Photo

Help a paranoid guy out with food interactions...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

So, I'm on Tasigna, and even though I'm "over" the long QT thing, there is still part of me deep down that is chicken about it.  And I only really get worried when I'm around something that could increase my drug levels.

For example, I bought some stress and relaxation bath salts.  It said juniper, menthol and orange.  Well I looked on the ingredients, and it has citrus aurantium dulcis essential oil.  I know that citrus aurantium is Seville orange, but I couldn't tell if citrus aurantium dulcis is something different.  I look on the US Novartis site and it doesn't mention Seville oranges (only grapefruit), but the international site does mention it as something to avoid due to increasing TKI plasma levels.  Part of me thought, what the heck, just use the bath salts.  But there was the 1% irrational part of me that made me chicken out.  I knew it would probably make me more stressed to know that this could affect me, since your skin can absorb these things.

I bought some herbal tea and it says orange peel--I'm pretty sure they would specify "seville orange peel" (although that would be a bad, bitter tea)--and part of me was actually worried about it being a Seville orange, even though I know it's regular orange.  Out of frustration I bought it anyway just to prove to myself.

So, can anyone help reassure me on this, that using the bath salts once a week, if that, won't spike my TKI levels--if anything they'd probably be regularized the next day--and that even one cup of grapefruit juice every so often isn't going to cause me to keel over dead?

That 1% irrationality is holding me back and I hate it.

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hey, Taylor. . .

There are lots of folks on this site who eat grapefruit and seville oranges and are doing just fine. I've had a grapefruit or two since starting TKIs and my numbers are looking pretty good.  Enjoy your bath salts, and don't worry if you happen to dunk your head and and swallow some water.  I'm guessing that the bath salts will do wonders for your skin and your stress level.  GO FOR IT!!

Marnie

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

As long as you do not drink the bath salts and bathe in the tea you will be fine.  And that thingy about your 1% irrationality -- PhilB will want to check your maths skills.  They seem a wee tad off.

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

Hi Taylor,

It's natural to look at things suspiciously in the beginning, I contemplated getting rid of my mullberry tree in my backyard as mullberries supposedly increase side effects. I've kept it and even eaten mullberries off it, without noticing any increase in side effects. It probably comes down to how sensitive you are to the drugs, side effects wise and how much you eat of these things.

Enjoy your baths and have a cup of tea while you're in there, and as Trey says don't get the two confused.

#5 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the assurance everyone. 

Trey's right--did I say 1%?  I meant 99%, other way around

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Dear Taylor,

Eat, drink, and be merry, just don't mistake brylcream for toothpaste and you'll be fine. It's normal to be a bit paranoid about everything at first, probably because we don't know how we got this stupid cml in the first place. The only big fear I have is starting any kind of new med when I'm alone I got stung by a bee years ago and went into antylphalctic shock and I blew up like a helium balloon so even if I take a new antibiotic I make sure I'm not alone. Stupid hangup!  Just remember not everything is cml related. I'm trying to blame my cellulite on it nobody's buying that excuse either!

Hang in there    Billie

#7 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Other link about this subject: Food and Drug Interactions in CML

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users