mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Literally!

Hi all,

For all my life I have been a "sweater".  Nothing like a good sweat to cleanse the pores from the inside.  Of course my sweat never smelled bad - usually like roses or daisies.  I am now noticing after 7-8 months on Sprycel that I don't sweat anymore.  I have performed enough "experiments" to be able to make this statement with absolute certainty.  Nothing else in my diet or lifestyle has changed (and I take no other meds).  This is probably the cleanest cause-effect situation I have ever encountered.  Just curious if anyone has any ideas why this is so.  Maybe related to the 'water retention' thing?  I have put on a lot of water weight.

Darn shame that I have been deprived of one of life's simplest pleasures...a nice sweat!

Wishes everyone continued good health and many happy days...

Mike

#2 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

I don't know.  I hope you're going to bring that up at your next dr. appt. 

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Mike,

I don't need to tell you that it is not healthy not to sweat. I agree with Rissa that I would bring that up. I noticed that I very little heat tolerance with Sprycel, yet another reason if I were to switch I wouldn't miss it. Especially when it first gets hot - I can feel quite ill if I'm in the sun. Sort of ruined the whole point of getting a little convertible when I was celebrating the fact after dx that I was probably going to live!

Take care,

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, I plan to mention it on my next doctor visit.  I was curious if anyone else had the same experience.  I too have varying degrees of low to no tolerance to heat since my diagnosis.  That problem now seems to come and go.  Last summer I couldn't walk outside unless I was completely covered up.  We've been in the 80's for a week now and the sun/heat doesn't bother me at all.

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi Mike,

Although I used to be a person who did not sweat much, since the CML and menopause (pretty sure that isn't a concern for you) I become disgusted with myself sometimes.  It isn't while I am moving, instead it is the middle of the night, sitting on the couch like a potato, or even driving down the road.  Although I had to inject a bit of humor, I echo the others concern, non sweating is not healthy, and I hope your doctor has some sound advice.

Best of luck!

Pam

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Interesting.  TKI drugs can affect the pores.  The pores are made up of epithelial cells, which are fast growing cells.  Cancer is a fast growing cell, so trying to thwart it can also affect other fast growing cells.  That is why the TKI drugs may cause our scalp may itch, and the hair may turn curly or darker, and other issues.  The sweating thingy makes some sense in view of this, although it has not been mentioned before that I know of. 

#7 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi Mike,

I have had drenching night sweats for the last 1½ years. Then about one month ago, which is about one month after I started Sprycel, my night sweats have diminished. I attributed that to improvement in my CML, now I am not so sure. It will be interesting to see if I stop sweating entirely as time goes on. Mike, please keep us informed as to your situation.

Judy

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi Judy,

How are you feeling?  Better I hope!   Love Billie

#9 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hi Billie,

I am feeling better, I  have more energy and my night sweats have improved (which I thought was a good sign). I do think Sprycel is working, I will know more in about one month.

How are you doing? Do you feel better now that you are in your own cozy home? I'm glad you are home and posting more, the board wasn't the same when you were in Florida. I always get a good laugh when you post (no pressure to be funny) but it does cheer me up.

xo,

Judy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users