Photo

BMB taken from side of hip or back of butt?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I may have asked this before but I'm curious. Am I only one who had the BMB done from the side? It seems like everyone has it done from the butt side. I laid on my side and the holes were in my side in the front a little...

Laura.

#2 CindyS

CindyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I laid on my side and he went in on the back right side, probably about 6 inches or so to the right of my spine, so closer to the side.  I'm having my 6 month BMB on Friday with a different onc and I'll let you know if she does it any differently.

Cindy

#3 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi Laura,

If I remember correctly mine was done lying on my left side and he did it on my right hip. I may be wrong though I was pretty busy yelling and screaming, and flailing,and fighting the 3 nurses holding me down.   luv Billie

#4 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Mine was the same as Cindy's (right side too). I was surprised as I had thought it would be more on the side.

Btw Laura I know you are not keen on having another so I just thought I'd add that I had just the one as I had reached MMR by six months. My doc said once you've got a greater than 2 log reduction the odds of finding anything to look at in the marrow are really small so the only thing you get from the marrow is a PCR and you can get just as much info from the blood. I didn't argue with this. Plus I think you were really unlucky the first time round. I ran 100k the week I had my BMB including 50min the day after and 20k 48 hours after and that wasn't me being tough they just didn't hurt me.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#5 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Mine was hard due to my weight. I think the pain I am feeling is scar tissue. I don't know but it's driving me nuts. I will ask Dr. Talpaz when I get in to see him. I agree with you. I am in MMR at 4 months out and have a THREE log reduction. Yet my idiot oncologist insists I have a BMB. NO THANKS!

#6 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

That's horrible! I had mine done under sedation by an orthopedic surgeon! My oncologist doesn't do BMBs and that's fine. I needed sedation!!

#7 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

I am approaching my 6 month one and I'm fighting it as my PCR shows a 3 log reduction. What were your PCR results like?

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hi Laura,

Yeah that was pretty barbaric,first the onc gives me my dx,and 10 minutes later he did the bmb,and the aspiration, what a creep! I got another onc within 3 weeks,

the first onc wasn't at the cc where I go for very long. I hope they took his license away,he probably got it out of a cereal box anyway. That was almost 5 years ago and if I ever need another bmb,they better knock me out or I'll knock them out, they'll find out what a tough old broad I really am.   Luv Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users