• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MJB

MJB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't think I will ever understand these reports. Seems like the longer I have cml, the more there is to understand! Thank goodness you are all here to come to with questions, worries and thoughts.

My bma report says that the M:E ratio is decreased. Small clusters of lymphocytes and areas with more lymphocytes (up to 35 percent) are seen. Other than low myeloid eries along with the high lymphoid and monocytic series, everything is normal.

As someone in ccyr, should I be concerned about any of this? What does it mean, if anything?

Thank you!

IForget

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

M:E ratio shows the proportion of WBCs to RBCs being manufactured in the marrow.  When diagnosed with CML the M:E ratio will be very high since there are far too many WBCs (generally neutrophils) being made.  After taking TKI drugs for a while, the WBC count is often lower than normal.  This will show up also in the M:E ratio, which will then be low.  The good news is that you likely have plenty of RBCs.  Even a normal M:E ratio in someone with low WBCs and low RBCs is not a positive indicator.  So this is fairly normal for someone on a TKI drug with somewhat low WBC.

#3 MJB

MJB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thank you Trey for the information about M:E ratio. Can you give me any information about why my lymphocytes would be increased?

You're the Best!!

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

When dealing with percentages of cells in a blood sample, they must add up to 100%.  Because the neutrophils are low, the percentage of lymphocytes (T-cells, B-cells, NK-cells) will be artificially high, even though the absolute lymphocyte count is normal (which I assume is true for you).  So you should ignore the percentages, which are distorted by the low neutrophil count, and look at the absolute counts to determine if the lymphocytes are actually higher than normal.

#5 MJB

MJB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

I understand. Does it work the someway when dealing with bone marrow results?

IForget

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users