• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

My dr. said absolutely NO ibuprofen, Aleve or Aspirin. Only Tylenol, Codeine and Vicodin. It is listed in the brochure of the Tasigna to avoid ibuprofen and that's what Motrin is, so please stop taking it. I am glad I was given Tasigna from the start. Gleevec sounds horrible. How are you doing? My blood tests look great so far. My WBC went from 31 to 3 in a month. I was lucky and was dx really early with WBC at 31. We think the disease just started.

I believe the reason we aren't allowed the anti-inflamatories is because it thins the blood. Not allowed to have grapefruit either. I'm surprised your dr. didn't mention it. The first thing he said was no grapefruit or anti-inflammatories.

#22 Pinkbubbles9642

Pinkbubbles9642

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Wow that makes me very nervous! I knew about the grapefruit but not the ibprofen,  that's why I didn't go on sprycel because I'm on medications that have ibprofen in it. he said sprycel you can't have with it so let's try tasigna so I didn't have to switch all my meds.... great, I'm calling him first thing tomorrow morning to ask because that's scary. I take like 4 ibprofen a day! I just started tasigna so haven't had the blood work yet I go tomorrow for it. I know it's made me tired as heck, I sleep all the time and just not a huge fan or it nor Gleevec but it's a chemo i don't think anyone would be thrilled with it so I don't complain too much. I'm praying it works, I meet with the bone marrow transplant doctor in two weeks. Terrified...

#23 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Vicodin has Tylenol in it...so that's ok. If your dr. tells you ibuprofen is ok then please let me know because mine said absolutely not and I MISS it. Tylenol does nothing for me.

#24 Pinkbubbles9642

Pinkbubbles9642

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

will do hun!

#25 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

Hi MJ,

I've had cramps since I first started my periods - going on the pill will usually stop the cramps. I had a number of years of being period pain free while on it, the cramps returned once I went off the pill.

Found this explanation - you may be more sensitive to prostaglandin since starting TKIs.

When you have your period, tiny molecules called prostaglandins are released by your body to help the muscle of the uterus contract. These contractions occur allowing the uterus to expel its lining (endometrium). This happens as the endometrium would only be needed if an egg was fertilised.

The strength of the contractions depends on the amount of prostaglandins your body produces. If your body produces a lot of these molecules, or if you are particularly sensitive to them, you will feel pain.

#26 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

MJ,

One non-cml reason for that kind of pain with periods is endometriosis. It can be very painful. Definitely see your gyno to rule it out. Not sure if methods have changed, but when I was checked for endo, it required a laparoscopic procedure. Up to you of you want to got that far to rule it out.

Traci

#27 cleocans

cleocans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

My periods started getting heavier once they got regular again.   I asked my onc about it at my last appt. on the 18th.  She didn't seem overly concerned just told me to keep an eye on it.  To make sure it doesn't start lasting longer.  It is definitely not enjoyable!  I'm on Sprycel.  My once said it could be from the TKI's

#28 cmlquestions

cmlquestions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

I had the same issue with more frequent, longer, and heavier menstrual periods while on Tasigna.  It was one of many side effects I had on the drug.  Both times I've taken extended breaks from Tasigna, the periods have quickly returned to normal.  It is definitely a side effect of the drug.

#29 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

That definitely sounds like endometriosis.  I've got it and I get cramps that make me feel like I'm in labor.  You should see your gynecologist.  When I told mine about it, he said he could put me on some type of medication to force me into menopause.  However, he said I could only be on it for a few months and once I got off the drug, the endometriosis would come back.  I said no thanks, I'll just deal with it.  Hopefully, I'll hit menopause early.  I'm 43 now.  And this all happened long before my CML diagnosis.  So I don't think there is a connection.  After my diagnosis (April '11), my periods got very heavy, like 5 overnight pads in 6 hours one day.  I did mention it to my onc and he said it was probably because I'm anemic.  I take 2 iron pills a day and my period seems to be returning to normal. 

#30 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Rissa,

Can't they do a laparoscopic procedure and just clean the adhesions out?  I thought that's what they did for endo, at least that was what was offered to me.  I had a laparoscope to check it out when I was 30. Couldn't get pg, and that was the suspected reason.  Turned out my tubes were malformed since birth, so not endo at all. 

Years later, after IVF and 3 kids, I had a laparoscope to tie my tubes (just in case), and they found a little endo then so just removed them since they were already in there.

Traci

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users