#1 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm feeling sorry for myself so, of course, who do I turn to for sympathy? All of you lucky people! So far in the past 5 days I have had an echocardiogram, ProBNP blood test, and today I had a chest CT. Anything cardio was perfectly normal; the CT was to rule out pulmonary embolism, because evidently my pain and shortness of breath levels were out of whack with what the x-ray showed as a very small pleural effusion. My uneducated guess (I left my MD license in my other purse) is I'm in more pain because I'm so short waisted that there is no place for the fluid to go except to press on whatever boney process is in the way! (Thank you, Mom) Otherwise, I have a pretty high pain tolerance, I went through a spleen infarc before dx and didn't call the doc or go to the emergency room because I had just seen my PCP that afternoon so what could possibly go wrong? How's that for denial? BTW, my CT showed a moderate pleural effusion, but I have no way to correlate that to the x-ray but since my pain increased, I assume the amount of fluid did, too.

So, anyway, I met with one of the medical oncologists, my normal doc is on vacation, and he agreed that I should stop the Sprycel until this resolves and try a lower dose at that time. If I don't see any improvement in 5-10 days I'm going to press for some prednisone to help it along.

He gave me Tramadol for the pain because I hate narcotic pain killers. Can you say "terminal constipation"? But really, what's the diff between narcotic-like and narcotic? Anyone else taking/taken this? What can I expect?

So the bad thing is I'm off Sprycel. On the other hand, the good thing is, I'm off Sprycel! I intend to savor every pre-CML normal feeling day I have!

Thanks for listening to my rambling; I'm very aware that there are many of us out there who are going through much more than I and I keep you in my thoughts and heart every day!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#2 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi Pat. my mom took Tramadol for years for her degenerative disk disease.  It is

just a potent anti-inflammatory drug and it gave her no problems.  She always

took it with each meal. I hope it helps you.

Ah, to feel normal again.  I have forgotten who I was. (I have

almost forgotten English, as well).  It would be difficult to

learn a second language now with CML.

Take care.

Simone

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks, Simone; that's encouraging! This may be helpful for some who have bone pain. The doc who prescribed it broke his femur in 6 places several years ago in a skiing accident, he takes it on the days "his leg is talking to him". His words.

I took my first one 45 minutes ago (50 mg) and it really does seem to have taken the edge off the pain when I take a deep breath.

Pat

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

In addition to the traditional pleural effusion (fluid around the outsides of the lungs), Sprycel can occasionally cause fluid to build up in the alveoli air sacs inside the lungs.  The Xray won't see the alveoli fluid since it is so diffused.

#5 BethG

BethG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Oh Pat,

I was surfing the LLS Boards today and I'm very, very sorry to hear your news! I hope your PE clears up quickly and doesn't make a reappearance.

Thinking of you,

BethG

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi Pat,

Enjoy your drug break Hopefully the pleural effusion resolves itself quickly.

#7 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hey, Pat.  .sorry to hear about your woes.  That stinks!  I hadn't noticed brain fog until this week. . sheesh!!  Try teaching middle school advanced math with a brain that doesn't function.  Duh!  I guess maybe I DO have more side effects than I had realized.  Or maybe I'm just getting dumber.  I wonder if a week off of Sprycel can restore brain function?  Good luck and enjoy your drug-free time.  Control the stress that might happen knowing that you are not taking your pills.  Geez. . .you just can't win in this game, can you!?!?

All the best,

Marnie

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Trey,

I went back to the Aug. 25, 2011 post by idagata where you attached the articles on aveolar involvement. I'm not saying it isn't a possibility but I had just been at Mayo on Feb. 23 and was already symptomatic, although I didn't realize what is was at the time. Dr. L is very thorough in his assessment. I never see a nurse, he does everything himself, very hands on, a skill that is sadly not being taught in this technologically enhanced medical world. My lungs have always been crystal clear, no crackles, rales, wheezes, etc. He is the only physician to tell me I have a murmur however, which was later born out by the echocardiogram. He spends at least 10 minutes listening to my lungs and generally comes up with new ways to listen. This time I put my hands on top of my head and he listened to my lungs from the side.

Still, very interesting and I will take the article to Dr. S. when I see him the first week of April. He is not as thorough as Dr. L but does listen to my lungs at every appt. and always says they sound completely dry.

Thanks for the information.

Pat

Pat

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Beth,

It's so good to see your post! Thanks for the commiseration. I assume the reason you are an infrequent poster is because you are doing so well and I'm very happy for you!

I made it to London and met PhilB and his wonderful family and they prepared some marvelous food for my friend and me. They showed us Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral and the town proper, and my personal favorite, Old Sarum! His wife is so knowledgeable about the area, such a historian!

Take care,

Pat

Pat

#10 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Gerry and Marnie,

I definitely intend to enjoy my time off Sprycel, hopefully the PE (which I've found is really used for pulmonary embolism, but I will use it for pleural effusion) will resolve quickly and on its own.

Fortunately, I had the experience of being off Gleevec for 7 weeks while waiting for my liver enzymes to return to normal with no rise in FISH or CBC so I'm hoping that will hold true this time, too.

I only hope I don't have to repeat the first night on Sprycel all over again when I resume. That was nasty!

