• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

i am on tasigna for 6 months now and have thinned out on my head and throw my body.. my eyebrows and feel like little bugs walking around { feeling } but the meds are working well just so hard to see your self loss the hair .. i know it can all ways be much worse. just wanted to ask so i can see is it me or the drug does it to all

#2 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hi Mark,

Hair loss is one of the many highly unpredictable side effects of our drugs.  Many don't notice any hair loss at all.  Others lose some and then it grows back (sometimes a different colour or texture to make life really exciting).  Some people lose some and it never seems to grow back.  The good news is that I haven't heard of anyone losing all their hair from the drugs.  A complicating fact of course is that all these hair changes can also be caused by stress - which we all have rather a lot of early in treatment - or just by age.  All I can advise is to try not to worry about it, hope it stops and/or grows back and if it doesn't then to look on it as a great excuse to wear a silly hat.  Works for me!

#3 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

thanks lol that's funny the parts with the hat...

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi Phil,

What do you mean silly hat? I have a hat just like that,I wear it to Church every Sunday. It takes up a whole pew,so no nasty germy people can get near me.   

Tally Ho   Billie

#5 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

I am on it for 4 months now and my hair is thinning on my head. Not too much but it is (and it was thin to begin with). I try not to think about it too much. Others on this board have told me it will lessen in time. I would rather be on Tasigna than having chemo and losing all of my hair.

I have that "bugs crawling around" feeling on my head all the time. Been that way for years though so I am not sure if that is Tasigna related or not...

A GOOD thing is I barely have to shave my legs now!!! All my friends are jealous lol

#6 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Billie this made me bust out laughing out loud! LOL! My germaphobe self needs to get a hat like that. LOL LOL. The people at my church probably think I'm rude because I won't shake anyone's hands. Sorry, not risking getting sick just for that. Job interviews I'll suck it up for but that's about it.

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Billy,

that is a great ideal, wearing the hat to church.

I remember one Sunday, after shaking everyones hands (during flue season), taking a germ wipe out, trying to discreetly, wipe the germs from my hands.  I noticed it caught the eye of the pastor wife and she sort of shook her head.  Now, she knows I have Leukemia, so I was a little taken back, when she shook her head. I quit singing in the Choir after Christmas.  Everyone was sneezing all over each other and it is tight quarters. I could just feel the mist from the back row.  I had a head cold on and off after that for a few months.  It just isn't worth it, the virus/germs.

Hats a good idea.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hi LV, Hi Pam,

Since I got pneumonia 3 weeks after dx, I have been paranoid about germs. I was trying to deal with the shock of my dx and trying to keep Gleevac down, then the pneumonia really took it's toll on me, Gleevac and 2 ivs with antibiotic, there isn't enough immodium in the world to handle that.  In the hospital all they give you are those spaceship diapers, one size fits ALL. They ALL would fit the Jolly Green Giant. Those meds went right through me, so I had to wheel my iv into the bath room, clean myself up, (not easy with the iv). Plus I kept running a temp of 103 even though the pneumonia was getting better. So doc called in a doc from the cdc.

That doc wanted to save everything that came out of me,you know those yellow things they put on the toilet to measure urine? They call them hats, they put 2 hats on my toilet, 1 for #1 and 1 for #2 and I wasn't supposed to get them mixed up. I had nasty stuff coming out of my body all the time. So there I was in my sexy open backed hospital gown wheeling my iv to the bathroom,schoocing back and forth on the toilet seat trying to hit the right hat,then clean myself up again,that damn iv was in my wrist because my veins had collapsed,of course. Then I wheeled myself back to bed spread the space diaper out on the bed then hop on top of it ,no elastic on them they go on just like a big diaper so I had to reach down and pull it up and tape it on both sides of my waist. Then I had to turn around and do it all over again 15 minutes later! 

Another true story of my life! I never exagerate (I don't have to). So I avoid germs no matter how rude people think I am!                      Love Billie

#9 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

all off you r so great and funny thanks ....

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi Mark,

We just tell it like it is, that's the way it is with one big family. You know what they say laughter is the best medicine.(Plus I say) it's even better when we share it with everybody.  Sincerely Billie

#11 cometbro

cometbro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hey Mark, my eyebrows thinned a lot when I was on Tasigna for 6 months (http://community.lls...e/102976#102976).  I stopped Tasigna and went to Gleevec because of severe acid reflux.  My eyebrow hair came back and full and I've now been on Gleevec for 9 months, although the acid reflux continues.

So for me, Tasigna was causing eyebrow hairloss but Gleevec has not caused any hair loss.

#12 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

ya thats what i was thinking its so hard to deal with this ...... change........... what to do

#13 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Mark,  I don't think I lost any hair due to Gleevec.  I am 64 years and have colored my hair since I was about 42 years. I guess, who can remember that long ago.  Anyhow  on occasion I have my hair colored professionally, but I get tired of paying for it, and go back to coloring it myself.  Sometimes I think I use a bad product and that damages my hair and I may have a little fall out.  But It always comes back full.  I don't think any hair loss is due to Gleevec and I have been on Gleevec for over 6 years..  Oh, I do have a full head of natural curly hair which makes it look like full volume.

PamSouth

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users