#1 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

My labs for the past six weeks or so have continued to be level and although I am nervous about the PCR next Friday, so far it isn't bothering me as much as I though it would.

Have my latest labs and my uric acid has increased over 2 points in the last 14 days.

Neut 2.41

Plate 198,000

White 5.71

Red 3.92

Creatinine 1.0

GFR less than 60

Uric acid 7.5   (last lab it was 4.1)

The scale the lab uses that is associated with the uric acid is from 2.6 - 6.0

Because it was Good Friday, oncologist and hematologist were closed, but regular PC called stating I needed to call one or both on Monday about the uric acid level.  I have Allopurinol here,  but don't want to take it until I know I need.

I researched a bit before posting this, and I did read dehydration could be a cause for uric acid to rise but this did not show up on my labs yesterday and my kidney numbers all are within a good range.  The only sign I have is extremely dry lips, yesterday morn when I woke up they were peeling, (yuk) using the heck out of the moisturizer since then.

I feel great, I have been doing more than I have for months this week, but I did work outside at some manual labor tasks, it is still cool, so I admit to not stopping for water breaks like I would if it were hot out. 

Any thoughts anyone?  I did look up Ritalin and could not find any significant side effects of dryness associated with the drug, unless it and the Sprycel are working together, but still, if I am dehydrated enough to raise uric acid, wouldn't that show up on the labs.

Just wondering, any thoughts, I would appreciate.

Thanks

Pam

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hi Pam:  You could be starting with the Gout.  I would just call your doctor on Monday to see what they think.

I would not take the Allopurinol until you ask.  Its only 2 days till Monday.  I would think when the doctor saw the elevation in the Uric Acid that he would have said something.  You said you have Allopurinol already in case they tell you to start taking it. 

#3 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks Susan, regular doc wanted me to call other doctors, and I tried, but Good Friday, and those offices were closed.  I am trying to get some early Easter dinner things done, and am concentrating on drinking more water, extra fluids never hurts under any circumstances.  Have a great day! 

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hi Pam:  I am busy with doing things also for Easter.  You have a great day, and try drinking some Cranberry Juice.

It seems to help a lot of problems. I have to get some fluids in me also before the next blood test.

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Cranberry juice!  Heck forgot all about that angle, and me just getting ready to go for groceries.  Thanks Susan, and perfect timing.

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Pam,

I drink a lot of cranberry juice because I'm prone to those uti infections, sometimes I throw a shot of vodka in it.  I like the diet cranberry,it doesn't taste as heavy, so I can drink more of it.

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hey Billie,

Love the mixer idea, might have to investigate that later this evening.  I am one of those odd people who cannot drink or eat anything with an artificial sweetener in it.  Almost instant migraine, have tried just about every option out on the market.  I picked up cranberry/apple, and cranberry/grape juice, am thinkin' either one would go well with your shot suggestion.  Have to keep those kidneys healthy any way I can

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

My Aunt is 97 years old, and she swears by Cherry Juice, as she gets a lot of UTI's.  You just have to be careful to get 100% juice when you buy them, and read labels.

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Susan,

I'll give that a try,sometimes I get tired of cranberry juice, I'm not that crazy about it anyway.

#10 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi Pam,

You may want to ask your doctor about prescribing sodium bicarbonate ( I sent you a personal email on this) as it will help to prevent uric acid kidney stones and if you are getting one it will help to dissolve it.

To you and everyone, have a wonderful Easter.

Judy

#11 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Never heard of the cherry juice, will look into that, thanks Susan, Billie, the blood pressure med still working?  updates need updates!  Hi Judy, I will read in the morn, am seeing cross eyes, still working on that paper discovered halfway through it was to be directed to supervisors, not an employee manual, so now the 1200 some words I have written are going to have to be revamped, and I still have 1200 or so to go.  Like I told you, writing funny stories is more fun!  Happy Easter to you also, I will be in touch. 

Happy Easter, or Sunday, or whatever you are individually celebrating today!  Have a great one.

#12 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL, GOT TO GET GOING. BLESSING PAM SOUTH

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users