• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I often think that an energy drink may give me the extra boost I need at times. Anyone here drink them? Any ill affects? Do they work?

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#2 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Guess not

#3 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

I don't drink those things.  They are BAD for you, Woof Woof.  Thought judging from the sales. . .lots of people DO drink them. I would be afraid of coming crashing down an hour after drinking that stuff. 

Marnie

#4 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I drink a particular sugar free caffeine drink, not really an energy drink. I figure that I'm already on a diretic so a little more phenylalanine and caffeine might just help my fluid build up...and I don't wish to hear otherwise. I do get a little pickup but I think it's mainly psychological i.e. I'm addicted!!!

One of my co-workers, a lovely guy who has no idea about my medical issues, told me "don't drink that stuff you'll get cancer". I was so close to "Mate it's too late...why didn't you tell me earlier?"...but I just smiled politely.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#5 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

I drink XS and it gives me a little boost.  It doesn't have caffeine and sugar in it, just vitamins.  So there's no crash afterward.

#6 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Interesting you should post this, I bought a 5 hour energy today, I need to try to do something, I am having difficulty getting out of my own way.  The days fly by and I am sitting, I just hate that part.  I try to force myself to move.  I read somewhere from someone (sorry memory does not serve) that they use those, so I figured why not.  I would like to know if others use them, have used them, and how they did.  I see Marnie doesn't think they are safe and because I value her opinion I will be interested in what she has to say along with others.  Thanks for the post, it could not have come at a better time.

Pam

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey jjg,

We could start an entire new post on things cancer patients should probably refrain from stating to people without cancer, even though it would be a really appropriate response. 

That post mentioning someone noted their cat had leukemia when discovering a person they know has CML keeps running through my mind.  Although most will not find the humor in this, I probably would have said, 'Well at least you can put your cat down when it gets really sick.'  (I fully admit to a warped sense of humor, perhaps the CML has brought out the worst of the worst for this trait)

Pam

#8 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Don't take my advice on energy drinks.  I have no basis for not drinking them except that I'm a little weird.  I don't like soda pop, either.  I just can't stand the way cola tastes (yuck!).  I like to drink plain old tap water (don't give me any of that bottled stuff).   I didn't have my first alcoholic drink until I was 29.  Now I drink margaritas and white wine like there's no tomorrow!  I do worry about kids and how they consume energy drinks.  The kids at my school come into the building each morning drinking coffee and energy drinks, and I DON'T think it's safe or healthy for them.  But I'm not their parent. 

I wish I liked coffee and beer. . .but they taste awful, and I just can't rationalize learning to like them.  I guess that's o.k. because my husband drinks enough of those two drinks for both of us!!

Marnie

#9 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

I mentioned that post to my husband and said that I hoped he wasn't considering that for me. . .putting me down and finding a newer model.  That cracked him up.  He allowed as to he wasn't ready to do that. . .yet.

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Marnie,

I said the same thing to Ron a couple years ago. He said between me and Annie, we're the last 2 females he plans on having in his life. But he didn't say anything about not putting me down! I'm sure he has considered it. I wouldn't blame him.             Billie

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Personally I would stay away from them.  They find more things to help you out, and then you find out they never had any good effect on you or caused other problems.  Especially already having cancer, who needs more trouble.

#12 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the input guys-guess I'll stick to Bombay and tonic

#13 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I purchased a few 5 Hour Energy drinks, next time I feel like I can't go past the afternoon I am going to try one.  I am curious to see just what, if any, effects they have.  I filled in a few years ago at a local convenience store that catered to I-80 traffic and truckers, I sold the energy drinks by the boat loads, it was amazing how many people use them.  I will post on this thread when I finish my research.

#14 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Coffee, coffee, coffee and more........coffee.  :-)

#15 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

http://www.xsblast.c...cranberry-grape

Here is a link to the energy drink I use.  As you can see, there is no caffeine or sugar in it, so no big crash an hour later, just a big blast of B vitamins. I drink coffee too, but I can only drink 2 cups per day if I want to fall asleep at night.

ETA: I linked to the wrong one.  The one I drink is caffeine free and I linked it in a later post.

#16 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi Lizzybee - there's caffeine in that there drink

Ingredients:

Carbonated Water, Taurine, L-Glutamine, Citric Acid, Cranberry Juice Concentrate, Adaptogen Blend (Eleutherococcus Senticosus, Panax Ginseng, Panax Quinquefolium, Schisandra, Astragalus, and Reishi), Natural Flavors, Acesulfame Potassium, Caffeine, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sucralose, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Pyridoxine HCL, Red 40, Cyanocobalamin. **Protein Source from freeform Amino Acids

#17 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Actually, there is a healthy drink I make some mornings when I have the time.  I make the Dr. Oz "green drink".  It's got cucumber, apples, spinach, parsley, ginger, celery, lemon and lime.  This drink does give me a boost in the morning, but it is time consuming.  Coffee's much quicker.

#18 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Wow, if I had all of those ingredients on hand I think I would make sangria and chew on some veggies.

#19 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I know.  Crazy, huh?

#20 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am all for the healthy, but am thinkin' the fruit would look quite lovely in a nice rosy red sangria.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users