11 replies to this topic

#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Coming home tonight, I noticed discomfort in my shoulders and groin.  I didn't check the nodes under my arms, but they are bulging in my groin.  They are not extremely painful, but kind of achy.  It is uncomfortable.  So, is this normal for CML?  I had swollen nodes on one side of my groin when first dx.  It took about half a year to go away.  Again, just wondering if this is normal for the disease?  My last onc said to ignore it, but not touch it.  But it wasn't painful then. 

Teds

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Swollen nodes (related to the CML itself) are not common for people responding even minimally to TKI drugs.  If the swelling is primarily in the Inguinal nodes of the groin area, there could be an infection between the belly button and the toes or one of several specific other issues, since these groin nodes filter the lower body lymph. 

http://www.thelymphn...lymph-nodes.php

If you believe you have swollen lymph nodes in the upper body as well, an Xray or CT scan may be a good idea to look at the internal nodes that cannot be felt even if enlarged.  If the nodes came on fairly suddenly and are soft and painful, they are more likely bacterial related and less likely to be related to cancer.  So maybe antibiotics would be needed.  You need to see a doc about this.

A couple people here have had enlarged nodes that I assume resolved over time.

http://community.lls.org/thread/8944

It is important to see a doc and have this checked out, since a bacterial infection or other such issue should be dealt quickly. 

General info:

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/003097.htm

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi Tedsey:  You sure have had your share of everything.  I had groin pain before my diagnosis of CML, but never noticed any swelling.  Then it went away, and now after all these years of CML, I still get a pain in the groin once in awhile.  I am so full of Arthritis too, and I can never figure out what type of pain I have.  I hope you get some good answers after you get checked out.

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hi Billie:  You mentioned the Mammo.  I dread going for mine.  I have to make my appointment and get one this month.

The last time they did it, the pain in my left breast was excruciating with the new digital mammo they do now.

I have always had a painful left breast for some reason, and even the old mammograms used to hurt.  I told the girl that if I do not have cancer now, I surely will with all the compression and radiation I was getting.

Has anyone had a painful mammo at some point?  If all is well, I am not going anymore.  Its been 3 years I think since my last one.  I am so tired of running for every little test, and I know she is going to want me to go on some Cholesterol Med when I see her.  I am refusing any more pills.

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi Susan,

For about the last five years, I have only went had my mammogram every other year.  I have a friend who hasn't had one for the last ten years because she believe that possibly the mammogram, that may find the breast cancer, may be part of the problem, of getting breast cancer.  I head a talk show hostess say that she only  does Doppler test, no mammogram. 

I took daily cholesterol pills for a few months, about 10 years ago, and they made me feel funny. The list of side effects is endless, so I never took them again. My husband took some sort of cholesterol pills for about five years, but the combination of pills he was on about killed him a couple of years ago, he quit taking all of his medicine and only take metaformin if his diabetes is up.  I think what pushed him over the edge was when he took an arthritis pill a generic of Mobic, he was allergic to it and his hands and body swelled up so bad, I had to dress, bath, and feed him. His doctor keeps trying to put him back on cholestral pill, but he won't take them.  It was kind of odd when his doctor said, the only reason I want to put you back on these two medicines it to reach my medicare quota, odd think for a doctor to say to a patient. My cholesterol usually runs around 220 but my good cholesterol which ever that one is, is OK.   I remember in 2008 when Tim Russert I think that was his name, the TV Sunday News Anchor, had a stroke and died. He was also on cholesterol medicine.  I remember a lot of medical expert talking about it on TV, and they said a great percentage of people who take cholesterol medicine still have strokes.  Some time ago my Dentist was telling me how controversial the subject of whether or not to take cholesterol medicine, I don't remember the dialog, but he was leaning against it. I asked my cardiologist last year does any doctor know how all these chemical act together and he shook his head NO!! That was all I need to hear!!

I feel exactly like you do, I don't want any more test unless it is a matter of life and death and I'm not sure I would want them at that. 

I always appreciate your post and intuitiveness.

Happy Easter, PamSouth

PamSouth

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hey, Tedsey. . .good luck.  I hope that you will find that it is nothing and you've been worrying over something insignificant.  Have a great Easter, and try not to worry until you've had a chance to see the doc.  Hve fun with the little ones tomorrow. . .Easter is a holiday for young and old, alike. 

Marnie

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi Marnie,

I just wanted to jump in here and wish you a Happy Easter!  I hope this week went smooth for you. I know you were dreading it.  Lots o Luv Billie

#8 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Hi Teds,

I'd get it checked out,  more than likely you've got some sort of infection going on and need antibioitics to clear it up. It's annoying in a way, trying to tell if something is CML or TKI related or if you have something else going on.

Take Care

Gerry

#9 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I haven't been on lately.  Thank you everyone!  It turns out the nodes went down overnight.  I sure didn't expect that.  They haven't swelled up again, so I have nothing to show a Dr.  So, I will bring it up at my next onc appt.  Maybe I got a clog somewhere or I was too sedentary, (since the movement of our bodies drains the glands).  Who knows?  I am just glad it is not another thing to worry about along with CML, global warming and getting a vote passed in my city for 100% green energy.  I have been working like a dog and probably getting way too involved.  Guess I am somewhat of a treehugger.  Who doesn't love trees anyway?

Take care, all of you,

Tedsey

#10 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi Tedsey!

Awesome news, so glad your nodes are back to their usual size!  Sounds like you have been keeping yourself entertained (and busy).  Thanks for checking in, was wondering how you were doing.  Keep those nodes in check!

Pam

#11 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

HI Teds,

Good news on your lymph nodes. Hopefully your vote gets passed.

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi Tedsey,

Great news,you know what they say if it ain't one durn thang it's anudder.  If we didn't have this stupid cml,we would just ignore most of these crazy things that happen to us.

Take care, Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users