lake never froze this year, and it's been warming up this spring. So we have no protection at all. Here we go 2012 is here!  Got your oven hooked up yet? And where has Judy been is she feeling okay. I hope so!

Let it snow we'll just keep on celebrating your test results!    Lot's o Luv Billie

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi Pam:  Glad you got good results. I like your statement about being a boring patient.  I must be a boring patient also.  I go see my Oncologist every 6 months, and neither one of us has anything to talk about.  I just get myself all worked up waiting for her to give me my PCR results, and then I leave the office and say see you in another 6 months.

I do routine blood work every 3 months, and then the second 3 month check includes my PCR test.

I am going tomorrow morning for my regular blood work for the Oncologist, and my Primary is throwing in all kinds of other things she wants.  So I guess I will be anxious till I get it all back.

Its so good to see everyone doing so good on all the different TKI's that are available.  I still do my Gleevec 400mg. everyday, and just feel I am very blessed.

Celebrate your great results.

#4 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hey Billie,

We ended up with just slushy snow/rain mix so far.  Crossing my fingers that will be the extent of the severe weather warning.  Winter storm weather stocked, milk/bread/cereal/beer/wine/did I say beer/eggs/beer yeah, I think we have all the supplies we need.  Did I remember to say beer?

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hi Susan,

I need to try to get a schedule going with bloodwork.  Now that I am leveling out I am going to be changing docs, dumping the oncologist, all he does is call the hematologist anyway, and try to run regular labs through the PCP.  I agree, it is nice to see everyone doing well on the TKI's, refreshing!  I know what you mean about the anxiousness surrounding test results.  Sometimes the longest wait we face.   Keep us posted on your upcoming labs!  Have a great evening.

Pam

#6 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hi Pam and Billie,

Pam, awesome news but you know I knew and am so very happy for you.

Billie, thanks for asking about me. I am doing fine, my PCR is steadily decreasing and my Wegener's is still in remission. I have just been very tired lately and a little hesitant with the board. The funny thing is that I was talking to Skittles today and I said to her "How come no one has been asking about me from the board? I haven't been around for a while and for all they know I could be dead." Anyway, not dead, just tired. I hope you are doing great and that you survive the snow. Also, don't forget "Smash" is on tonight. I will be thinking of my mother and your father.

Hugs,

Judy

#7 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Pam! Great to hear that you got some good news with your results They are looking very good, congratulations!

That is so true about your rough start - it's so great to see how far you've come in 6 months!

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Hi Judy,

I'm so glad you're doing okay. It seems like we all get spells when we are sooo tired.  Then we perk up until next time. Guess it goes along with the tkis.

We are all one big family,and we care deeply for one another, But sometimes we have to take a break from the board,or all we can think about is cml. That is not healthy either. That's why PhilB only makes an appearance occasionally, but when he does news travels fast. When Trey and him get started,just put on a pot of coffee, because you won't want to miss anything. Actually they've been getting along pretty well for quite a while now. But we're always lurking around a bit, just to keep an eye on everybody. I was on the board constantly for almost a year, then I realized I needed a break from constantly thinking about cml. And don't worry about us not knowing anything, there is always someone who can keep us up to date!  I've been dragging too, I started perking up when we were cleaning,and getting the living room ready to paint, well that's on hold now because we had to light the fireplace up again.And the furnace too! I can't blame nobody but myself Ron and I cleaned the windows in the family room and living room,and you wouldn't believe how many windows are in these 2 rooms plus the kitchen. And I vacuumed the family room,and living room furniture, so everything was ready to be shampooed. Uggg! Now we have to start over again.  I'm just going to bury my head until this weather passes,again Poor little Annie doesn't like all this cleaning,and now she's totally blind so even if we move a rug she gets confused. She just want's to snuggle on daddys head,while he lays on the couch. We got her at 8 weeks old and she weighed 4 pounds,and from day 1 she slept on his head,now she is 11 and weighs 34 lbs. and still sleeps on his head.  Take care ,you'll perk up again soon, we always do. We have no choice. We're all stronger then we think we are. Poor Lucky is going through a rough time,he just keeps getting slammed with one thing after another, for months now. We have to try and cheer him up. He is always one of the first ones there for us,and not just our site, but he helps people on other sites also.  Lots o Luv Billie

#9 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi Billie,

You are not only funny you are also very kind. I am so sorry that you are dragging also but through it all it seems like you still get stuff accomplished. I'm really not up to date on people's posts and I feel bad about that. What's up with Lucky? I'm exhausted now so I'm off to bed but tomorrow I will personal email you and Susan, if you are reading this, I am going to personal email you tomorrow too. Just too tired now but I do want to know what is going on with Lucky so please let me know if you can.

