#1 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi everyone,

My name is Jean, Im 35 and I was dignosed with CML (positive for the Philidelphia Chromosome) about 2 weeks ago. I started taking Gleevec a week later and am supposed to have a blood draw tomorrow.  I was referred to this site by my Oncologist and I LOVE it! Everyone seems so friendly and understanding. Its very comforting to know that I can find others who can associate and understand what I am going through.

I am still learning a lot about CML and have a question. Ive been working as a diagnostic Xray Tech for 6 years now and I was wondering if maybe being exposed to the radiation might have caused the chromosome switch? I read that it would take an exposure equivalent to that of an atomic bomb - but I am exposed to live radiation daily. I guess my most pressing question is not really HOW I got it, but will working as a Xray tech, still being exposed, will that counter the work that the Gleevec is doing? Am I making the fight that much harder? I want to help my body and way I can...

Thank you so much for such a great site!!

Jean

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

Welcome.  Diagnostic Xrays have not been connected to causing CML, but there is also no way to say it is impossible.  Generally, it seems unlikely that a build-up of small exposures would be a cause, since the CML translocation is a single event that occurs all at once.  So the relationship between the two is doubtful.

As related to drug effectiveness and Xray tech work, there would be no negative impact.  If it were me, I would have no issue continuing to work as an Xray tech while being treated for CML. 

This may help you get started:

http://community.lls.org/message/23025

#3 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi Jean,

I don't think any of us will ever know how we got it.  My oncologist has never said anything about not getting x-rays.  I doubt it has any effect on gleevec.  If you enjoy your job, keep doing it.  :-)

Rissa

#4 AmyH

AmyH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi Jean,

I was also just diagnosed on January 5th.  I'll be 31 next week.  I really love this support group and have been given a ton of great information here! 

Amy

#5 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hi Jean,

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join. You will get great information here as well as a ton of support. Ask as many questions as you like and vent whenever you need to. We are all here for you.

Judy

#6 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Jean, 

There are different types of radiation, with differing ability to do damage. The type of radiation coming from an atomic explosion is extremely powerful, so it's not surprising there is a higher preponderance of cml cases with that.  More power equals more chromosome damage.

X-rays are powerful enough to damage DNA, but that's why they use shielding, etc., to provide greater protection. If you have been following proper procedures, I would think the risk is low.

Here is a paper that raises the question of low dose radiation and chromosome damage. The authors show a statistically significant increase, but it's not a huge, whopping increase, so I really can't put this into context.  I think the authors are saying "hey, we should keep an eye on this".

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3075914/

If it were me, I'd want to make sure I was following recommended safety practices for X-ray techs (I'd think there would be some OSHA regs on this), and  then make sure the instruments I used were in good working condition. Not sure of industry standards, but I would think they would test periodically to make sure there are no radiation leaks around the instrument, that is, the X-rays go where directed, and don't stray elsewhere.  Do they ever do dosimetry badges to check your level of exposure on a typical workday?  (We do this where I work, to monitor exposure to solvents, benzene in particular.)

I would not be concerned with X-rays making the cml less responsive. I would be concerned in limiting exposure in general, just to limit chromosomal damage in general. I'm not saying your job caused your cml.  I am saying that it is prudent to make sure you follow recommended safety practices, and that you are working with properly operating equipment.

Sorry, not trying to scare you, I just deal with worker safety quite often, and have to ask and answer similar questions.

Traci

#7 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry you had to join our little club!! You will find alot of helpful advise here. The best part is, if you are experiencing something you can check this site and sure enough, someone else has experienced the exact same thing. You don't feel like you are alone, you feel you can talk about what is happening to you and the people here understand.  I just want to say that I thought for the longest time I got my CML from having to bleach the floor in the garage because a rat got trapped in there and pooped all over.I didn't have a mask on to clean it at the time. My doctor doesn't think that was the cause, but I still blame it on the rats.

#8 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi Jean,

Nice to meet you, and as a person who was diagnosed 4 months ago, I can tell you, you found a good place.  These people listen, advise, support, and make you laugh. 

