scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

http://www.marketwat...ents-2012-03-29

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was a little put off by this study.  I would like to know more about who did it and if there are any underlying motivators for it.  They claim a couple of disturbing things.

"The study finds that over one-fifth of treated patients are in the accelerated or blast stage of the condition"

More than 20% of people living with CML today are in Accelerated or Blast Crisis?  That would suggest TKI's don't work as good as we have been told.

"CML patients often exhaust TKI therapies, so new therapies are desired to treat these patients."

This is basically saying that TKI failure is a given at some point

"As CML patients are treated with TKIs they develop mutations which may limit the efficacy of these therapies. Hematologist-oncologists report that the majority of CML patients tested for BCR-ABL mutation status have a mutation, with the most common being T315I."

Again this is basically saying that all CML patients will develop mutations and most of the time it will be T315i.  I thought that was the rarest mutation - I also did not think all patients will eventually develop mutations.

"Hematologist-oncologists report that none of the TKI brands have a good perception in terms of being effective for treating common mutations which limits their treatment options,"

This just seems wrong, with the exception of T315i I thought most mutations did respond to at least one of the three approved TKI drugs.

The gist of this report is that TKI's only work for a period of time, eventually we will all develop mutations and there are no TKI's to deal with them and I guess that is supposed to explain why over 20% of people with CML have progressed.  This seems to contradict a lot of the information we have today.  I find this very suspect.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#3 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

*Phew*!!  Thank you Lucky!! As a newbie to CML I read this article and had actually started scouring the site for information on muations when I came across your response. Ok. Now Im not so scared. Well... not as bad as I was when I first read it.

Jean

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Dear Michael,

It is quite obvious that this BioTrends Research Group is not on the up and up. I read the article and I'm not a genius and I don't know as much about cml as everybody else on this board does, but the way I interrpreted the article Bio Trends is pushing Gleevac, and stem cell transplant. So whoever they are must have a lot of money invested in G. Therefore they are putting down second and third generation tki drugs. And we all know how difficult a sct is to get and how rare it is. The Director (not doctor) Dan Winkelman has backed up the so called statistics of his research group. What statistics? As I said in an earlier post we are the pioneers, and in the future we are the statistics, and as pioneers I think we're doing pretty damn good. Also I live in Pa. and I never heard of Exton Pa. But I will check it out. If you read all the way down to the bottom of the artical,if your interested in their company stocks are available to buy. When I read stuff like this I get livid, and I can't see how they can legally get away with this crap.

We have so many new people on our site that are scared to death, and totally ignorant about cml, JUST like we all were at dx. Articles like this puts them in terror mode. Let's face it Cancer is probably the scariest word we'll ever hear.  But we are beating it day by day, so for everybody out there especially our newcomers, if you want to read the article go ahead, you'll get a first hand introduction to how low people will sink to make a buck, but please trust us,not a newspaper article, we're the real deal.

Sorry Michael I just had to put in my 2 cents.      Lots of Luv to All  Billie

#5 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

The study may have some value.  What we have here though is a precis of the study written by a junior financial PR who didn't actually know anything about medicine or understand the paper they were summarising.  You can have fun trying to work out what someof the things in the study probably actually said before this person picked phrases from it more or less at random, but otherwise it's worthless.  I wouldn't trust  a trainee nurse to do my income tax any more than I'd look for medical information in the financial press.  Chill guys.

#6 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

It's just wrong -- I've learned enough over the past year to know that.  Michael, I'm having a good glass of wine this evening and a chuckle with the family over this one (as I'm sure you are too!).

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#7 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

This is scary

#8 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Phrasing is everything:

"...Hematologist-oncologists report that the majority of CML patients tested for BCR-ABL mutation status have a mutation, with the most common being T315I...."

Well, yes, though most CML patients never need to be tested for BCR-ABL mutations. Those few patients who aren't responding well to their TKI(s) end up getting the mutation test and yes, the most common mutation found is T315i  and that's a good thing: now there is ponatinib, on which many then do well.

Right?

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Fresh material for my compendium of "The Dumbest Things I Ever Heard An Onc Say"*, which is now quite long.  It makes you wonder how any of us ever get good treatment.  Thank goodness the TKI drugs do the real job, and the Onc is usually just along for the ride.

By the way, as Chris mentioned, the reason that many people who have a kinase mutation test done test positive for a mutation is that no one is tested for a mutation unless it is believed they actually have one.  So that is a wee bit of a self-licking ice cream cone.

*TDTIEHAOS

#10 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hey ... no need to be sorry. I just posted what I found for edification reasons. I happen to believe it is a PR firm pushing a point of view by cherry picking the data. We do not get to see the data, only the summary.

The real point is no one knows or can claim they have "truth" in all of this. As Trey pointed out in another thread some weeks back - go to a stem cell transplant expert and for some reason you need a stem cell transplant to deal with CML.

The only truth I know is that if they (they being they) find a cure for CML, what happens to the BILLIONs made selling forever TKI drugs. The incentive not to cure us is fairly high, but I'm being cynical.

Nevertheless, I thought there would be a response to this Press Release dated only a few days on the latest in CML.

Dan: No wine for me. My wife and I gave up all wine (and alcohol) for Lent. It comes to an end, Sundown, a week from today. I'm cranky so no one bother me.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Oh Michael,

I'm so sorry if you thought my post was directed at you, It was definitaly not. I just get so angry when I see stuff like that I can't think straight. I guess I led a pretty sheltered life, in the past 15 years I have seen how cruel and vindictive people can be. My mom raised us to look for the good in people,no matter what. We lost her in 1992, and I'm grateful that she didn't see all the things my family has been through, or how much the world has changed since she passed. Hell I'm Catholic too and I faithfully went to confession every month, I always said bless me father for I have sinned it has been 1 month since my last confession, I know I must have done something wrong but I can't think of anything. But I am on the pill, I figured God gave man the knowledge to control our breeding because it was getting out of hand. I had 2 kids 18 months apart. That was enough for me. We were'nt farmers we lived in downtown Erie Pa. so 2 kids was enough.

By the way Jesus drank wine. It was either that or well water, so I don't think that counts as liquor. I have a well and I'm sure he would want me to drink the wine. We buy bottled water.

Lots of love to you and your family and Happy Easter!                 Sincerely Billie

#12 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

No surprises here. This is from a marketing research group, not a scientific study. They look at it from a marketing angle, and as Michael said, push a certain point of view.

Read this in the light of Dilbert comics, when Dilbert has to interact with marketers.   Marketers have their own brand of logic, data be damned.

Traci

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users