Photo

Why aren't all people sedated with bone marrow biopsies?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

I had a bone marrow biopsy in November. I was sedated and felt nothing. I need another one in May and I'm ALREADY freaking out. I know I will be sedated but it's a different doctor and hospital and I'm just worried. Would appreciate others bone marrow biopsy stories. Why are some people not sedated? It seems pretty barbaric to do on a conscious person!

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

It depends upon the person.  I prefer to NOT be sedated.  I don't like sedation or how it makes me feel.  I like to be able to drive myself to and from the appointment (on the motorcycle, even).  I like to be able to talk to the doc during the procedure and know what is going on.  For me, a BMB is uncomfortable but not a huge deal.  I have a high pain tolerance and find that if you keep your butt muscles relaxed it's easy to get through the procedure with just some discomfort and a few painful moments.

Marnie

#3 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I am not sure why.  I have had two of them, first one I was given pain meds, but not sedated.  Second one, sedated.  MUCH better.  Will not have it done any other way. 

Caroline

#4 mcfowler33

mcfowler33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

I was only put out for the first ever biopsy.  Have had around 5 since.  Usually will have a heavy duty pain med that also helps with the worries, but last time I had just local anesthetic in the interest of being able to drive.  There wasn't much difference without the pain med except for after it may have hurt a little more/longer.  I also prefer to be awake, although it does hurt a bit more than being out!  I would say that if you are afraid or worried about it, just ask for pain meds or to be put out completely.  They will surely do what you want in the situation - after all you are the paying customer.

#5 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

I prefer not to be put under as the anesthesia would probably make me sick.  I had one bone marrow biopsy so far and just had a local, didn't hurt but was sore for several days after...

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi:  I had a few very painful BMB well I was doing the clinical trial, because they were doing them in the doctors office, and not in the hospital that was running the trial.  That part I was not happy about.  The doctor would just give me a shot of Lidocaine, and then do the BMB.  I am a very  hard stick, which every doctor has told me, and the pain was unbearable.  This was all because your not charged any money well doing the trial, and they would not pay for the expense of having it done in a hospital setting.  Now this was back in 2000,therefore, I do not know what the protocol is now with most Trials.  When my regular Oncologist did my biopsy, I got Lidocaine, and a IV with Versed and he would put in some Demerol into the IV.  I was in a semi-sleep mode.  I could hear what was going on around me, but felt nothing.  They tried using just the Versed IV Drip with the Lidocaine the first time, and he said I yelled with pain.

I thought I had a high tolerance for pain, but I guess in this situation I did not.

Everyone is different, as Marnie said she can tolerate the procedure.  Then there are others like me.

I would just ask for whatever you had when you got the other BMB.  Tell them to check with the doctor who did your other one, and what he used.

#7 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Too costly and time-consuming-ie. a disregard for the patient. Frank

#8 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Great points Marnie, I am with you.  Although I had three failed attempts, then one successful bone marrow biopsy to date, I am not a fan of sedation and prefer to be awake when someone is sticking a divining rod in my side.  Although the procedure is not one my of favorite pastimes by far, I didn't mind it too much, this of course is taking into consideration I ignore the sensation I wet myself when they hit pay dirt during the procedure while securing the biopsy.  After fifteen minutes or so I was back in the waiting room with my husband and counting the days till the results came in.  I believe a higher pain tolerance is important, but your suggestion of relaxing, (if possible) all muscles not only the gluteus maximus is the best way to get through the procedure with no sedation.

#9 Mile_Hi_Warrior

Mile_Hi_Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

I've had 15 of them and never been sedated. They always offer it, but it turns a 45 min office visit into a 4 hour event. I have obviously become used to it now, and I can tell you one thing for sure...the person doing it makes a huge difference. I prefer the side method over the stomach, and generally prefer a female non doctor.

#10 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hey, Mile-Hi. . .just wondering if you're from the Mile High city of Denver?  If so, we're neighbors.

Marnie

#11 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Mine was pretty similar to having a cavity filled.  In both cases, the numbing shot hurts, but the procedure doesn't.  Sedation has some risks, and I can't see having it for something that isn't seriously painful.  I told the doctor I wished he had a mirror so I could see what he was doing.

P.S. Reading some of your stories makes me nervous about having another one. Maybe I was just lucky or got a good dr, but mine was really not a big deal at all.  I truly am a wimp about pain, but mine was not painful; the numbing shot was the most uncomfortable part of the entire procedure.  I did have to take some motrin at night time for about 3 nights afterward, but motrin was strong enough to keep the pain at bay so I could sleep.

#12 Mile_Hi_Warrior

Mile_Hi_Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

I live in Centennial...C470/Unniversity. Where are you?

#13 idahobeavers

idahobeavers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

ok i vote to be sedated i have had only 2 in 2 years. i know bad oncs. but none the less its a royal PAIN in the a** to have it done. id rather be put in twilight. then to feel the pain and it was done with a local plus pain and anti anxiety meds. so call me a wimp. but so be it i vote TWILIGHT  thank you !!!!!!!!!!

#14 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

I've only had one so far and it was during the time of my diagnosis, so needless to say I was a little on the stressed side. I really didn't want sedation, as I am scared of intravenous anything, especially anaesthetic/sedation stuff so I specifically asked not to have it. They overruled me about 10 minutes in and said I had to have it as they couldn't get the needle in otherwise! I must have been tensing like a champ.

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#15 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

I think we had this conversation a year or two ago!  I knew there was someone in Centennial with a bike!  Just couldn't remember who it was.  I'm guessing it was you.

I'm in Lakewood.  South flank of Green Mountain.  Hoping for some warmer weather so I can get out on the bike.  Our cul-de-sac finally melted out, so I guess it's time to plug in the heated gear and hit the road one of these days.

#16 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Why?  Because most docs never have the procedure themselves!  If they went through it, they might have a better perspective on what a patient goes thru.

Traci

#17 oldtree

oldtree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I seems prudent to me. I had a few with just a local anesthetic and wernt too bad, the morphine I was on helped too, But the pain became unbareble, so for the last few I insisted on being knocked out. I think hypnovel was used and didnt feel a thing, happy days. Yes I had to be admitted for them overnight but I'll take that rather than that pain, I'll never forget it.

#18 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I just have one additional question.  Why are so many people having so many BMBs and what are you seeing from them that you don't from your PCR testing?  I've had just one BMB when I was DX back in 2008 and have not had another since.  I'm PCRU for just over two years now and only have my PCR testing twice a year now.  Any value in all these BMBs?????  Heck, I'm not looking forward to more tests, I'm look forward going from 400mg to 200mg of G in another year or so.

Also, I'll join in with the Denver folks. I ride a Suzuki Boulevard M50 (and like Marnie, waiting for better weather), live in Parker, and work at C470/Broadway...

John

#19 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hmmm. .sounds like maybe we need to get some folks out for a ride when the weather warms up a bit.  Peak-to-Peak to Golden Gate Canyon, or for a longer ride, to RMNP and Trail Ridge Road.  If anyone's up for gravel, we haven't done Fall River Road, but are looking forward to it one of these days.

#20 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I was told I probably will not have another BMB unless my PCR shows elevated levels.  I wonder if it is not a doctor preference, or old school vs. new generation.  I am curious as to the opinions, I thought I would be going through another BMB in January, and this is when I was told the PCR is adequate for testing.  Nope I did not complain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users