Hugs,

Judy

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hi Judy,Judy,Judy,

I'm so sorry you're going through a fatigue spell, It's really weird how we do okay for a while, and then all of a sudden we don't want to get out of bed.    and if we do It's push,push,push. Our bw is good, we see our onc, and he's ecstatic because everything is going so well, and we didn't even have the energy to change our underwear that day. Of course that would be the day we would trip and fall as we left his office and end up in the hospital with a full body cast! You remember what our mothers always said, make sure you have clean underwear on in case you get into an accident.Well when you're on a tki and you are in an accident,there is no way our underwear will still be clean.

So just rest up,and hopefully you'll be feeling better in a few days.

We're all here for Lucky, I feel so bad because he is the first one to help us. He knows he can share anything with us. I wish we could do more for him, he has just been through so much, at least we can let him know we are here for him, anytime. And  if there is anything we can do for him we are all here,he has our e-mail addresses.  Lots o Luv Billie

#11 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

hey Judy2,  I sent you a private message a few days ago asking about you. I wonderful if I sent it to the wrong Judy2, is there another one?  Anyhow have you checked your messages.

Take Care

PamSouth

PamSouth

#12 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hey PamS,

There can only be one Judy Judy Judy (even if she is Judy2)

#13 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Congratulations Pam, that's wonderful news!! 

#14 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Rissa, I hope you are well also!

#15 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Rissa, I hope you are well also!

#16 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi Pam South,

I never got your private message, I think the LLS ghosts have struck again. (that's supposed to be a mischief emoticon, looks more like he has indigestion.) Thanks for thinking of me, I appreciate it. How have you been? I'm  sorry to say I haven't been following the board that closely lately. I do think about everyone and hope all is well or at least o.k.

Pam Martin, do you have OCD now? I saw your reply to Rissa, twice!!!

Billie, I'm off to buy new underwear per your advice.

Hugs,

Judy

#17 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

PamM,

Your right there can only be Judy2.  I hadn't seen her on the board for awhile and she was a frequent one.  I knew she was tired had started Sprycel not to long ago.  I was wondering if she was OK.  She is a sweetie.  I hope the side effects and being tired soon take it's course and she adjust nicely.  I know she had a couple of problems to deal with, so I was just kind of concerned that she is Ok. She was always cheering me up even if she didn't agree, she is like that, you know!!

I had several phone calls back and forth from Indiana University Simon Cancer Center yesterday from the onc nurse.  It seems we had a few misunderstandings.  I thought the new onc and I were on board, same protocol, when I went for consultation last Nov.  I thought I was going to be have 3 fish/pcr and genetic labs and after an established baseline was made, with their labs.  The good doc and I would sit down and talk about the results and the TKI and the future protocal.  The onc had said that some doc go strictly by the guidelines but he did not. That if I were in a certain range and holding steady, he had drawn a chart on the board, he did not have a problem with me staying on Gleevec.  In fact he said he had some patients who had chosen to go off TKI and usually go back on them within the year.  So this wasn't new to him.  Although he said most patients are the opposite they just want the lated drug or trial and most don't do a lot of research about their disease like me. There are two oncologist and they only see patients on Mon & Thursday's.  The rest of the week the 2 docs are doing research.  The older onc is stepping back (he is 54 years old and been working with leukemia patients for over 30 years) but he is letting the younger onc take over the research.

Well I had my first PCR/FISH and labs Mar 19th and the FISH  was 1.5 and the PCR 7% and there were no other mutations or problems, only had the P210 bcr/abl 9/22.  However he said to come back in 1 month, so I thought he wanted to do more labs, and then wait 3 months after that, and do another one, to establish the baseline.  I don't know I was confused.  Anyhow I made the appointment for 2 month later (instead of 1) after the Mar 19th.  I called the onc nurse and told her I wanted to come in 2 weeks, before my appointment with the doctor, and do the labs.  I don't like how you see the onc, then have labs done, and then they call you back, to talk to your about the labs. Actually I had a gut feeling from the nurse he wasn't real thrilled about me being on Gleevec, but i figured I was still in that range we had talked about. PamM, actually I think I got that ideal from you, to have the labs done before you see the onc.  We are now playing phone tag. This is last Thursday, I called back and said we have already discussed counts and protocol and I was only came in for additional labs to establish baseline.  Well she didn't call me back until yesterday and she leaves a message (phone tag) he wants to do a BMB.  I am freaking out now, because we had discussed the BMB last Nov (I said NO More BMB). After hearing on my VM I having a BMBSo I am now very upset, because I made it clear to new onc at consultation; I have had two BMB done and I would not have another one, because of the sever pain for weeks.  I had to use a walker and ice down and take pain pills, and go to physical therapy, and I was now 6 years older at 64, and I'm not going thru that again. 

