• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acb

acb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

I have had low potassium the last 2 blood draws (December and March). In December, they put me on potassium supplement for a week. (They thought it was because I also had a UTI at the time.) This time, they are putting me on a potassium supplement indefinitely.

I *believe* that low potassium (and magnesium) can be caused by Sprycel - just wanted to double check. I tried to do a search but pulled up all kind of weird connections (nothing related).

If it is not the Sprycel causing it, what could be?

Thanks!

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Are you on a Diuretic? Frank

#3 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

TKI's can modify the normal ionic balance in our blood. It's usually not severe, just new "normals" for many of us. The key is nutrition to nudge the needle in the healthy direction.

Consider taking a brand name well recognized daily multi-vitamin - with Vitamin D3 EVERY day. Add to it 1000mg. Vitamin C.  Add additional folic acid if you are in the early stages of treatment. Because of muscle issues, I added 400mg. Magnesium from time to time and that went away. I also eat a lot of Bananas which are rich in Potassium. It seems to work. My blood chemistry is normal. It was not normal at CML dx. It became normal when I started taking a daily vitamin. Trey mentions in his blog on CML for newly diagnosed that he takes a daily multi-vitamin with extra Vitamin C and folic acid (folic acid early during rapid cell turnover).

And of course - exercise. Exercise is the great normalize'r for our bodies.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#4 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

I take both a potassium and magnesium supplement daily since beginning the Sprycel, although my levels have moved upward a bit, after 5 months they are still low enough to warrant continuing the supplements.  Oncologist told me it was just one of the side effect of Sprycel for some people.  I can tell you they know pretty quickly if I stop taking it, last month I decided I was tired of taking so many pills so I stopped both he potassium and magnesium, by the second lab (2 weeks) I received a call from dr asking if I had stopped taking the supplements and why?  (Perhaps they know me well)  I have been a good patient since then and continue to take the pills.  One thing I might mention, I was first given the powdered form to mix with water or juice, darn can't remember which one it was, but I am here to tell you it was horrible and I swear I will never take that form again.  I will choke down a pill until I can't anymore then they can give me a shot. all I can say is YUK!<--tightly closed mouth 

Pam

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

All of the CML TKI drugs can cause low potassium and magnesium in some people.  The dosing information for Sprycel says your doctor should monitor "for low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood"

#6 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Trey - do you know why the TKI drugs can cause low K or Mg? I'm just curious about the biochemical mechanism.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#7 Beanie

Beanie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

They wanted to put me on potassium tablets too, but a nurse friend of mine told me just to eat a banana every day.  I've been doing that and my potassium level has been fine.  Just a suggestion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users