4 replies to this topic

#1 BY196

BY196

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hello:

Frequent lurker, occasional poster here--I'm hoping someone might have input on TKI-related endocrine issues.

I was diagnosed in January 2011 and was on 400 mg Gleevec until February 2012 when I switched to Sprycel, both because my response had plateaued on Gleevec and also because I was experiencing symptoms that my oncologist and I thought might be Gleevec side effects--severe lightheadedness, bad muscle pain and weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, headaches, and joint pain. My symptoms were (and are) worst when I am up and around and improve when I lie down. I switched in late February and these symptoms did not improve. Because my chief complaint was lightheadedness, my onc referred me to a neurologist, who did a thorough neuro exam and sent me for an MRI of my brain. All of that was normal. The neurologist suggested that I get some endocrine labs run, specifically free cortisol. (Persistent lightheadedness and some of my other symptoms can be symptoms of adrenal dysfunction.) She did not feel confident interpreting them so she referred me to an endocrinologist.  I was not able to get into any of the endos she recommended before May, so in what turned out to be a lucky break, I ended up seeing an endo recommended by a friend.

He did his fellowship at Sloan Kettering and had a lot of experience with patients who were on sunitinib, another TKI used for renal cell carcinoma. He told me that thyroid problems, in particular, were extremely common among those patients. He knew about the paper on Gleevec patients who had had their thyroids removed and needed more thyroid replacement hormone after starting on Gleevec. He explained that the best guess about the mechanism at work there is some form of peripheral thyroid hormone resistance--the Gleevec prevents thyroid hormone from binding in some way so even with normal amounts of hormone it is not able to do its work in the body. This means that patients have normal thyroid labs but are nonetheless hypothyroid. Taking all of this into account, the endo said that even if my thyroid labs come back normal, given my symptoms he is willing to have me try some thyroid hormone and see if my symptoms improve.

I'm interested in hearing whether anyone here has had an endocrine workup post-dx (and what it showed) and whether anyone has tried thyroid (and/or adrenal) hormone supplementation despite normal lab values. I'm wondering whether anyone has gotten relief from these kinds of symptoms in this way. I'm also curious whether anyone had significant changes in hormone levels pre- and post-TKI. I get my labs back this week so any info would be helpful for follow-up discussions.

Many thanks--

Beth

#2 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi Beth, I don't really have any information to help, I just am interested because I was told I have a large thyroid. I had blood tests done and they have come back normal.  They found the large thyriod years before I was diagnosed.  I was dx with cml just over 2 months ago and am now taking sprycel. I hope everything works out.   Kelly

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

There is a lot more to learn about this subject.  There have been  reports of Gleevec and all CML TKI drugs affecting thyroid function, and it is possible that it is a cause or contributor to some side effects such as fatigue.  But fatigue seems to be a fairly universal complaint among Gleevec users, but low thyroid function is not widely reported.  At least one study did not show a significant affect on thyroid function.  However, patients taking Gleevec who also had their thyroid removed seem to require higher doses of thyroid hormone replacement.  While the peripheral thyroid hormone resistance theory is interesting, it is  still conjecture.  Sunitinib clearly causes a high rate of thyroid dysfunction (close to half of all users), but it affects different tyrosine kinases than Gleevec and other CML TKI drugs.  An interesting question which hopefully will have more answers available in the future.

http://www.eje-onlin...158/5/771.short

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20089016

#4 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Given the weight I have gained, I feel like I'm hypothyroid. Doc ordered free t4 test, normal. Haven't had a full work up, but your post intrigues me. Type 2 diabetes is due to insulin resistance, which is at least partially due to an inability to transport insulin across membranes. Makes me wonder if something similar happening with t3/t4. Maybe I should see an endocrinologist rather than primary.

Traci

#5 BY196

BY196

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the journal cites--I had not seen the Turkish study. I suspect clinicians will not wholeheartedly want to embrace a resistance theory without some more specific notion about what is happening (competitive binding, problem converting from T4 to T3).

Beth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users