31 replies to this topic

#21 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

My two cents.  Since Laila is only 13, no matter how mature she seems, she is not an adult.  As a new teen, she reports within her life's experience and understanding.  There is a difference between how adults and children make sense of the world and report out.  Thus, the possible discrepancies and other things some people have noticed.  I am with Lucky and I choose to believe her story.  I would also hate to hold back support for someone who really needed it.  As we are faceless on this board, we could be anyone.  But I believe the majority of us are legit.  A person would have to be very disturbed to fake an identity and manipulate the members of this board.  I think we are used to talking to and dealing with adults.  There are very few kids with CML and I am sure it is hard to find friends who truly understand.  Despite this electronic medium, I care very much about the members of this board.  We are real.  I have been fortunate enough to hook up with and befriend a couple of people.  And funny as it may seem, we don't spend the whole time talking (and esp. about CML) when we are together.  It is like being with an old friend who you know just "gets it".  There are no words for that.  I wish Laila the best and I will continue to be here to support her if ever she needs.

Tedsey     

#22 jamietoftum@hotmail.com

jamietoftum@hotmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Well apparently I opened a big ol can of worms by trying to do good.  Im done with the whole matter, my intentions were to share what I had learned. That was it.  The reason my post was deleted was someone reported me as a hacker or something.  Anyway, Im just done with the whole mess.  I'm a reputable person and no matter what I say in this forum it seems that no one believes me.  So instead of trying to prove I am right I'm letting it all go.  Its not worth the undue stress this is causing me. 

#23 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Sunshine48,

Got your back.  I am here for you.  I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best. 

BTW, I was thinking along the same lines when you talked about protecting her identity.  I could only think it would be any hospital's policy not to give out information about its minor patients.

Take care,

Tedsey

#24 Sunshine48

Sunshine48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thank you Tedsey!!

#25 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi:  In the middle of all your going through, you said you were praying for all of us for Peace and Health.  I hope you  know we feel the same about you, and we are all here all the time.  I will keep you in my prayers, as you go through the process.  Just post anytime when you need a little hug and support.  Somebody is always around to post back.

The other thing is we are all over the place and some in different time zones, therefore, you have someone just about any hour of the day. Susan

#26 Sunshine48

Sunshine48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thank you Susan!! It's nice to know I always have someone around . Today was def not fun, like I knew we were looking for the donor and stuff but today was reality. You guys rock an it really is a big virtual  family on here

#27 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I was just reporting what I know about kids.  It had nothing to do with you.  I think there have been misunderstandings all around.  Letting it go is a good thing.  There is still a place for you here.  We probably all learned from this issue.

Teds

#28 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sunshine,

Sorry to hear the news, must be a big shock to you. Keep posting and always know someone will be here for you, actually MANY will be here for you.

Traci

#29 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Jamie,

I've taken a number of seminars on your brain and how people learn and react to information.  I do it partly to figure out the people I work with, partly to figure out my family and partly to figure out myself.  Our brains are really fascinating  One thing I have learned is that when our brains make observations, it doesn't stop there. Our brains are wired to "create a narrative" to make sense out of what we see and hear. Our brains will fill things in that  seem logical to us. But sometimes we don't have all the information, and the narrative we create turns out to be wrong.  It's the same phenomenon that happens with optical illusions.  Your eyes send signals to your brain, but it doesn't quite make sense, so your brain adds a thing or two to make it right.

This narrative thing has happened to me more than a few times at work. I get some facts, I dig a little deeper, and what I see worries me, because it appears as though someone is doing something unethical. But then, when I go talk to that person, I find there was another reason why they acted the way they did, which was perfectly innocent and ethical.

I've done this so many times myself, and I've seen others do it as well, that I have to wonder if this may not be part of the story here.  There could be very logical reasons why the hospital could not confirm her presence. Maybe she wasn't really there and only posted that hospital name to protect herself. (I know our schools teach kids online security, and one thing is to never post your location.).  Obfuscation is part of being safe online.

I also find that people almost always act with good intentions. That includes you, Laila, her aunt, and everyone on this site. Even the guy who emailed everyone about his faith was acting with good intentions.  In this case, you need to be careful not to do someone else an injustice out of your good intent to protect others.  

Traci

#30 Sunshine48

Sunshine48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Traciv(my mom spells her name same way :) lol).. It was a shock but I knew we were looking for donors and option was storing up in the background but still an initial shock. Thanks for everyone's support, I love this site and knowing its a post away from comforting responses :).

#31 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

laila, don't have much to write, got some appointments this morning and this afternoon.

Have been wondering how your are?  I am glad to hear from you.  I think I worried about you like I would one of my own kids.

Take care, and keep posting.

Prayers and Hugs, Pam

PamSouth

#32 NotJack?

NotJack?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yikes!  I lost auto updates, and was at Mayo, so I was a bit blown away by all this after I got back messages.  Sounds like as soon as Laila gets her Caringbridge back up,  we have a reset.  No one meant any harm.  This is a great place to let bygones be bygones.  Everyone is welcome here, and we all care about everyone involved here.  Lets just move forward and assume that everyone here is here because they belong here.  Jamie and Laila, you both have a caring home here!  Whew!  Take care, Jack   

Jack

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users