The bottom line, I said please call me, if the doc is aboard with me, I want to reschedule the labs for 3 month intervals, and make the labs 2 weeks before the 3 month appointment. I said if he (onc) WAS NOT on board with that, that was OK too, but I needed to know, as I would need to make other arrangements.  Anyhow she straight away, called me back, and we actually talked person to person,  and she said she understood about not wanting to do the BMB, and the onc agreed reluctantly, to do the 3 months of labs, 2 months apart, two weeks before my appointments and I could stay on Gleevec.  For some reason she tried to discourage me from doing the labs 2 weeks prior to appointment, she said why make have to come back, I said because I want the labs in front of me when I see the doc.  I don't want a call later to come back to discuss counts.

This whole thing blew my mind.  We had covered most of these issues back in Nov.  In fact the consultation fee was over $400.00 of which I have to pay $277.00.  And the nurse said she couldn't find the my previous 2 years of labs, I gave them (they were copies) from the old lab, done in NJ.  So I don't know what went wrong there.  But IF the conversation had went badly, I was prepared to move on to another oncologist.  Maybe fly to MDAnderson every 3 months for the next years, as I have been there twice was in 2005 and once in 2006.

The nurse did send me a warning from the onc, since I was not Undetectable I could mutate.  I felt sorry for her she, to be in the middle between relaying message from me and the onc.  Shed had just completed her clinical and I imagine they don't get many patients like me. I did tell her I was sorry, in that I did NOT mean to be difficult, but I was not new to this, and at this stage of the game, I knew what I felt I needed to know and even though he was the doctor, I had to live with this everyday, and this was the way I wanted it to go down.

I had told her, you know what, I could be undetectable or fly under radar and still mutate.  The TKI's are not cures, they only kill at the bottom level not the original defective stem cell causing the mess and even if they did my body would probably only create more of them.  The disease is chronic and they are mature CML cells that do function, so if we keep a check every 3 month I am more then a happy camper, then to go experimenting with other drugs or God knows what, and I am getting old.  No matter what the choice there are no guarantees, and what sort of quality of life down the road am I going to have.  I think if I were young I would perhaps have a very different outlook, they are targeted drugs but the body gets worn down with the chemicals and age, then again every one is different.  I told her I remember my mom those last few years and you can only give the elderly small child doses of med's. I know how it works they hit you hard then if you have trouble they give you more pills for this and that or shots and transfusion or whatever.  So now we have killed a few more cancer cells but what was the price.  It took me two years to adjust to Gleevec, I even had my gall bladder out that looked perfectly normal but it quit working, my kidney number went down, but not in danger, my face and eyes swelled like a good year blimp, I lost my balance my vision, etc.  Everyone ignored all of this and said your doing fine, well now here I am 6 1/2 year later I have adjusted and I'll be d if I am going thru 1 day of that again, if I don't have to.

Sorry got carried away. Easy to ramble on and on, thinking out loud. I guess most have their own theories of their own situation that is if they have been around a few years and know how their bodies are reacting and whether or not they want to change, you know all that stuff you have a little more hind site.  I envy the ones that can take a small dose.  That didn't happen for me and I was hit hard and brought down low.  Was hard to make a come back, a long haul..........

Sorry I Hijacked someones thread. 

Got to go hubby home today.  Going out for a nice meal.  Then cleaning out the office, oh dear boxes and boxes of files then painting mostly him painting, got a bad left hand.  Then we have two 8 x 10 throws we got on sale for 30 % off.  We built this house in 2008 and put all hard wood floors in except the living room, so I just put a few large throws down, then when they get to dirty I just roll them up and toss them.  We got a great deal, my husband works part time at the store and got special discounts.

Better go or won't get anything done.

Pam glad you made it thru the induction of Sprycel and took the fall and now on your way to a better life.  That can be a hard hit to begin with. But then you are a busy lady with her critters and all to keep you distracted.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#18 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Can't complain.........................much. 

#19 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi Judy,

It's all Billie's fault...........Judy Judy Judy  next thing you know I will be answering in 3's.

#20 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hey Rissa,

No one listens when we complain anyway.  Well except for our CML friends, they listen. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users