#41 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Pam:  That was so funny.  You could just picture it  My husband was trying to unclog a  toilet once, and when I went into the bathroom he was sitting on the edge of the tub holding the toilet on his lap off the floor. I never asked why he took the whole toilet off to unclog it, but he did fix it.  Then he tryed to fix a pipe in the bathroom wall with a Soldering Iron or whatever its called.  He set the wall on fire.  We do not do our own restorations or home improvement.  We either never get it done, or we call in a experienced guy.  My friends tell me to write a book.

#42 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for sharing your stories Susan!  I am enjoying this thread also, these stories are great, and I know everyone has some, this is the best place to share them because they make people laugh.  I giggled and giggled when I read about your eyelashes.  I have been that sick for that same reason in the past, anything that is in that mix does not need saved.    My mom used to bake home made bread, it was wonderful, she would start at 6  in the evening, work it down twice and then put in in pans and into buns by 11 p.m. Dad and I would fry pieces of that dough while she was putting it in the pans and then smother them with butter.  Oh you brought back memories!  I can still smell how great that was to wake up too.  In later years she started using that frozen bread dough, she always kept several packages in the freezer.  One night I came home and was rooting around in the basement for ice cream and left 4 packages out of the freezer by mistake.  When she went down to do the laundry, that bread dough had thawed, blown out of the plastic wrappers and was all over her washer and dryer.  With my mother's help I got out of bed really early that day, and had a heck of a time cleaning it all up.  Thanks again for the stories, and for reminding me of some great mom and dad memories I cherish! 

#43 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

So funny Susan, love it!  If you write a book I am buying/reading.  Then Billie is next!

#44 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

When I told the story about the bread, it brought back memories of my grandmothers farm house when I was little.

She used to get up every morning at 5:00 to bake bread.  I used to be upstairs sleeping, and would smell that bread baking.  Then she would toast it for me on her old coal stove.  Never had toast like that since.

She had 13 children ( my Mothers Mom), and after they were all grown and moved on with their own families she would still get up and bake too many loaves of bread.  She was so used to cooking and baking for a big family.

Your story about the dough made me laugh.  I could just picture it all over the place.

#45 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi All,

As I was digging around in my cupboards, looking for certain dishes that I only use on holidays, I came across my 3 layer cake set. It has 3 different size cake pans,and 3 different size plastic cake plates, and it has 8 decorative posts so when you make this cake it's not one layer on top of another, It's 3 seperate layers so when you put the cake together each layer is about 5 inches higher than the previous layer, it"s really pretty.

I had a birthday party for my son and I put candles on the first 2 layers so when I lit the candles on the second layer the plastic plate holding the top layer caught on fire,then my frosting caught on fire because of the shortening in it.                      HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE     Love Billie

#46 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hi Billie,

Frosting catching on fire could only happen to YOU. Hysterical.

Hugs,

Judy

#47 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hi Judy,

It wasn't bad enough that I had a house full of people when the cake caught on fire, nobody moved not even my neighbor who is a fireman, we all just stood there looking at it like we were frozen in time. I'm still getting teased about that, family members were there, and a lot of my nearest and dearest friends. Whenever they have a get together, I always ask if I can bring something,They always say bring anything but a cake!

Have a Happy Easter                  love billie

did you get my funny e-mail?

#48 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Billie, I am imagining the  party, the fire, the reactions, and then the torch cake,  You could have tried to explain it as a flaming cake, you know, on purpose you knew it would catch fire. Of course if your family is like mine, they would shake their heads and say, 'yep, she did it again.'  Happy Easter Billie

#49 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Several years ago a lady I knew became inventive with the ends her husband cut off the treated landscape timbers they used to line the driveway.  She drilled holes in the top, painted winter scenes on the sides of the wood, added a candle in the drilled section and they were very nice.  She gave them away at Christmas.  Because it was a gift and we were combining our families for the holiday, I lit mine and sat it on the hearth of the fireplace, it really looked great and many were asking if she would make them to sell.  A few hours later, in the same living room where the fireplace was located, and the television set with a recorded football game playing, someone noticed the candle had burned down to the wood base, caught the base on fire, and had a cheery little log fire in front of the gas insert fire in the fireplace.  The wax was in a puddle about the size of the dinner plate on the carpet off the hearth, had to be red candle on off white carpet, and not one of those men moved, they started yelling, 'hey, come in here, the carpet is about to catch fire, that wood candle holder thingy is burning and pretty soon it is going to get out of control.  5 grown men in that room and not one even stood up, the game was on.  The lady decided to add a glass sconce to the wood, keeping the candle contained, and it took me months of ironing on a cool iron with paper bags to get that wax off the floor before the next Christmas gathering I moved the dining room table to that room and the television and couches to the old dining room.  At least if we were sitting at the table and something caught fire, we wouldn't be hollering to the men to put it out, we would play firemen and the guys would probably never know.