Pat

Pat

#11 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hi Pat,

What Sprycel dose were you on before stopping?

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#12 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hi Pat,

Sorry for your PE but I hope you are able to enjoy your drug holiday. Post and tell as all about your drug free days so we can have a vicarious experience.

Hugs,

Judy

#13 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

Dear Pat,

Boy what a bummer, you get a break from Sprycel,but you still have that awful pain to deal with. I don't really know what pe is and I hope I never find out. I do take a water pill every day. I think that helps me a lot because I've always retained water. But my pcp would'nt give me a water pill because I always had low bp. Now that I have high bp I have to take a water pill everyday. I'm the same way as you when it comes to taking pain pills. I'd rather take ibuprofin to take the edge off the pain, But if it gets to bad,take the pain pill. If I ever need a pain pill for something I'm going to take it. I'm just tired of the aches and pains which is probably age related but dammit I'm going to use the tki excuse as long as I can get away with it.

I think it's wonderful that you got to meet Phil B. I'm sure he has a lovely family, and I bet he's a perfect gentleman,and a wonderful husband and father when he's not hiding behind his computer. I sure hope you feel better tomorrow,so you can enjoy you're tki break.  Oh and when I had my yearly cardio tests my doc discovered I had a heart murmur, and that was 2 years ago. Nobody is worried about it so I;m not going to worry about it either. And I have to have the same test's every year now. I swear if I get another nuclear stress test I'll be glowing in the dark.  Take care lot's o luv Billie.

And I'm so jealous you got to see stonehenge . I just reread your post and I have the same type of build like you, I'm so short waisted too. And I agree with you if something disagrees with me I get it right in the middle because there isn't anywhere else to go. Both my children were very small,Thank God. I'm 5'3 and I have 32 inch legs Ron is 6'2'' and he takes a 32 inch length.  I try to blame my big waist on a short ribcage. Hey what ever works right! Again lol Billie

#14 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi, Mike,

I'd been on 100 mg since starting Sprycel in 10/09. Edema has never been an issue for me, so I do wonder if this isn't more of an autoimmune response. I'm not sure what this means in terms of me being successful at a lower dose - at least in terms of avoiding future PEs.

Pat

Pat

#15 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hi Pat,

The goal is to get back on Sprycel as soon as practical. Once the PE resolves, I do suggest a lower dose at first. Perhaps 50mg. would enable you to stay on Sprycel every day. The good news is that low dose Sprycel can work very effectively. Dr. Cortes has dozens of patients on low dose. Although my MMR after seven months at 20mg. was on the edge of his statistics (i.e. I had a faster response than expected), his interns told me that he is preparing papers on the efficacy of low dose Sprycel as an alternative to drug interruption, stimulation and switching. Perhaps he'll present his findings at a future ASH conference.

In the mean time, you should consult seriously with your Oncologist about resuming Sprycel at a lower dose and then track PCR response over 3 months. If your PCR numbers continue downward - you have a new plan with less side affects. If PCR increases, then you might consider switching drugs or going back to the normal dose and watch for PE.

I believe you will do very well at lower dose. Just keep in mind I am at 20mg. .... 1/5th the normal dose and my PCR has plummeted. Feel free to mention that to your doctor.

All the best,

Michael

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#16 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hi Pat,

I took tramadol for a few years, the nice thing about it is I had not one side effect and it did help the discomfort I was experiencing.  I spent two weeks off Sprycel last fall and although I drove myself crazy worrying about the loss of response (I had none, more worry wrinkles for nothing) I felt great.  Enjoy your time and try not to worry so much.  Let us know how you are doing.  Take care.

Pam

#17 BethG

BethG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi Pat,

Yes, I've been doing great until recently. I might be having a bout of pancreatitis...we'll see. It is very uncomfortable, but I'm trucking along.

BethG

#18 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks, Michael,

I had meant to ask you about your ideas on the subject so I'm glad you got back to me so quickly. Dr. S and I had already discussed lower doseage if necessary, and I think it will be, at least for awhile. The only question is how low?

I had intended to push for 50 mg. to start. Trust me, I don't like the idea of being off S, but I honestly think I waited too  long as it is. I don't think I would have all this pain if I'd insisted sooner.

I'm just so disappointed since after the first few months I was tolerating Sprycel so well! I'm not a jack rabbit responder and I may never get to CMR so I hope that a lower dose will still allow me retain MMR.

Pat

Pat

#19 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Billie,

As usual you cheered me up and made me laugh! I can totally relate to what you were saying about inseams. I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam, my husband is 6'4" and the same. Our oldest son is 6'7" with a 35" inseam. I used to laugh and say I had to start wearing maternity clothes 3 days after I found out I was pregnant because there was no place for the baby to go except out in front!

Pat

Pat

#20 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Beth,

I'm sorry to hear that, I have heard that pancreatitis can be very unpleasant. I hope there are things that can be done to help you manage it. I suppose anything worth eating is out of the question. (It always comes back to food for me.)

I know at one time they were saying that ponatinib may have the least amount of side effects of all the TKIs but according to things Jerry Mayfield has been posting on his site the thinking may have changed on that.

Take care and let me know how you are doing.

Pat

Pat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users