Welcome

Pam

#9 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thank you for your warm and welcoming responses everyone!!  I am so grateful to be a part of this group

#10 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi Traci! Thank you so much for the information! And yes, I am very aware of my time/distance/shielding. I'm the crazy one that (sometimes) wears 2 gowns at once! That's why I was so unsure if that could even BE a possibility. But thank you for your response. Its comforting to know that I have knowledgeable friends to talk to...

#11 Ted

Ted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Welcome Jean, sorry you had to become a member of this group. I was dx about 7 weeks ago and found this group to be quite helpful. I don't post often as my typing skills are somewhat suspect ( hunt and peck style )

but I do hang around and read the others posts.  This is a great bunch of people who will provide a wealth of information on CML.

Ted

#12 Lisal

Lisal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi Jean,

I am an x-ray tech too, for 20 years. I was diagnosed in May 2007, at age 40.   I am in admin now so haven't done x-rays for a few years.  When first diagnosed, many of us try to figure out what caused the CML.  As techs, we know that high doses of radiation can cause cancer.  And you know diagnostic x-rays are not high doses. But still, we all wonder.  I acutally went to a genetic counselor and she explained that it takes 6 different 'hits' on a gene to cause the gene to mutate. Could be that one of the 'hits' was diagnostic radiation but who knows what the other five 'hits' could be.  You may still be exposed to radiation, but you already have CML and radiation is not going to make that worse or stop the Gleevec, whether you accumulate the dose as a tech or patient.  You know the principles (time, distance, shielding),  Just to try to avoid holding, apron up and make sure you have your film badge on just as you would any other day.  Maybe have your radiation safety officer re-evaluate your film badge reports. Feel free to message me if you want to talk further.

Lisa

#13 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I was JUST THINKING OF THIS this am. I went to school for X-ray tech for one semester 13 years ago and quit because I can't handle medical things. I am a teacher now. I was just thinking "If I had worked as one, I wonder if I would be blaming my leukemia on it." I was only exposed for one semester so I doubt that was ANYTHING but my dr. told me it's just a fluke. It just happens to some people for whatever reason...

I was dx 3 months ago and have responded GREAT to Tasigna.

#14 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Is it silly to be worried about having x-rays and other scans done now? I have to have some CT scans done and I am wondering (maybe irrationally) that we may be more susceptible to translocations from radiation now and should I avoid having them done?...

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#15 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi Pin,

You can't have an MRI instead? They are a bit dearer than a CT Scan and found only in specilaised centers, but appears to be safer than a CT scan.

http://www.betterhea.../pages/MRI_scan

http://www.abc.net.a.../11/3290494.htm

#16 momofwy

momofwy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

I would assume it does increase the risk of cancer.  The following is copied from NCI:

"Scientists believe that ionizing radiation causes leukemia, thyroid cancer, and breast cancer in women. Ionizing radiation may also be linked to myeloma and cancers of the lung, stomach, colon, esophagus, bladder, and ovary. Being exposed to radiation from diagnostic x-rays increases the risk of cancer in patients and x-ray technicians."

http://www.cancer.go...w/patient/page3

#17 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Pin asked specifically about secondary translocations.  While overall we have an increased probability of cancers from the multitude of things the NCI says can increase susceptibility (including red meat, fatty foods, etc) it does not say that those increases are very, very small.  The risk of chromosome translocations is extremely tiny from such diagnostic tests.  The benefits normally outweigh the risk, otherwise we would not accept them as useful. 

#18 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Gerry - I've already had these ones. I the in the future though I will request an MRI if it will do the same thing and offers less radiation. Thanks for the advice :)

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

#19 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Trey - that was essentially my question :)

I guess the reason I'm wondering is - is there any evidence to suggest I should be even more careful than other people? Also, when you say '"we" have an increased probability' are you referring to people with CML, or the population in general? I know the risks are small - but are they potentially greater for people who have already had translocations and therefore may be more susceptible to influences like meat/radiation?

I realise there may not be any evidence for this, so It may not be worth wondering about!

#20 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

We are no more likely to get another cancer than anyone else. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users