#50 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hi Billie,

You could be the person who brings the marshmallows. I couldn't access the link you sent me. To use your expression my computer is "older than dirt". Thanks for thinking of me, though.

Hugs,

Judy

#51 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Happy Easter, Judy2 (and everybody)!!

Grandma's Doughnut Recipe is in your inbox.

Marnie

#52 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Bump bump, surely someone has a story after a weekend of family celebrating. 

#53 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Recently I came home and walked in the house, I must admit cleaning up the kitchen was not on my to do list but I will get to that in a minute.  I have seven dogs, yeah in the house, yeah I am a nut, yeah, I am a softie and I love them all.  The two littlest ones are too fat, no way to put it kindly, last visit to the vet I received a serious chewing out because if they do not loose weight they are going to be sick.  end of story.  So they are on a diet, because they are on a diet, all the other dogs, 5 of them, have to suffer.  I have always free fed, they eat when they want and when they are hungry.  These two chubs (they were picked up along a roadside, pretty bad shape), even though they are fat now, they still eat any time and any where they can.  It is an instinct to hoard because the next meal may not happen.  I didn't know how much they were eating till I took the food away.  More than a few of my big dogs were I bet.  Anyway, I have this pantry type cupboard, it is open with just shutter doors.  The little brats went in there, ate at least 3/4 of a  huge bag of sugar cereal my son likes, and 5 snack bags of Dorito's for lunches. They had a vet appointment soon, I canceled it, what we have been doing for the past several weeks began again.  I rearranged the pantry, there is now plastic dishes and such on the bottom shelves, if they want to eat them, I say go ahead, I will be picking the pieces up the day after, outside.  If anyone has ever had a stone tile floor that is a bit uneven and the grout lines are less than perfect (previous owner installation that was covered with throw rugs), they know how hard it is to get items out of those grout lines, even with a sweeper. I cleaned the kitchen, berated them for the behavior and they toddled off to the favorite sleep spot of the hour.  Lately when I come home they have been waiting for me at the door, that doesn't happen, usually they are on the back of the couch or on the chair.  I discovered a bit ago why they were being so good.  My son has been hiding candy in the laundry room, where we enter and exit just about their level.  They have been chomping what he forgets to shove in his pockets every school morning to eat on the bus ride to school.  The only thing that really worries me is, I pick up the dog poo daily, if not I would be overrun.  They are eating wrappers, am pretty sure they are not throwing them away, even they are not that smart (or tall).  If anyone has animals, it is easy to see what they have been eating if you do a poo pick up walk.  Nothing, no wrappers, nothing.  I would go to the oh my gosh they are eating the poo idea, but I am with them, and collect soon after deposit.  No wrappers.  I am puzzled.  I have put some fruit where my son has stashed the candy.  When he leaves in the morn all he is going to find is an apple and a breakfast bar.  He will say nothing and I will say nothing, but he knows I know and that will be enough.  Ok, where are the wrappers?????? The girls are in bed, so no worries they will eat what is there, but I can't figure out where the darn wrappers are! 

#54 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Pam,

I had a doberman,and one time he got ahold of a glass bowl I had filled with candy,it was in the middle of my kitchen table,I never thought he could reach it, he did, broke my beautiful bowl,ate all the candy,and not a candy wrapper to be found,another time he stole a big steak off my husbands plate,while he had his back turned taking the other steaks off the grill. I grabbed my steak and ran. His name was Fred we rescued him,I still don't know if he was really smart, or really dumb.  But he got his steak and candy,I guess candy wrappers all go to heaven with all the other candy wrappers.   Lots o Luv Billie

#55 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Hey Billie,

Fred was a happy critter, he had candy and steak, what else would a dog (or person) want?  Well except for a good robust dark beer or a bottle of wine with a cork and not a screw off cap, hehe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users