Photo

Does anyone that has CMl, have metabolic labs that show GFR below 59.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

I recently had all of my lab work done. 

I was concerned about my Comprehensive Metabolic, all were normal except my;

GFR EST MDRD WAS "58" LOW, NORMAL >==59

GFR COCKROFT-GAULT EST WAS "51" LOW, NORMAL  >==59

The interpretation below says that;

"MODERATE DECREASE IN GFR. 30 TO 59"

"If estimated GFR chronically in this range, this corresponds to stage 3 CKD." 

PamSouth

PamSouth

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hi Pam:  My GFR has been running around 50, and has been lower.  They keep telling me its CKD, but all my kidney functions BUN/Creatnine are in normal range.  I am due for blood work in a few weeks, and I am curious to see what my numbers will be.  Years ago they did not do the GFR on blood tests, and I used to get an occasional abnormaity on the Bun/Creatnine.  I would drink lots of water before the next test, and it was normal.  Now I do not know if I have more of a dehydration problem or what.  I am very bad about getting my fluids in me.  I will pour a glass of water, and it will sit there because I do not drink it.  I will sit and drink lots of coffee, but not water.  Coffee can dehydrate you also.

Those abnormal kidney tests I had back then was before I even had CML.  The nurse used to always tell me to drink my water because I was so dehydrated that she would have trouble drawing my blood.

Yours was not off by much.  I would not get worried about it.  How were your regular kidney functions?

I plan on drinking tons of water before the test, just to see what happens. I think I stay away from fluids when I have to go out, due to a overactive bladder.  I have to get a urine test also, and I think the water will be good for me to do.

I will let you know what my results are when I get them back.  I am not going till the end of the month.  I will look at some of my older blood tests, and I will let you know how they were running.

This is going on with me for over 5 years, so maybe that will give you some relief also.

#3 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi Pam,

I am going to send you a private message.

Judy

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi Susan,&Pam,

Susan I sure am glad you responded to Pam, I had no Idea what she was talking about. I was afraid she was losing it and getting our diseases mixed up. All I could think was, great something else to worry about, my onc must run that test on me too since it must be standard, but I never get copies of my test results so I don't know what all is written on them. For years I have been told to drink more water. I used to hate it but since they came out with bottled water I try to keep a bottle near me most of the time. Or in the morning I put a glass of water on the table while I'm having my coffee. And I just sip on it. Over the years I have gotten more and more used to drinking water instead of coffee or soda. Oh geeze, I have myself trained to drink big gulps of water and just now I'm writing about water and I grabbed my glass and took a big gulp, but it wasn't water it was my white wine,my eyeballs are still rolling. Because of my gi problems I get dehydrated a lot. And sometimes getting bw is hard.

You and Pam should just try to get in the habit of carrying a glass of water around with you. It helped me.

Susan, I know you can contribute to our post,you let the cat out of the bag on Thanksgiving. Pam come on fess up.                                        Lot's of Luv  Billie

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

I have heard GFR can be off from the diuretic pill I take, and getting dehydrated. I try to drink 2 16 oz glass of water when I get up in the morning unless I am going to be out and about shopping, or at physical therapy.  A sneeze or cough can activate my bladder on demand. 

the rest of my Metaboloic is good all normal. Bun 18 normal range 5-20. Creatinine .97 normal range 0.6 ? 1.4. Sodium 140 normal range 135-145.  Potassium 4.0  Normal 3.5-5.5, Choloirde 101 normal 98-108. C02 27, normal 22-29.  Anion Gap3 11 normal nothing there.

I guess I was a little worried in that there was a comment after GFR "Moderate decrease in GFR 30 ? 59. If estimated GFR chronically in this rane, this corresponds to Stage 3 CKD.

I think as long as my creatinine and Bun are normal I won't worry about my kidneys.  I sure would hate to be on a kidney dialyses. I will definitely keep drinking the water.

Thanks Judy2 I think the calculations would put me in pretty good shape for my age.

Billie you are our inspiration, right?

Hugs to you all xoxo

PamS

PamSouth

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hi Billie: I just love reading your posts.  You are one of the ones who keep the laughs going non-stop, even when things are not going great for you.  You and Marnie and others are having a great time well you drink your wine.  I just never wanted to drink.  I have had a glass of wine on occasion, but its just not something I do.  Starting to think that is what my problem is. I need some wine.  I never even finish my champagne toast at a wedding.  Thats when I drink my water.

I did drink beer when I was younger to be sociable with friends.  Hated it, but thought it was the thing to do.

I can remember one time I drank too much, and I was in the bathroom of the house we were partying in.  Back then I used to wear false eyelashes.  I grew up in the city, and was a real city woman I guess.  I started to vomit so hard that my eyelashes fell into the toilet.  My best friend who was drunk, pulled my eyelashes out of the toilet.  She washed them off for me and dryed them so I could wear them again.  I never did wear them again.  I got new ones, but I still laugh when I think about it.  Just thought I would share that.

As for copies of your tests, you should ask for a copy everytime you see your  doctor.  I keep a file on myself and my  husband, and we have had to refer back to old tests a few times.  I had everything right here, and did not have to call the doctors office. to get a copy.  You never know what you might need.  When I switched doctors, I did not even have to go to the old doctor for records.  I had everything to make copies for my new doctor.  Just an Idea.

Keep me Laughing!!

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hi Susan,

OMG that is hilarious,you have to put that on our post, in case nobody sees it here. That is the best hugging the toilet bowl incident I ever heard. I love all my friends dearly, but I would have to be really hammered to

rescue their false eyelashes.  Isn't it amazing what we put ourselves through,when we were footloose and fancy free. I hope you're extra careful if you are cooking on Sunday, or did hubby get rid of all the knives.

From one Lucy to Another Lucy  Have a Happy Easter        Love Billie

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hi Billie:  Actually I am not sure what I am cooking for Easter.  Gary has to work his night shift, and he does not like a big dinner before he has to go to work.  I made my Easter Dinner last week when Gary was off, and my daughter came over for dinner.  We had a nice meal.  I made a Ham and they complimented me for not burning the biscuits.

Do you remember the Lucy Episode where she baked that big loaf of bread that came out of the oven and trapped her against her cabinets.  Well!!!   I was going to bake bread many years ago, and someone told me to put the dough in a dark place so it would rise.  I stuck it in the oven ( with the oven off LOL) to let it rise.  In the meantime Gary broke down, and I had to go pick him up. I forgot to take the dough out of the oven. When we came home the whole house smelled like yeast.  I opened the oven door, and the dough was growing out the door.  I was pulling and pulling dough until I had enough to make a big loaf like Lucy did.  Gary was hysterical, and he helped me pick it all up to put on the counter to form into a huge loaf of bread.  I think I made numerous small loaves.  Never tryed to bake bread again.

I am not kidding when I say I am like LUCY!!! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users