scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

http://lymphoma.abou...ukemia-away.htm

Makes me wonder if I had been a regular Aspirin user (the once a day baby Aspirin) when I was in my early 40's if CML could have been avoided.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

For 25 years I've had neck pain (loved working with computers but developed constant neck strain). I took aspirin every day for years, and that was even leading up to my dx. Didn't protect me very well, though it may have helped in treatment response. After dx, didn't take another aspirin or any pain reliever. Who knows? I'm back to taking the occasional aspirin when the neck yells at me again

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#3 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I take this with a grain of salt. I take aspirin nearly everyday and it also did not prevent me from CML. Unfortunately, for every study that says something like aspirin prevents cancer there is one that says it causes cancer. You never know who to believe with some of this stuff.

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Dear Michael,

Due to a hereditary vascular problem, I have been on aspirin,and plavix for over 30 years. Bad genes.    Billie

#5 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

If I look back to a year or so before I was diagnosed, the period where I guess I picked up CML the only thing that changed in my life was that I met my husband and became incredibly happy....oops

Not to say that aspirin isn't an amazing drug that we continue to learn so much from BUT I guess you see where I'm going with the over thinking of why did I get CML.

There is a famous deathbed quote from Heisenburg (German Physicist): "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity ? And why turbulence ? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." Turbulence is the chaotic/random part of fluid mechanics. My understanding of why we have CML is that it was a random genetic mistake that wasn't cleaned up by our immune system. So Heisenburg asking why turbulence like asking me asking why CML. I  would like to know that answer to both! But because I am unlikely to know the answer to either for some time my current horribly inadequate hypothesis is "shit happens".

(btw I'm not going to apply that hypothesis to meeting my husband )

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#6 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:57 PM