• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about having alot of discomfort in neck area?  I have alot of stiffness and pulling and pain in my neck,  the muscles and my throat feels like theres constantly a lump in it.  It feels full and very uncomfortable. I've been taking alot if ibuprofen and it helps I'd like to not take it and might just start deaing with the discomfort .  Its been going on for a couple of weeks, some days its worse than others. I am taking sprycel for 2 months.  Is this a side effect? My dr. said I pulled something and to take ibuprofen.

Kelly

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi, Kelly. . .according to drugs.com, you should be careful about taking too much ibuprofen while on Sprycel.  If you type Sprycel into the search bar on that website, it will bring you to to a page that lists drugs that interact with sprycel. It is a pretty large list, and probaby impossible to avoid all of the drugs, but it's a good resource to be aware of.   I try to stay away from ibuprofen as much as possible. 

Marnie

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

The lump in the throat feeling is edema (swelling) in the throat tissues, which are soft tissues that can swell easily.  All of the TKI drugs can cause this.  It becomes harder to swallow pills and such.  The sore/stiff neck muscles is likely just a side effect, and the TKI drugs can cause such discomfort.  This generally gets better over the longer term.  TKI side effects can be a pain in the neck. 

#4 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone for yoour responses, they are very helpful. Trey I like the pain in the neck joke, that sounds like whats going on with me when you mentioned the swelling, It's nice to be able to look foreward to the discomfort going away, soon I hope.      

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hi Kelly:  I totally agree with what Trey said, and I actually deleted my response because my problems are out of the ordinary with the exception of my Arthritic Neck.  Hope you start to feel better soon.

#6 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi Susan, I think it's nice to hear what else people are going through. It is interesting because I also had a disc surgery in my cervical spine a long time ago and had pain from that in the past, this feels different but I was concerned that it could have something to do with that, thats why I wanted to post the question, what Trey said makes more sense to me, thats what it feels like, more swelling and pressure. Not so much pain like with the surgery. I hope it feels better soon too.  Thanks again.

#7 vickilyn

vickilyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hi Kelly,

I am experiencing the same symptoms with my neck and throat.  In addition, I often have a sore throat and sometimes the lump feels like it is also in my chest.  I have been on Sprycel since I was diagnosed in November.  I have discussed this with my doctor and he does not seem to be too worried about it. The only things that seems to help with the soreness and lump in my throat are throat lozengers.  I have been going through a lot of them! I would check on the ibuprofen as someone else mentioned.  My doctor has recommended taking Tylenol for pain relief.  Interesting to hear that someone else has the same symptoms that I have been worried about.

Vicki

#8 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Beware of Tylenol. Frank

#9 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I will also throw out there that difficulty swallowing , if that is a problem (dysphasia), can be caused by GERD, or something called eosinophilic esophagitis (sorta delayed allergy response in esophagus). If on TKI, I could see GERD being an issue. Acid reflux also causes swelling.

Traci

#10 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have neck pain from whiplash injury. Here are some things I find helpful for stiff sore neck muscles.

1. Icy Hot rub or Ben Gay cream. Essentially topical aspirin. Doesn't get in bloodstream. This will do wonders if I apply at bedtime.

2. What are you carrying around?  Heavy purse?  If so, lighten the load. Get a smaller purse to force you to clear it out.

3. Ditto grocery bags. Tell baggers to put less in each bag. I find those young college or high school boys like to pack too much.

4.  Heating pad. I like those microwave ones that apply moist heat to the area. Try Bed Buddy wraps.

5. Neck stretches. You need to see a physical therapist to learn these, but they do help.

HTH,

Traci

#11 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thank you for the tips, I have used the heating pads, it helps for a little while, I also do the stretches, but probably not as often as I should.  It just came on out of know where and won't go away, i'll have to try the Ben Gay cream maybe that will help until it hopefully goes away. It also feels like alot of pressure towards the bottom of my head in the back and towards my jaw, my ears are popping too, vicki do your symptoms also sound like this? I went to have bloodwork done today and it's all in normal range, I only saw the nurse but I asked her about Ibuprofen and tylenol, she said that they are both fine but Ibuprofen is a concern for the bleeding. She said if I want I can take tylenol so I don't worry.    Kelly

#12 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi Kelly,

I've found muscle strains seem to take longer to heal since I've been on Gleevec, plus I seem to get an injury a lot easier nowadays - though a GP did tell me I was getting old, I'm in my mid 40s. It has gotten worse in the last six months (I've been on Gleevec for about 20 months).

#13 vickilyn

vickilyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hi Kelly,

I do not have problems with ear popping nor does the pain extend to my jaw.  It is the back of my neck and at the top of spine.  I guess it could very easily be stress related.  I am more concerned about the lump in my throat/chest and sore throat. 

My doctor also said Tylenol was okay to take, although I do not take it often.  I am very glad your bloodwork was good today, that is always a relief!

Vicki

#14 kellbell

kellbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hello,     I'm sorry to hear that it has gotten worse GerryL, I guess it sounds like a mixture of everything going on can add to our problems.  I hope the lump goes away soon vicki, I still have it too. I am interested to know if you find anything out.                        Thanks,  Kelly

#15 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Kelly,

Could ear popping and jaw pain indicate a TMJ problem?  I could see muscle problems there potentially extending to neck.

Just a thought, and I hope you feel better today.

Traci

#16 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hey Kelly 

I been on gleevec for 5 weeks now and had back pain close to my spine for a new two weeks and now I have this neck pain.  I haven't tried the heat pad but I will tonight. i been also getting pains here an there in my legs arms but those go away shorty after hey start

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users