#1 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Over the past months I have read many informational articles concerning Sprycel and the effects on the body.  One item that sticks in my mind, (cannot remember where I read this) Sprycel is in and out of the body in about 5 hours.  I find this very interesting.  I do not have the 'hot ear symptom' until the following day after taking the pill.  I usually take the Sprycel around 5 p.m., so in theory the pill should be pretty much gone by the next morning, but I get that red ear thingy in early afternoon before I am ready to take another pill.  I never had this symptom till I began the Sprycel, now it is less severe than it used to be on the 140 mg, but it does continue to exist.  Did I read correctly, or does the drug only kill the leukemia cells around the 5 hour time frame and of course all other side effects are not considered in this period?  I find this entire idea interesting, I do know some meds are in and out of the body quickly and others build up, one of my son's drugs is a slow build it may take a full 6 weeks to reach potential and just as long to completely exit the body if he would stop taking this drug.  I am under the impression Sprycel is not a drug that builds in the system, it goes in, does the job and heads out.  I have read you cannot take the anti-acid 2 hours before or after so the body can absorb the TKI, but after that it is ok.  Lately I have been experiencing serious heartburn, today was horrible, I felt many times I had a concrete block sitting on my chest and the burn in my throat is horrid, even eating dinner was a struggle, I finally gave up but am still uncomfortable many hours later.  Any thoughts on these subjects I would appreciate.  Thanks!  (Lots of issues, if I need to separate each one for clarity I will.

Pam

#2 janne

janne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Pam,

I remember also the time frame of five hours for Sprycel. I believe it was mentioned on this board. Someone who has those, what they call pharmacokinectics facts will speak up on this issue, I am sure.. I have no experience with Sprycel. I find these questions interesting. One experience I had on Gleevec, was, I had taken my regular dose on a Monday, then due to extremely intolerable side effects, I missed doses on Tuesday and Wednesday AND Thursday. On Thursday, I had the side effect onset of the Gleevec muscle pain, which I was quite familiar with and there was no mistaking its origin. (I did not lose response to Gleevec with these missed doses.) I found this odd in that I assumed it would have been out of my body by then. Then with Pat's current experiences with her Sprycel break and the pain in her hands/ fingers...what is that all about ? I often wonder with Tasigna, which I am now taking, how much our diet during the day affects how our drug is processed even when we observe the time period of the three hour fast. I have found that on a few days where I did not eat at all, but took my medicine like a good girl, I felt the best ! Then even when complying with food restriction times, I have felt not quite as well. Interesting.Not enough information to draw solid conclusions from.  I realize that sprycel does not have these restrictions, but it makes me wonder how well we process these drugs on a daily ongoing basis and why the fluctuations in side effects.  It sounds like you are getting some reflux......not sure how the sprycel relates, but it is tough on the digestion. While  I do not use proton pump inhibitors, I do use an occcasional H2 blocker( -tidine drugs like ranitidine, famotidine, cimetidine; my doc knows it is an occasional usage and it helps tremendously.) More feed back on this issue from others would be most helpful...Janne.

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.

CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#3 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hi Pam,

I was thinking about what you said regarding the 5 hour time frame and side effects. A dermatologist once told me that it is possible to have an allergic reaction one week after stopping a medicine. Now that is an allergic reaction, I'm not sure how that pertains to side effects. I do know that 24 hours after I went off Tasigna the rash I had spread to my arms and I continued to get a rash for 3 days after I went off Bactrim. I do think these drugs build up in our system so I'm thinking the side effects may build up too. If Sprycel only lasted 5 hours wouldn't we have to take it every 5 hours? Then again I could be entirely wrong. In regard to your red ear thingy, have you ever had Rosacea? I wonder if that could be a symptom of Rosacea? Just my brain fogged thoughts.

Judy

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi Pammie,

What you are experiencing is the exact same thing I had while I was on Gleevac. As soon as I went off G it went away. Sprycel gives me nausea once in a while but I can handle that.  After all you've been through, I wouldn't be surprised if you had acid reflux. I can't take nexium anymore for reflux, but I take 80mg. of Protonix a day, and that seems to be working for me. Don't let it go on too long,because if it's reflux it can damage your esophagus like it did mine. That was before cml. It seems like all we do is go out for bw,test's,&Drs. appts. and the liquor store. We gotta have our wine. I always have red peppermint hard candy in the house it really helps me with stomache issues. I don't think there is anything that these tkis don't affect us,at one time or another.

You gotta get your stomache settled down,so we can eat our dairy queen cake. lots o luv Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users