Photo

Is it possible to get CML from a cadaver bone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Long story short, I had occasion this weekend to mull over my dental implant history.  I had a cadaver bone transplant first before I got the dental implant because my bone was destroyed by an infection.  Thinking back on the timing, it's about right for when CML must have started.

The other thing that worries me is that I got the transplant right after that scandal about a mortuary illegally selling body parts, some of which were used for cadaver bone, even though they weren't properly treated or certified to be from disease-free individuals.  Remember, the guy who used to host movies on a&e  or TCM (Alistair Cook?) was one of the "victims" - if a dead person can be a victim, that is.  I even asked the oral surgeon if I needed to ask for a provenance of the cadaver bone. 

So, that has me wondering if cadaver bone would possibly contain any marrow or stem cells.  I tried to google it, but all I get is BMT-related hits.

Well, what do you think?  Any chance cadaver bone could transmit leukemic stem cells?

TIA,

Traci

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Only possible if the HLA type was highly compatible, which is very unlikely.  And leukemic stem cells do not normally hide in jaw bones since they have no marrow.

Alstair Cook hosted Masterpiece Theater until 1992, and now Robert Osbourne.

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Thanks, Trey, I hadn't considered the HLA match part.  So even if the bone was part of that scandal and improperly prepared, and just happened to contain a tiny bit of marrow, any LSC likely would not have been a match and would not engraft.  Sum all those probabilities and it's got to be I fnfinitesimal.

Good, now I feel better about not insisting on documentation for that cadaver bone.

Traci

#4 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

Glad this question was asked. I have cadaver bone in my lower back and have often wondered if it caused my CML. When I was first dx my Onc was excited by this news and was going to speak to my surgeon. He asked me if I knew where it came from and I told him Chicago. My question ... is Traci's cadaver bone from another jaw or could it come from a different area of the body? My donated bone was several small pieces of cadaver bone that were implanted and expected to grow and fuse with my spine. Would my donated bone have to come from another spine?

#5 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

It's always startling to someone from this side of the pond that Americans mainly know Alastair Cooke as 'the guy who presented Masterpiece Theatre'.  Over here we know him for the longest running speech radio programme in history.  He broadcast a weekly 'Letter from America', evey week for 58 years, which was the principle source of information we had about real life in the US.  Whilst every other foreign correspondent based themselves in Washington and reported on politics, he lived in New York and talked about whatever he found interesting.  Lovely guy and for all that we deplore the bodysnatching that went on, it would be nice to think that maybe Happycat has a bit of his bone in her jaw when she talks!

Phil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users