• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ndaoust

ndaoust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Is anyone aware of any studies showing taking one dose of 300mg of nilotinib a day is sufficient for controlling CML?

Thanks,

ndaoust

#2 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I just spent some time looking but can't find any evidence to support a lower dosage. How did you hear of this?

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#3 mcfowler33

mcfowler33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

Not aware of any studies, but I have been on 300 mg Tasigna for the past 6 weeks.  I started on 600 mg and it tanked my blood counts so bad I had to stop.  When my blood counts came up a bit (after about 3 months) we started again on 300 mg.  Just had a PCR after 6 weeks on 300 and my PCR has gone up by about 80 on the int'l scale, so apparently its not really controlling mine at least. Keep in mind, I have not hit PCRu though and it could be much different for someone in remission.  I am now up to 450 mg and have had 2 platelet transfusions in 2 weeks...

Marc

#4 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

i was taking tasigna 400 twice a day  it was working great but for the two months my doc had me taking it 1 hr after i had eaten and it should been 2 hrs after i have eaten. and i think that made my enzymes up to 118 , so i had to stop for 1 month and then started at 600 a day ... right now i am taking 200 in the morning and 400 at night .. because my meds are coming in the mail. then i will  be taking 300 morning and at night. and all is good .thank GOD.  i can't spell well Thanks Mark. boston Ma..

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

When there are significant side effects from the drug, the dosage can be lowered, usually to 400mg once per day.  But the effectiveness will usually be less at the lower dosage for most people.  If a person has a rapid response to Tasigna, the lower dosage may be enough over a longer term.  So in general, the response at lower levels varies by the individual.

Just as a side issue, the reason that Tasigna dosing instructions say to take it without food is that some foods may increase the effectiveness of the drug, such that it can be the same as taking higher drug dosage.  Not saying it is a good idea, but on lower daily dosage, and no heart QT interval issues, would the food restriction still be necessary?  Seems like it might not be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users