• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

So during the 2 hours before and 1 hour after fast when taking the pills can you chew gum with sugar or drink something with sugar?

#2 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have water soda stuff like that . i think its ok i feel good. i never got sick

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

The issue is QT prolongation.  If you do not have an issue with it, you could technically eat an entire meal with the Tasigna.  It is only an issue of making the Tasigna more "potent" in the body and therefore making the risk of stressing the QT cycle by increasing drug concentration in the body if you eat something that inhibits liver clearance of the drug (like grapefruit or such).  I would never tell someone to ignore dosing instructions, of course, but if it were me, and my QT was not hyper-prolongulationalyated, I would just eat whenever and take the drug whenever and forget it.  But that's just me.  At a minimum I would personally eat crackers or a soft drink with it.

#4 Chris1579

Chris1579

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Trey,

How long of a EKG is normal to obtain a good reading on the QT? - Is only having a 1 to 2 minute EKG good enough?

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

It should only take a few heartbeats to see if it is an issue.

#6 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

That's good to know! I was always worried it would make my meds not as effective. I do have heart palps but no QT prolongation. I will still follow the fast but sometimes I am STARVING and eat 45 min. after taking the pill. Now I know it won't kill me if I do.

#7 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

FWIW, I wouldn't eat dairy products within the 3 hour window, because Tasigna bonds to calcium, and if any of the calcium is not absorbed, the Tasigna that bonded to it isn't absorbed either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users